Dake Bible Discussion BoardCommon Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
rstrats
Mark

Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Post by rstrats » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm

1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone who thinks that it was common could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.

macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member

Re: Common Figure of Speech/Colloquial Language?

Post by macca » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:53 am

I have even heard that Jonah was not dead during those 3 days and 3 nights.....

I believe what these people are doing is trying to fit their belief that the sabbath mentioned is the normal weekly sabbath
that started 6 pm Friday. When in fact John plainly states that day was the day of preparation for the Passover,, twice,,,,
And the translator even added ( for that sabbath was a high day)......

The Holy Spirit added emphasis that this was not the normal sabbath knowing that the gentiles would be confused by not
knowing Jewish law and customs.....

MACCA

For ALL the promises of God in Him are YES, and in Him AMEN, unto the glory of God by us.

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 am

macca,
Since you're not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably won't know of any examples.

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Ironman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 pm

rstrats wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm
1. The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth"

2. There are those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

3. Of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb.

4. A 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

5. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, some of those mentioned above say that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language.

6. I wonder if anyone who thinks that it was common could provide examples to support that belief; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of the daytime and/or no part of the night time could have occurred.
Matt. 12:40, For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the HEART OF THE EARTH.

2 Peter 2:4, For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

1 Peter 3:19, By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
By the Holy Spirit anointing Jesus preached to the angels in tartarus while His body was in the tomb.
Jesus was buried in a tomb, not a grave, One cannot walk in and out of a grave as Mary Magdalene and the other Mary did when told by the angle said, "Come, see the place where the Lord lay." (Matt. 28:6).

Eph. 4:8-9,
8, Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9, (Now that he ascended, what is it but that He DESCENDED FIRST INTO THE LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH?

The tomb where Jesus body was laid in was above the ground, His body was in the tomb, His Spirit went to hell, now we all know hell is not above ground, or in a tomb,

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:15 pm

:angel: :angel:

Ironman wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 pm
rstrats wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:42 pm

Matt. 12:40, For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the HEART OF THE EARTH.

2 Peter 2:4, For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

1 Peter 3:19, By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;
By the Holy Spirit anointing Jesus preached to the angels in tartarus while His body was in the tomb.
Jesus was buried in a tomb, not a grave, One cannot walk in and out of a grave as Mary Magdalene and the other Mary did when told by the angle said, "Come, see the place where the Lord lay." (Matt. 28:6).

Eph. 4:8-9,
8, Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9, (Now that he ascended, what is it but that He DESCENDED FIRST INTO THE LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH?

The tomb where Jesus body was laid in was above the ground, His body was in the tomb, His Spirit went to hell, now we all know hell is not above ground, or in a tomb,

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:54 pm

rstrats wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 am
Since you're not a 6th day of the week crucifixion advocate you probably won't know of any examples.
Hi, rstrats.

I am not Macca, but I don't think you'll find many sixth day of the week crucifixion advocates, here, as Dake was not a sixth day of the week crucifixion advocate, either. It's possible that someone, here is, but I don't have any idea who it might be, if there is such a person, here.

Welcome to the Dake Bible Discussion Board.

PARTAKERS OF CHRIST
"That the Gentiles should be FELLOWHEIRS, of the same body, and PARTAKERS of his promise in Christ by the gospel" (Eph. 3:6); "For we are made PARTAKERS OF CHRIST, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end" (Heb. 3:14).
Help for Today. Finis J. Dake.

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 am

Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.

luchnia
With Christ's Stripes We Are Healed

Post by luchnia » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 am

rstrats wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 am
Perhaps someone new looking in may know of examples.
I think anything presented would be bits taken out of context and not worthwhile, but that is my opinion.

Word up!

rstrats
Mark

Post by rstrats » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am

luchnia,
re: "I think anything presented would be bits taken out of context..."

Could you give an example of a bit that might be taken out of context as it relates to this topic?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 am

luchnia gave his opinion.

Why keep pushing it?

rstrats wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am
luchnia,
re: "I think anything presented would be bits taken out of context..."

Could you give an example of a bit that might be taken out of context as it relates to this topic?