Dake Bible Discussion BoardA General Resurrection

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ray

A General Resurrection

Post by Ray »

I Believe The Scriptures have much to say of a General Resurrection, One
Resurrection of both the Just and the Unjust.

Daniel 12:2
2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

{In Light of the passages below I Interpret this Daniel Passage as speaking of One single Awakening}

Acts 24:15
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

{The Acts passage above speaks of "A" (single) Resurrection of the dead, both just and unjust.}

Revelation 20:12-13
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

{Now I know many (most here) teach that the Resurrection and Judgement presented in this above Rev. passage speaks of ONLY the Judgement of the unjust, Yet nowhere is such given. We see they were judged "EVERY MAN" according to their works. I heard of, and once believed in "A Great White Throne Judgment" of the unjust and "The Bema Seat" or "The Judgement Seat Of CHRIST" Judgement of the Just. "The Great White Throne " is in Fact "The Bema Seat" The "Judgement Seat Of CHRIST"}

Matthew 25:31-34
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
Matthew 25:41
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

{Now in this Matthew 25 Passage we see JESUS Seated on HIS Throne
and before HIM Clearly In ONE Single Event "ALL NATIONS" appear for Judgement. One Judgment where Reward and Curse is both handed out.
Now I have heard and read the bending and twisting that must be done to this CLEAR Passage in an attempt to mean somthing that just is not there.}

2 Thessalonians 1:7-10
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

{Again in 2 Thess. as in The Matthew 25 Passage Above this one We See ONE SINGLE EVENT Where JESUS is "revealed from heaven" with HIS Mighty Angels
We see Reward and Curse (destruction). We must Look at the Opening line of the verses here presented, The Apostle Paul Speaking to the Thessalonian People are told to "rest with us", Clearly here speaking of the Rapture in the which Paul is giving these people Hope that when CHRIST Comes HE will destroy the unjust but to you who have found "rest with us" CHRIST will be Glorified in you.}

Matthew 24:30-31
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

{Clearly above is a parallel account of CHRIST coming with HIS Mighty Angels
where the Elect (Justified) will be gathered (Rapture) and because what is given in the passages presented before this One it is Clear what happens to the unjust at "That" time.}

Ray

Re: A General Resurrection

Post by Ray »

Now I know after that above post many will bring up:
Revelation 20:
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

I interpret this "first resurrection" mentioned above as being Spiritual.
I will ask you Brothers (and maybe Sisters) who read these Posts have you partaken in the Resurrection which is given in the verses below ? if you have, have you not partaken in "the first resurrection"?

John 5:25
25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

Ephesians 2:1-6
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)
6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 5:13-14
13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

Romans 6:11
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Colossians 2:12-13
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Colossians 3:1
3 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

RAY

That Baxter fellow was saying that last night.

i know the Church of Christ teaches that.i heard it preached there.and read it.

where do you believe the ...one Judgement became two Judgements???

Ray

Post by Ray »

branham1965 wrote:RAY

Brother Billy,
For a teaching of a pre-trib Rapture followed by 7 years of unsaved to remain on the earth the invention of a judgement for the Saints only had to be taught
as an attempt to make this Doctrine ring true. hence 2 judgements.Yet NOWHERE in Scripture is 2 judgements mentioned.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

RAY
when and why did the believers in the 1800's CHANGE the older view????were there political social ???reasons.ive heard Darby the Plymouth Brethren were involved.and the Scofield and his Bible.
i understand some Adventists and others..in the 1800's felt the Time of the End stared in 1799.
im not playing.im dead serious.im listening...
Ray wrote:

Brother Billy,
For a teaching of a pre-trib Rapture followed by 7 years of unsaved to remain on the earth the invention of a judgement for the Saints only had to be taught
as an attempt to make this Doctrine ring true. hence 2 judgements.Yet NOWHERE in Scripture is 2 judgements mentioned.

Ray

Post by Ray »

when and why did the believers in the 1800's CHANGE the older view????were there political social ???reasons.ive heard Darby the Plymouth Brethren were involved.and the Scofield and his Bible.
i understand some Adventists and others..in the 1800's felt the Time of the End stared in 1799.
Ray wrote:

Brother Billy,
Billy,
In the early 1800's the Church of Scotland Minister Edward Irving was a big promoter of the pre-trib Doctrine. John Nelson Darby, English minister and originator of the "Plymouth Brethern Movment after going to several meetings of Irving's latched on to this Doctrine and it became popular in Britain and finally made it's way to the U.S.. Becoming very popular here as Cyrus Scofield put notes in his "Scofield Reference Bible" backing a pre-trib rapture Doctrine.
Soon many Bible Colleges in the U.S. began teaching this Doctrine, such as Dwight Moody's Bible Inst. and many seminaries such as Dallas Theological Seminary.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

Whatever the historical roots of the rapture doctrine may have been is irrelevant to its validity or otherwise, unless we want to engage in the fallacy of imputing guilt by association. The validity of the rapture doctrine, as with any other doctrine, must depend on whether or not it is taught in the Word of God.

Ray

Post by Ray »

fatherfisher wrote:Whatever the historical roots of the rapture doctrine may have been is irrelevant to its validity or otherwise, unless we want to engage in the fallacy of imputing guilt by association. The validity of the rapture doctrine, as with any other doctrine, must depend on whether or not it is taught in the Word of God.
Brother Fisher,
you wrote:
"The validity of the rapture doctrine, as with any other doctrine, must depend on whether or not it is taught in the Word of God."

I totally Agree,
I was adressing a question directed to me.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

THANK YOU RAY.
i never knew that.thanks.i never knew he founded the Plymouth Brethren either.

Cyrus Scofields Bible was very popular.it still is.i heard a Baptist in the barber shop say the notes were inspired. :crazyeyes:
another one has said Charles Haddon Spurgeons sermons should be added to the canon.said Bob L.Ross.he publishes every sermon he ever preached.and is a known Campbellite slayer.he has debated a bunch of Church of Christ preachers.hes written excellent books on the Church of Christ cult as well.
his book on Eternal Sonship blasts Jesus Only cultists :new-alien: :new-alien: :new-alien: :robot: and some others.Ross defends Eternal Sonship.hes a great debater.

he even gets on :agrue: the revered Founder here.for his stance on .....Eternal Sonship.i think John Macarthur :lol: :lol: :lol: has flip-flopped on it =ES.but Ross walloped him.which i didnt mind. +wink

If i recollect right he believed in and he spoke in other tongues.as did his people.his people were called...Irving-ites. :robot:
Ray wrote:
Ray wrote:

Brother Billy,
Billy,
In the early 1800's the Church of Scotland Minister Edward Irving was a big promoter of the pre-trib Doctrine. John Nelson Darby, English minister and originator of the "Plymouth Brethern Movment after going to several meetings of Irving's latched on to this Doctrine and it became popular in Britain and finally made it's way to the U.S.. Becoming very popular here as Cyrus Scofield put notes in his "Scofield Reference Bible" backing a pre-trib rapture Doctrine.
Soon many Bible Colleges in the U.S. began teaching this Doctrine, such as Dwight Moody's Bible Inst. and many seminaries such as Dallas Theological Seminary.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

So . . . I have received an email asking me to basically knock it off with all the posting (not just on this topic, apparently, but in general).

So I will.

I apologize for coming across either as too much of an "egg-head" or as someone who thinks he is a "smarty-pants". I guess it comes with old age or something.

I also apologize to Ray, Justaned, Branham, and any others I may have offended by comments.

A board like this is not a place where a person's tone can come across in the way it's meant . . . the printed words sometimes seem harsh where they aren't meant to.

At any rate, may God bless you folks and enable you to stay close to our Lord and Savior, because "apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15.5).