Dake Bible Discussion BoardJohn MacArthur ...False Teacher

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
User avatar
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4063
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by Justaned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am

Was the above a paid advertisement or was is it a perfect example of ...?



victoryword
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by victoryword » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:38 am

More like passing on some information that you may not have heard before :mrgreen:



User avatar
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4063
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by Justaned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:53 am

victoryword wrote:More like passing on some information that you may not have heard before :mrgreen:
Oh, see I thought is was a ... way to get free advertisment. A lot like the SPAM we all get. In fact isn't that the claim of SPAMMERS, they are providing us some information that we may not have heard before? Why I think it is! :mrgreen:

Hey! If you feel right about it don't let me bother you.



victoryword
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by victoryword » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Spammers have a good point when they say that. However, unlike me, spammers usually don't stick around for discussion. I don't come here to promote my books. I have been on Dake's board for over ten years now (off and on) and I come here because I have been blessed by the writings of Dake and enjoy the discussions. However, if a discussion comes up that I have covered in a book I wrote (or someone else wrote), I am not shy about encouraging people to buy it. Heck, I'll give the books away free to those who can't afford them as long as they promise to read it.

And if it makes you feel better, I intentionally keep all my books low price and make very little profit from them. Whatever profit I do make from them I place every single penny back into the ministry. So there is no personal benefit for myself monetarily. In the case of John MacArthur, I would offer that people read my book, "Miracles are for Today" (at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com :mrgreen:) so that they can get a good idea of the arguments that MacArthur uses to justify cessationist teaching and how they can be refuted by Scripture.



User avatar
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4063
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by Justaned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:55 pm

victoryword wrote:Spammers have a good point when they say that. However, unlike me, spammers usually don't stick around for discussion. I don't come here to promote my books. I have been on Dake's board for over ten years now (off and on) and I come here because I have been blessed by the writings of Dake and enjoy the discussions. However, if a discussion comes up that I have covered in a book I wrote (or someone else wrote), I am not shy about encouraging people to buy it. Heck, I'll give the books away free to those who can't afford them as long as they promise to read it.

And if it makes you feel better, I intentionally keep all my books low price and make very little profit from them. Whatever profit I do make from them I place every single penny back into the ministry. So there is no personal benefit for myself monetarily. In the case of John MacArthur, I would offer that people read my book, "Miracles are for Today" (at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com :mrgreen:) so that they can get a good idea of the arguments that MacArthur uses to justify cessationist teaching and how they can be refuted by Scripture.

I don't think MacArthur suggests that miracles have ceased. I think he only believes the things that draw attention to person, like the public speaking in tongues, the public use of giving interpretation of a message in tongues and the like have ceased since their need that existed before the Bible was complete is now met.

Most cessationist still believe in healing, private pray language, discerm, faith, wisdom, knowledge, miracles.

I don't think they believe miracles can be scheduled to occur at a certain time.

So to me it sounds like you are trying to write about something that you don't have a full and complete understanding of, if you say they don't believe in miracles.



victoryword
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by victoryword » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Justaned wrote:
victoryword wrote:Spammers have a good point when they say that. However, unlike me, spammers usually don't stick around for discussion. I don't come here to promote my books. I have been on Dake's board for over ten years now (off and on) and I come here because I have been blessed by the writings of Dake and enjoy the discussions. However, if a discussion comes up that I have covered in a book I wrote (or someone else wrote), I am not shy about encouraging people to buy it. Heck, I'll give the books away free to those who can't afford them as long as they promise to read it.

And if it makes you feel better, I intentionally keep all my books low price and make very little profit from them. Whatever profit I do make from them I place every single penny back into the ministry. So there is no personal benefit for myself monetarily. In the case of John MacArthur, I would offer that people read my book, "Miracles are for Today" (at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com :mrgreen:) so that they can get a good idea of the arguments that MacArthur uses to justify cessationist teaching and how they can be refuted by Scripture.

I don't think MacArthur suggests that miracles have ceased. I think he only believes the things that draw attention to person, like the public speaking in tongues, the public use of giving interpretation of a message in tongues and the like have ceased since their need that existed before the Bible was complete is now met.

Most cessationist still believe in healing, private pray language, discerm, faith, wisdom, knowledge, miracles.

I don't think they believe miracles can be scheduled to occur at a certain time.

So to me it sounds like you are trying to write about something that you don't have a full and complete understanding of, if you say they don't believe in miracles.
Sounds to me like you and I are reading different cessationist books. Did you ever read his book, "Charismatic Chaos"? Furthermore, I quote all of this cessationists verbatim in my book.



User avatar
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4063
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by Justaned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 pm

victoryword wrote:
Justaned wrote:
victoryword wrote:Spammers have a good point when they say that. However, unlike me, spammers usually don't stick around for discussion. I don't come here to promote my books. I have been on Dake's board for over ten years now (off and on) and I come here because I have been blessed by the writings of Dake and enjoy the discussions. However, if a discussion comes up that I have covered in a book I wrote (or someone else wrote), I am not shy about encouraging people to buy it. Heck, I'll give the books away free to those who can't afford them as long as they promise to read it.

And if it makes you feel better, I intentionally keep all my books low price and make very little profit from them. Whatever profit I do make from them I place every single penny back into the ministry. So there is no personal benefit for myself monetarily. In the case of John MacArthur, I would offer that people read my book, "Miracles are for Today" (at Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com :mrgreen:) so that they can get a good idea of the arguments that MacArthur uses to justify cessationist teaching and how they can be refuted by Scripture.

I don't think MacArthur suggests that miracles have ceased. I think he only believes the things that draw attention to person, like the public speaking in tongues, the public use of giving interpretation of a message in tongues and the like have ceased since their need that existed before the Bible was complete is now met.

Most cessationist still believe in healing, private pray language, discerm, faith, wisdom, knowledge, miracles.

I don't think they believe miracles can be scheduled to occur at a certain time.

So to me it sounds like you are trying to write about something that you don't have a full and complete understanding of, if you say they don't believe in miracles.
Sounds to me like you and I are reading different cessationist books. Did you ever read his book, "Charismatic Chaos"? Furthermore, I quote all of this cessationists verbatim in my book.
Yes I did. I was told by someone else that read a book that quoted others verbatim in it that, that book was a joke. So what makes your book more believable?

I know for a fact that MacArthur prays for people's healing and testifies when they are healed. You can hear him do it on his radio program. So what are you saying that he has his fingers crossed when he does it?

Again you really don't know with cessationism is. It doesn't believe that all the spiritual gifts have ceased only the ones that were fundamental to completing scripture. The rest they believe are still in effect.

Incidentally I don't agree with cessionalism but I don't agree with perpetuating half truths and falsehoods either. And yes I have corresponded with MacArthur many times on this subject.

Have you ever written MacArthur in an honest attempt to understand his position. I'm not saying you have to agree but you really should fully understand his position before you declare it wrong.



cpbeller
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by cpbeller » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:14 pm

You know Ed...you misqoute me (not surprising, really). I said his book was a joke because Hero-Hank used qoutes out of context. Get it right the next time you want to try a dig at me, mm-kay?

Ed: "Incidentally I...agree with cessionalism...I...agree with perpetuating half truths and falsehoods....And yes I have corresponded with MacArthur many times on this subject."

Wow...Ed is a cessionist!!?? See, I can make you say anything that I want to...out of context...


DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

User avatar
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4063
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by Justaned » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:08 pm

cpbeller wrote:You know Ed...you misqoute me (not surprising, really). I said his book was a joke because Hero-Hank used qoutes out of context. Get it right the next time you want to try a dig at me, mm-kay?

Ed: "Incidentally I...agree with cessionalism...I...agree with perpetuating half truths and falsehoods....And yes I have corresponded with MacArthur many times on this subject."

Wow...Ed is a cessionist!!?? See, I can make you say anything that I want to...out of context...
See there you go on one of your triades. I didn't quote you out of context,
I never quoted you. I never even mentioned you.

Did your post add to this discussion any new information or was it just an attack on me.

You are so Christ like I'm sure anyone reading one of your character assassinations aspires to be just like you. God help us.



victoryword
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member
Posts: 997
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:28 am
Contact:

Re: John MacArthur ...False Teacher

Post by victoryword » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 pm

cpbeller wrote:You know Ed...you misqoute me (not surprising, really). I said his book was a joke because Hero-Hank used qoutes out of context. Get it right the next time you want to try a dig at me, mm-kay?

Ed: "Incidentally I...agree with cessionalism...I...agree with perpetuating half truths and falsehoods....And yes I have corresponded with MacArthur many times on this subject."

Wow...Ed is a cessionist!!?? See, I can make you say anything that I want to...out of context...
Heck, Ed's quotes IN CONTEXT tells me that he is a Calvinist and Cessationist sympathizer. Don't feel bad, many people in Ed's camp quote people out of context (Like Hank Hanegraaff). :shock:



Post Reply