Dake Bible Discussion Boardwho was he?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member

Re: who was he?

Post by macca » Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Ironman wrote:"And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked." Mark 14:51-52).

Nearly every thing in Scripture is there for a valid and special reason, (2 Tim 3:16). We know Jesus raised people from the dead while on the Earth but there is no record of Him raising anyone from the grave during his ministry (Job 7:9), except Lazarus who had been in the grave 4 days, (John 11:17 and verse 43). Lazarus also was bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin, as was Jesus. The young man in Mark 14: 51-52 had a linen cloth cast, not bound about his body, similar it seems like a sheet or shroud.

And Jesus was the first of firsts fruits. I cannot figure why someone, if this is so, would have been risen from the grave before Christs death, and if so why then flee from Him and them? What was the purpos of this being mentioned by Mark. Is there any other reference to this event anywhere else in Scripture's or in prophecy?
"in the OT 1 angel wiped out 185,000 men in one night."
I'm trying to find that particular Scripture macca, out of interest. I'm not denying it was so mate. Do you remember where it is? Cheers, Haz.

Sorry for not being clearer Haz.
The verse for the angel is Isaiah 37:36;

In Matthew. 27:59; we see Joseph of Arimathea wraped Jesus's body in a 'linin cloth' that and the young man are the only instances in the NT where this word Gr. 'sindon' is used.
The body was washed, ceremonially cleaned, and buried naked in a linin cloth.
The garden of Gethsemane was located on the side of the mount of olives. There is a cemetery thick with bodys towards the bottem of this mount.
So this young fellow could have easily been close by to where Jesus was apprehended.

It shows how much power was available to Jesus if He had wanted to use it to escape their clutches, like all the times before in His ministry.
There were 300 to 600 soldiers and a large number of temple police with weopens, clubs and swords come to grab Jesus that night.

The young man was raised from the dead in his normal body just like Lazarus and they both had to die again at some time, they did not have a glorified body as Jesus was the first to receive that.

Many people have been raised from the dead Haz, one to have a look at is found in 2 Kings.13:20-21; It shows that there was enough anointing in Elisha's bones to raise the dead.
How much more anointing is in the words of Jesus?????? the one that anoints with the Holy Spirit??

macca

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Ironman » Tue May 14, 2013 2:10 am

macca wrote:
Ironman wrote:"And there followed him a certain young man, having a linen cloth cast about his naked body; and the young men laid hold on him: And he left the linen cloth, and fled from them naked." Mark 14:51-52).

Nearly every thing in Scripture is there for a valid and special reason, (2 Tim 3:16). We know Jesus raised people from the dead while on the Earth but there is no record of Him raising anyone from the grave during his ministry (Job 7:9), except Lazarus who had been in the grave 4 days, (John 11:17 and verse 43). Lazarus also was bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin, as was Jesus. The young man in Mark 14: 51-52 had a linen cloth cast, not bound about his body, similar it seems like a sheet or shroud.

And Jesus was the first of firsts fruits. I cannot figure why someone, if this is so, would have been risen from the grave before Christs death, and if so why then flee from Him and them? What was the purpos of this being mentioned by Mark. Is there any other reference to this event anywhere else in Scripture's or in prophecy?
"in the OT 1 angel wiped out 185,000 men in one night."
I'm trying to find that particular Scripture macca, out of interest. I'm not denying it was so mate. Do you remember where it is? Cheers, Haz.

Sorry for not being clearer Haz.
The verse for the angel is Isaiah 37:36;

In Matthew. 27:59; we see Joseph of Arimathea wraped Jesus's body in a 'linin cloth' that and the young man are the only instances in the NT where this word Gr. 'sindon' is used.
The body was washed, ceremonially cleaned, and buried naked in a linin cloth.
The garden of Gethsemane was located on the side of the mount of olives. There is a cemetery thick with bodys towards the bottem of this mount.
So this young fellow could have easily been close by to where Jesus was apprehended.

It shows how much power was available to Jesus if He had wanted to use it to escape their clutches, like all the times before in His ministry.
There were 300 to 600 soldiers and a large number of temple police with weopens, clubs and swords come to grab Jesus that night.

The young man was raised from the dead in his normal body just like Lazarus and they both had to die again at some time, they did not have a glorified body as Jesus was the first to receive that.

Many people have been raised from the dead Haz, one to have a look at is found in 2 Kings.13:20-21; It shows that there was enough anointing in Elisha's bones to raise the dead.
How much more anointing is in the words of Jesus?????? the one that anoints with the Holy Spirit??

macca
Thanks for that explaination macca. I wonder why this young man was raised? Was he raised for a reason or did it just happen because Jesus was there and about to be arrested?

It is recorded that Jesus never said the words "I AM " untill asked by the high priest later after He was arrested in (Mark 14:61-62).

"But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven." (Mark 14:61-62).

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member

Post by macca » Tue May 14, 2013 2:42 am

John. 18.4:6; after Jesus received Judas's kiss of betrayal, Jesus stepped foward and asked, 'Whom seek ye? They answered Him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said unto them
I am he.. as soon as He had said to them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
Jesus identified himself as 'I am he' these words come from the greek words ego eimi. which is more accuratly translated, 'I AM'
Jesus had used the same phrase to identify himself before in John. 8:58; and john. 13:19;
When the hearers that day heard those words ego eimi, they imediately recognized them as the very words God used to identify Himself when He spoke to Moses in Ex. 3:14;
In the King James John 13:19; the word "he" is italicized,, meaning it was supplied by the translaters and is not the original.

The greek says... Ye may believe that I AM.

MACCA

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Ironman » Tue May 14, 2013 2:51 am

macca wrote:John. 18.4:6; after Jesus received Judas's kiss of betrayal, Jesus stepped foward and asked, 'Whom seek ye? They answered Him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said unto them
I am he.. as soon as He had said to them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
Jesus identified himself as 'I am he' these words come from the greek words ego eimi. which is more accuratly translated, 'I AM'
Jesus had used the same phrase to identify himself before in John. 8:58; and john. 13:19;
When the hearers that day heard those words ego eimi, they imediately recognized them as the very words God used to identify Himself when He spoke to Moses in Ex. 3:14;
In the King James John 13:19; the word "he" is italicized,, meaning it was supplied by the translaters and is not the original.

MACCA
THANK YOU MATE!!!!

I am he.. as soon as He had said to them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. So, in fact the power, the shock of Just Christs words were enough to raise the young man out of the ground? I'm asking??

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member

Post by macca » Tue May 14, 2013 5:24 am

YES

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 am

Here Is a quote the might help:
  • Vine's Expository Dictionary of Old Testament and New Testament Words
    • Linen (fine)
      • Usage Number: 1
        Strong's Number: <G4616>
        Original Word: σινδών, sindōn
        • Usage Notes: was "a fine linen cloth, an article of domestic manufacture" ( Prov. 31:24) used (a) as a garment or wrap, the "linen cloth" of Mark 14:51, 52; (b) as shrouds or winding sheets, Matt. 27:59; Mark 15:46, RV, "linen cloth," for AV, "linen;" Luke 23:53 (ditto). In the Sept., Judg. 14:12, "(thirty) sheets;" Prov. 31:24 (see above). The Mishna (the Great Collection of legal decisions by the ancient Rabbis) records that the material was sometimes used for curtains.
I thought this might be of interest because it shows where the word is used in the Septuagint.
  • In his notes on Judges 14:12, Dr. Adam Clarke wrote:
    • Thirty sheets—I have no doubt that the Arab hayk, or hake, is here meant; a dress in which the natives of the East wrap themselves, as a Scottish Highlander does in his plaid. In Asiatic countries the dress scarcely ever changes; being nearly the same now that it was 2000 years ago. Mr. Jackson, in his account of the Empire of Morocco, thus mentions the Moorish dress: "It resembles," says he, "that of the ancient patriarchs, as represented in paintings; (but the paintings are taken from Asiatic models); that of the men consists of a red cap and turban, a (kumja) shirt, which hangs outside of the drawers, and comes down below the knee; a (caftan) coat, which buttons close before, and down to the bottom, with large open sleeves; over which, when they go out of doors, they throw carelessly, and sometimes elegantly, a hayk, or garment of white cotton, silk, or wool, five or six yards long, and five feet wide. The Arabs often dispense with the caftan, and even with the shirt, wearing nothing but the hayk." When an Arab does not choose to wrap himself in the hayk, he throws it over his left shoulder, where it hangs till the weather, etc., obliges him to wrap it round him. The hayk is either mean or elegant, according to the quality of the cloth, and of the person who wears it. I have myself seen the natives of Fez, with hayks, or hykes, both elegant and costly. By the changes of garments, it is very likely that the kumja and caftan are meant, or at least the caftan; but most likely both: for the Hebrew has ‏חליפות בגדים‎ chaliphoth begadim, changes or succession of garments. Samson, therefore, engaged to give or receive thirty hayks, and thirty kumjas and caftans, on the issue of the interpretation or non-interpretation of his riddle: these were complete suits.
      • --- A Commentary and Critical Notes.
  • In his notes on Judges 14:12, Dr. Finis Jennings Dake wrote:
    • [sheets and thirty change of garments]
      • Sheets were the linen shirts worn next to the body by people of rank or wealth. Garments refer to the outer woolen clothing.
        • --- Dake's Annotated Reference Bible.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:36 am

The entire Gospel of John is filled with I AM quotes from the Lord Jesus Christ.
if you believe not that I AM you shall die in your sins.John 8:24.

macca wrote:John. 18.4:6; after Jesus received Judas's kiss of betrayal, Jesus stepped foward and asked, 'Whom seek ye? They answered Him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus said unto them

MACCA