Dake Bible Discussion BoardTithers are Better Off!

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Re: Tithers are Better Off!

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am
bibleman wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:12 am
macca wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:51 am
Tithing unto the Lord in your local assembly is the best way Christians can honour God with their finances.
My wife and I proved it, what we lacked in other areas God supplied our needs.
So very true. I am amazed at how so-called Christians fight supporting the work of the Lord.

When my wife and I were very young with very little income, we still tithed and like you God always provided. And today after over 50 years of tithing, God has blessed us beyond measure.
I question the assumption that Christians are fighting against supporting the work of Lord because they are not “tithers”

I know of plenty of cheerful givers who give more than 10%, but do not consider themselves “tithers”. They do so because TITHING is not found taught in the New Testament.
A lot of people question the adverse affects of non-tithers. I feel that the person themselves is most harmed by not invoking the Blessings of tithing. And then too the work of the Lord is hampered by those who do not support it. BUT I guess that would just have to be one of those things where we would disagree.

As to tithing NOT be found in the NT... In fact it is.
Jesus taught NT tithing in Matthew 23:23
And Paul taught tithing in Hebrews 7:8

BUT again, I know you disagree, just posting those references for those who want to know about NT tithing.
I do not see a teaching of tithing as something his follower need to do in Matt 23:23. In that passage Jesus is rebuking highly religious Jews, scribes and Pharisees, for their failure to weigh the law. “an having omitted the weighted portions of THE LAW” (caps mine). I do not believe you place yourself under the Jewish Law, so the address would not have been to Gentiles to keep THE LAW

The writer of Hebrews is not teaching tithing, he is telling HISTORY. Yes, people tithed in the OT. Yes, Melchisedec recieved them. I find it a stretch to say something that is recounting history is teaching tithing, they are teaching history. It can be argued that the rest of the chapter of Hebrews 7 is to show there is a better priesthood and convenant that does away with the Law, the law that required tithing.

Again I fail to see how this mention of an act in history is a teaching that tithing is a practice we still need to observe. Perhaps you could exlpain that.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:07 pm
bibleman wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:15 am
bibleman wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:12 am
macca wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:51 am
Tithing unto the Lord in your local assembly is the best way Christians can honour God with their finances.
My wife and I proved it, what we lacked in other areas God supplied our needs.
So very true. I am amazed at how so-called Christians fight supporting the work of the Lord.

When my wife and I were very young with very little income, we still tithed and like you God always provided. And today after over 50 years of tithing, God has blessed us beyond measure.
I question the assumption that Christians are fighting against supporting the work of Lord because they are not “tithers”

I know of plenty of cheerful givers who give more than 10%, but do not consider themselves “tithers”. They do so because TITHING is not found taught in the New Testament.
A lot of people question the adverse affects of non-tithers. I feel that the person themselves is most harmed by not invoking the Blessings of tithing. And then too the work of the Lord is hampered by those who do not support it. BUT I guess that would just have to be one of those things where we would disagree.

As to tithing NOT be found in the NT... In fact it is.
Jesus taught NT tithing in Matthew 23:23
And Paul taught tithing in Hebrews 7:8

BUT again, I know you disagree, just posting those references for those who want to know about NT tithing.
I do not see a teaching of tithing as something his follower need to do in Matt 23:23. In that passage Jesus is rebuking highly religious Jews, scribes and Pharisees, for their failure to weigh the law. “an having omitted the weighted portions of THE LAW” (caps mine). I do not believe you place yourself under the Jewish Law, so the address would not have been to Gentiles to keep THE LAW

The writer of Hebrews is not teaching tithing, he is telling HISTORY. Yes, people tithed in the OT. Yes, Melchisedec recieved them. I find it a stretch to say something that is recounting history is teaching tithing, they are teaching history. It can be argued that the rest of the chapter of Hebrews 7 is to show there is a better priesthood and convenant that does away with the Law, the law that required tithing.

Again I fail to see how this mention of an act in history is a teaching that tithing is a practice we still need to observe. Perhaps you could exlpain that.
Really I have made the Biblical case for tithing and I don't think any amount of debate will change your mind.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:01 pm
... just posting those references for those who want to know about NT tithing
Tithing In the New Testament:
2. Paul Taught It:
(5) Melchisedec priesthood is eternal and must be supported by children of Abraham (Heb. 6:20; 7:1-11,17,21)
(6) Children of Abraham in faith must walk in his steps (Rom. 4:12; Heb. 7)
(7) Tithing is proof of obedience and appreciation of God's blessings (Rom. 4:12; Heb. 7:6-10; 1Cor. 9:7-14; 1Tim. 6:17-18; cp. Mal. 3:8-10; Prov. 3:9-10; Gen. 14:20; Dt. 8:10-20)
I don't see any mention of tithing in any of those NT verses.
I do see this though, in Heb 7:5..."And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:"
There is no longer such a priesthood or Law.
Those commanded to "take tithes of the people" according to the Law were OT Jews in the office of a priest.
Now, we have no priests, Law, or tithing.
Last edited by Hill Top on Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Hill Top wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:32 pm
bibleman wrote:

2. Paul Taught It:
(5) Melchisedec priesthood is eternal and must be supported by children of Abraham (Heb. 6:20; 7:1-11,17,21)
(7) Tithing is proof of obedience and appreciation of God's blessings (Rom. 4:12; Heb. 7:6-10; 1Cor. 9:7-14; 1Tim. 6:17-18; cp. Mal. 3:8-10; Prov. 3:9-10; Gen. 14:20; Dt. 8:10-20)
I do see this though, in Heb 7:5..."And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:"
Those commanded to "take tithes of the people" according to the Law were OT Jews in the office of a priest.
Well we do have a priest... Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 6:20 where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Here men receive our tithes but there JESUS receives our tithes.

Hebrews 7:8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Hill Top
Repent and Be Baptized in the Name of Jesus Christ Because of the Remission of Sins

Post by Hill Top »

bibleman wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:32 pm
bibleman wrote:

2. Paul Taught It:
Well we do have a priest... Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 6:20 where the forerunner has entered for us, even Jesus, having become High Priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.

Here men receive our tithes but there JESUS receives our tithes.

Hebrews 7:8 Here mortal men receive tithes, but there he receives them, of whom it is witnessed that he lives.
Our high priest doesn't need money.
The mortal men that received tithes were the priests of an old covenant.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Gal 6:6  Let him that is taught in the word communicate unto him that teacheth in all good things.
Gal 6:7  Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.