Dake Bible Discussion BoardCommon Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
rstrats
Mark

Re: Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Post by rstrats » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 am

branham1965,
re: "luchnia gave his opinion. Why keep pushing it?"

Because I'm trying to understand his opinion. How does he think it applies to my request?

BTW, why didn't you write anything in your post #5? You merely quoted ironman.

luchnia
The Chastisement of Our Peace Was Upon Christ

Post by luchnia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:17 pm

rstrats wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am
luchnia,
re: "I think anything presented would be bits taken out of context..."

Could you give an example of a bit that might be taken out of context as it relates to this topic?
Here is an example of taking something out of context and putting a meaning on it that would have to be contrived such as Sunday worship. Many will take this verse to mean a gathering of the saints for first day of the week worship just because it has the two words "first day" in the sentence. I have actually heard people use this verse to support such teaching. Words mean something and context forms or shapes something to where hopefully one can understand what is meant.

1 Cor 16:2
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

Looking at more verses you start to arrive at a totally different meaning, yet nothing in these text are given in micro detail and one can make it mean pretty much anything they want. We at least know it has to do with the collection for the saints.

1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.
2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
4 And if it be meet that I go also, they shall go with me.
5 Now I will come unto you, when I shall pass through Macedonia: for I do pass through Macedonia.
6 And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go.
7 For I will not see you now by the way; but I trust to tarry a while with you, if the Lord permit.
8 But I will tarry at Ephesus until Pentecost.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:22 pm

rstrats wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm
1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone who thinks that it was common could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.
BTW, I tend to agree with Dake's view on the resurrection as he makes the most solid points with supporting scriptures. I believe the words Jesus spoke were not vague about days and nights spent.

I remember many years ago having a "check" in my inner man about the teaching of Good Friday and all that type of stuff concerning Jesus. I often thought where did those weird terms come from and plowing in I found they were not based from sound biblical evidence but contrived by men.

Word up!

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:19 am

Spiritblade Disciple,
re: "...I don't think you'll find many sixth day of the week crucifixion advocates, here..."

So far that seems to be the case. But there don't need to be many - only 1 will do. And they don't need to be here now. Someone new in the future may stumble in on this topic.

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:26 am

luchnia,
re: "Here is an example of taking something out of context and putting a meaning on it that would have to be contrived such as Sunday worship."

I'm still trying to see how this relates to figures of speech/colloquialisms. Most likely my fault, not yours.

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm

rstrats wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:26 am
luchnia,
re: "Here is an example of taking something out of context and putting a meaning on it that would have to be contrived such as Sunday worship."

I'm still trying to see how this relates to figures of speech/colloquialisms. Most likely my fault, not yours.
I don't know that it does all that much. I was merely referring to how things are misunderstood because of using them out of context and not so much a word or phrase that is not literal like colloquail items. Sorry if that got sideways.

Word up!

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

luchnia,
re: "I don't know that it does all that much. I was merely referring to how things are misunderstood because of using them out of context and not so much a word or phrase that is not literal like colloquail items."

OK, no problem. Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:53 am

Number 3 of the OP should be changed from (Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb) to (Of those, there are some who think that the 3 days and 3 nights count started when the Messiah was placed in the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).