Dake Bible Discussion BoardRuling or managing?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Reuben
Pray Always with All Perseverance for All Saints

Ruling or managing?

Post by Reuben »

1 Timothy 3:4-5 (KJV)
4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

Now compare:

1 Timothy 3:4-5 (NIV)
4 He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect.
5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?)

Any thoughts on the way this is translated? The KJV translates as a governance and the NIV translates it as more of a orchestrating of affairs. I was reading this passage today and doing some comparison study and began to ponder the different picture in my mind that each word creates. Just wondering what others may think of this.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Ruling or managing?

Post by Justaned »

I can see ruleth be taken to the extreme of lording over someone which could lead to abuse of power if nothing else.

Manage has the definition of to be in charge of something such as a store, department, or project and be responsible for its smooth running and for any personnel involved.

Here I can see a man being in charge, taking responsiblity, keeping things on an even keel and being concerned for everyone welfare.

That sounds to be like a good father and a husband.

I have counseled too many women that had husbands that used this and few other scripture to lord over them, demanding total obedience and running roughshod over the children until there was real resentment.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

ive seen the same thing REVED.as a layman.its disgusting.
men who bully and love being ogres to their children and wives and ...using the Bible to justify it all.
Justaned wrote:I can see ruleth be taken to the extreme of lording over someone which could lead to abuse of power if nothing else.

Manage has the definition of to be in charge of something such as a store, department, or project and be responsible for its smooth running and for any personnel involved.

Here I can see a man being in charge, taking responsiblity, keeping things on an even keel and being concerned for everyone welfare.

That sounds to be like a good father and a husband.

I have counseled too many women that had husbands that used this and few other scripture to lord over them, demanding total obedience and running roughshod over the children until there was real resentment.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

NASB 1973 "He must be one who manages his own household well keeping his children under control with all dignity."
the NASB concordance with the Hebrew Greek lexicon says :
proistemi ;from 4253 and 2476 to put before ,to set over ,to rule =engage in(2) have charge over(1) leads (1) manage (1) managers (1) manages (1) rule (1)

Reuben
Pray Always with All Perseverance for All Saints

Post by Reuben »

Interestingly enough the words "rule' and "care" in v.5 work in tandem. Two verses I have pondered on a little.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Its not Biblical to lord over the children and make their lives miserable.

"And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." (Eph. 6:4).

"Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged."(coll3:21).

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

One that ruleth well his own house

I checked out the other occurrences of the same the Greek verb translated "ruleth" in 1 Tim. 3 and here's what I found:

Romans 12.8 The one who has the gift of LEADING should do so diligently
1 Thess 5.12 Recognize those WHO ARE OVER YOU in the Lord
Titus 3.8 those who have believed in God should be careful TO MAINTAIN good works
Titus 3.14 let our people also learn TO MAINTAIN good works