Dake Bible Discussion BoardInterpretations?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
The Wicked Worketh a Deceitful Work: but to Him that Soweth Righteousness shall be a Sure Reward

Interpretations?

Post by luchnia »

When talking to folks about Jesus and salvation, you will often hear the comment, "Well each person has a different interpretation of the Bible." Recently I heard that a lady said this very thing. Her point was why seek Jesus since no one is on the same page about it. Each has their own belief or understanding about Jesus and God.

I had thought about the best way to approach this, yet you certainly cannot argue with what she is saying as it is certainly factual. Interpretations are all over the place these days and this from prominent speakers or as it is put "proven" men of God. These proven men of God hurt the situation by teaching a zillion different things, misleading many, and they don't agree on much of anything.

This is not a thread to argue about who is proven and who is not, but how to deal with the person that has listened to these people and that makes the statement that each has their own interpretation. The same people will use this as an excuse not to seek God on their own. It is a scapegoat they use to not be accountable for themselves.

What do you say to the person that is too lazy to even read their Bible and you know they need to know the saving power of God? This is not a made up example as I saw this very thing happen within the last two weeks and I heard it before many times. I think this is a huge problem in our society today. Leading them to the Word of God is extremely challenging as they do not see the need.

Word up!

titus213
He that Believeth Not Shall Be Damned

Re: Interpretations?

Post by titus213 »

Any Bible-believing person ought to be on the same page about Jesus and the way of salvation. We may have many differing thoughts about other matters, but when it comes to the most central issue of "What must I do to be saved," the answers shouldn't be all over the map. There were apparently a lot of differing viewpoints among Christ's early followers in Paul's day, too -- no doubt in part because they were just then trying to figure a lot of these things out! But in his evangelism, he made a decision:

"Brothers and sisters, when I came to you, I didn’t speak about God’s mystery as if it were some kind of brilliant message or wisdom. While I was with you, I decided to deal with only one subject—Jesus Christ, who was crucified. When I came to you, I was weak. I was afraid and very nervous. I didn’t speak my message with persuasive intellectual arguments. I spoke my message with a show of spiritual power so that your faith would not be based on human wisdom but on God’s power" (1 Cor 2.1-5 GW)

I have a Christian friend who is a carpenter. He and I have different viewpoints on who makes the best pizza in town. But when it comes to his work, we usually agree on how long a 2-foot measurement should be. And if there's any question whether he's measured only 1-1/2 feet we have an easy way to check: get a ruler.

He and I have differing interpretations on some things in the Word of God, like the timing of the Rapture. But when it comes to Jesus and His work of salvation, there's very little actual "interpretation." And we can always go to our ruler, the Bible.

I think you're right that this woman and those like her are deceived by the devil to use such an argument as a smokescreen. They are resisting God's drawing power and deep down they know it. People are lost first and foremost because they have allowed themselves to be deceived by untruth in reference to God, sin, and salvation. They have "exchanged God's truth for a lie" (Rom. 1:25). They have listened to the lying voices of our culture, voices that "use everything that God disapproves of to deceive those who are dying -- those who refused to love the truth that would save them" (2 Thess. 2:10). Sometimes people like the woman you describe try to get me off-subject to argue with them about evolution, gay rights, politics, the Flood, etc. All part of Satan's efforts to stay off-course and chase down rabbit trails.

All we can do, I think, is what Paul determined to do: keep the focus on Christ and Him crucified. That is the message that carries with it the promise of drawing all who hear it (John 12.32).

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

titus213 wrote:I have a Christian friend who is a carpenter. He and I have different viewpoints on who makes the best pizza in town. But when it comes to his work, we usually agree on how long a 2-foot measurement should be. And if there's any question whether he's measured only 1-1/2 feet we have an easy way to check: get a ruler.
I once met the man whose job it was to safeguard the official inch for the U.S. government. It is interesting to consider that standards such as the inch need to be guarded.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

It is not the faithful men and women of God who are to blame.No.

The Full Gospel folks i listen to are different in presentation.But the Word is the same.

Believers are to lower the net as the Lord leads.

It takes the Anointing of the Spirit to reach folks today.

Nothing else will help people.The Anointing breaks the yoke.

JESUS CHRIST IS LIFTED UP.ITS ABOUT JESUS THE ALPHA THE OMEGA THE BEGINNING AND THE ENDING,THE CHRIST WHO IS THE SAME YESTERDAY TODAY AND FOREVER.
WE PREACH JESUS AS SAVIOR ,JESUS AS HEALER ,JESUS AS BAPTIZER IN THE HOLY GHOST AND JESUS AS THE SOON COMING KING.

luchnia
The Wicked Worketh a Deceitful Work: but to Him that Soweth Righteousness shall be a Sure Reward

Post by luchnia »

I certainly appreciate and welcome all your comments concerning this matter.

Word up!

titus213

Post by titus213 »

:angel: :angel:
Spiritblade Disciple wrote: I once met the man whose job it was to safeguard the official inch for the U.S. government. It is interesting to consider that standards such as the inch need to be guarded.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

titus213 wrote:I have a Christian friend who is a carpenter. He and I have different viewpoints on who makes the best pizza in town. But when it comes to his work, we usually agree on how long a 2-foot measurement should be. And if there's any question whether he's measured only 1-1/2 feet we have an easy way to check: get a ruler.
I have found that most problems stem from the fact that some don't know how to read a ruler or don't use one often enough to read it that well.

For example my Dad was a carpenter. I grew up with a ruler in my hand (the old wooden fold-out 6' ruler). Of course I could open and close it with out breaking it (a thing most people can't do) I know what the metal slide is for. I can read it down to the 1/16" of course. I even know what the markings are for in relation to laying off a house wall.

Now for my son (when he was very small) I bought him a 16' "tape measure." It had all of the 1/16" and 1/8" and 1/4" and ect. printed right on the tape rather than the hash marks. He used it for a year or so and then said he wanted a real tape measure not a "baby" tape measure. So we bought him one.

The problem I see in so called Bible Interpretation... is that many people are still using "baby tape measures." Oh they can go to some verse (that someone else told them about) and try to explain their point of view.

It is like studying the pre-adamite world with someone starting out by saying: "That's crazy - I never heard of that!"

Thats right - they never heard of that - and that is the problem! They only have a baby tape measure.

And because of all the "baby tape measure" users of the Christian world you get all these strange interpretations!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:
I have found that most problems stem from the fact that some don't know how to read a ruler or don't use one often enough to read it that well.

For example my Dad was a carpenter. I grew up with a ruler in my hand (the old wooden fold-out 6' ruler). Of course I could open and close it with out breaking it (a thing most people can't do) I know what the metal slide is for. I can read it down to the 1/16" of course. I even know what the markings are for in relation to laying off a house wall.

Now for my son (when he was very small) I bought him a 16' "tape measure." It had all of the 1/16" and 1/8" and 1/4" and ect. printed right on the tape rather than the hash marks. He used it for a year or so and then said he wanted a real tape measure not a "baby" tape measure. So we bought him one.

The problem I see in so called Bible Interpretation... is that many people are still using "baby tape measures." Oh they can go to some verse (that someone else told them about) and try to explain their point of view.

It is like studying the pre-adamite world with someone starting out by saying: "That's crazy - I never heard of that!"

Thats right - they never heard of that - and that is the problem! They only have a baby tape measure.

And because of all the "baby tape measure" users of the Christian world you get all these strange interpretations!
So since they have had over 60 years of garbage that they bought into, it might be a HUGE challenge to get them off of the "Oh, everyone believes differently" thing?

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple »

Imagine if there were no standard inch? What would that make of rulers?
titus213 wrote::angel: :angel:
Spiritblade Disciple wrote: I once met the man whose job it was to safeguard the official inch for the U.S. government. It is interesting to consider that standards such as the inch need to be guarded.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

luchnia wrote: So since they have had over 60 years of garbage that they bought into, it might be a HUGE challenge to get them off of the "Oh, everyone believes differently" thing?
My opinion: it's such a huge challenge that only God can pull them off.

Jesus said, "there are some among you who don’t believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning those who did not believe and the one who would betray him.) He said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted to him by the Father” (John 6:64-65). Earlier he made the statement, "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him" (v.44).

I know the Calvinists spin these verses their way to support their system (their lens or grid, if you please) but they don't support Calvinism. Yet they do remind us that the Father's drawing through the message of the Cross is always at work, however hidden it may seem to us. As Jesus said right after commenting about the Father's drawing, "Everyone who has listened to and learned from the Father comes to me" (v.45). Some people listen, but refuse to learn.

It so happens I'm preaching on this topic on Sunday, a message I'm calling "The Journey to Jesus." My goal is to help the folks see that what they remember as the moment they came to Christ was actually the last in a series of 8 stages they had passed through, whether they knew it or not. And 6 of the stages are God-directed activities aimed at them but not dependent on them (important as their part is in the other 2 stages).

So as we witness and try to help those with the baby rulers, or no rulers at all, it's good to remind ourselves that the real power is the Holy Spirit working through the message we keep pointing to, the message of the Cross, the message God uses to draw all people to Jesus (John 12:32-33).