Dake Bible Discussion BoardIs there a literal Hell?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.

Is there a literal Hell?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes: 7

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by luchnia »

rstrats wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:47 am
Ironman,
re: "'Rev. 14:9-11 also proves that men will be tormented in the presence of God and angels forever.'"

I don't see where those verses prove or say that. While they do say that there will be torment in fire and brimstone, they don't say that the torment will continue forever, i.e., never end. They also say that there will be no rest day or night. But they don't say for how long that will last.
dat be true...a lot of questions can be asked of those scriptures. The smoke may go up forever, but is that for the same torments or torments upon various individuals? Scripture is never specific on certain things such as saying, "These same individuals will be tormented forever." There are so many things we don't know and all we can do is assume.

No doubt, not a good place to be. Will a sinner be tormented in the "degree" in which the sin was committed? Will the length of time for individual torment be equal to the time that the evil was committed? How will the judgment be passed? I could go on and on with this.

Revelation 20 has some interesting verses. We do see the terms forever and ever mentioned pertaining the devil, beast, and false prophet. I think there is a much bigger picture and a much more detailed one than we have.

Word up!

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

Luchnia,
re: "We do see the terms forever and ever mentioned pertaining the devil, beast, and false prophet."

And as the KJV has it, not even the beast and false prophet are assigned that fate.
Last edited by rstrats on Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Like death it is horrifying thought to me.

It has caused great controversy and pain.

We know in part and prophesy in part.

But i do believe there is a Heaven to gain and a Hell to shun.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Rev 14:10-11: 10, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

They shall be tormented with fire and brimstone FOR EVER AND EVER: and they have no rest day or night, As Ripley said, believe it or not. I believe what I am reading in this Scripture.

Its a waste of time discussing Scriptures with people who do not believe what they read.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I agree with you on this Haz. :angel:

Luke 16:19-31 says the rich man lift up his eyes in Hell being in torments.

Reverend Dake in his section War on the Saints in the Dake Bible and Gods Plan For Man

says that denial of Hell is the work of evil forces.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Yes, Its the work of the devil billy. He does not want people to believe he and hell exist. He knows where he will end up and he wants to drag as many people as he can there with him. He hates us as much as he hates God. In the near future men on Earth will be able to look into a real burning Hell under the Earth. This is plainly stated in Isa. 66:22-24 where the prophet predicts that all natural men in the New earth will be able to look into Hell upon the men that have sinned against God. Scripture also teaches that there will be degrees of punishment in Hell as far as remorse and torment of the conscience is concerned (Matt. 10:15; 11:22; 12:41; 23:14; Mark 6:11; 12:40; Luke 10:14; 11:31, 32; 20:47).

Jesus said this;

Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

rstrats
Zechariah

Post by rstrats »

Ironman,
re: "They shall be tormented with fire and brimstone FOR EVER AND EVER..."

What verse in what version/translation says that?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

Denial of Hell and Worship on the Lord's Day go against Orthodoxy.

rstrats wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:31 pm
Ironman,

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

rstrats wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:31 pm
Ironman,

Rev 14:10-11: KJV,
V, 10, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

V. 11, And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up FOR EVER AND EVER: AND THEY HAVE NO REST DAY OR NIGHT, , who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

There is something to be said for adding things to God's word and also making it mean something that is not there. Who is denying hell? I may have missed someone posted that, but I do not deny hell's existence.

Dake does not even state what is stated here on this subject. At any rate it is important to read what God's word states. Let's take the scriptures that are misunderstood and look at them.

Revelation 14:9-11 (KJV)
9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:
11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

The first thing that must happen to this group of people is that they must worship the beast and his image and receive his mark in his forehead or in his hand. Then the same shall drink the wine of the wrath of God. We also see they will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and the Lamb. Not one mention of forever and ever in that verse about that particular group, so to make that mean something else is conjecture.

Next we see that what happens forever and ever is the smoke of their torment ascends up. Up to where? We simply do not know as it is not stated. We also see they have no rest day nor night. It is not stated how long that is. It could be months or forever. It is not stated so to make it anything else is conjecture. Having incomplete information does not make a truth. In many cases one should simply leave it as it is and not add to it.

Why is it important to make these things mean something that is not stated in God's word and even Dake did not state? We can make assumptions yet that could fall in many ways. In my view there is a hell and eternal torments and I have nothing factual as to the details how they are doled out.

We see there is torment for those that take the mark, but what about the sinner's judgment on those that have sinned long before taking the mark of the beast and his number? That is another topic entirely.

Word up!