Dake Bible Discussion Boardsin to have a beard

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: sin to have a beard

Post by Ironman »

Jay wrote:You guys may have forgotten that when a Jew took a vow as a Nazarite, he was not to cut his hair or shave his face. Numbers 6.

Numbers 6:5
All the days of the vow of his separation there shall no razor come upon his head: until the days be fulfilled, in the which he separateth himself unto the Lord, he shall be holy, and shall let the locks of the hair of his head grow.
Hi Jay. yes, that was Old Testament stuff. We now live under the New where it says its a shame for a man to have long hair. Doesnt say its sin though. I suppose if a bloke wants to look like Mary Jane Long-hair thats their business.

Numbers 6.5

Among the Jews it was considered a mark of physical strength and perfection to have an abundance of hair, and baldness was a mark of physical imperfection (Lev. 21:20; 2 Kings 2;23; isa. 3:24). The free growth of hair on the heads of Nazarites represented the dedication of a person with his whole strength and powers to the service of God, (v 5). And if a nazarite touched a dead body, even accidently, he was defiled and had to shave his head and offer sacrifice (v 9-12). Even unpruned grapevines during the sabbatical year were considered nazartie. The Hebrew for undressed in Lev. 25:5, 11 is from nazir, trans. Nazarite.

The unshorn locks of the nazerite are called his consecration. This simply means they were a sign or physical mark of such consecration (v 5-8).

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

"were your people devout Haz??"

No mate. My stepfater was a catholic, hardly went to church. I remember as a child he had a statue of Mary in the home for a few days and the catholic people called around a did the catholic thing jibber jabbering hundreds of thousands of hail maries for hours on end. It seems they all had a turn, the statue did the rounds of the catholic homes for a while, something to do with some holy day devoted to Mary??????

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

We now live under the New where it says its a shame for a man to have long hair. Doesnt say its sin though.

That's true.
I'm bald. When I see a guy with long hair, I don't think "What a sin". But I do think "What a shame".

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

fatherfisher wrote:We now live under the New where it says its a shame for a man to have long hair. Doesnt say its sin though.

That's true.
I'm bald. When I see a guy with long hair, I don't think "What a sin". But I do think "What a shame".
So you dont think, "Gimmi some?" :mrgreen: :-D

Personally I dont like to see men with long hair. There are many here who wear their hair down past their sholders. They look like women from behind. My neighbours brother has a beard and has has hair so long he has to plait his hair to keep it out of his face while at work and wear a hair net! What a goose! While at home he wears it down and looks like Camilla Bell.

frenchie
Wrestle Against Principalities

Post by frenchie »

Ironman said:

Personally I dont like to see men with long hair. There are many here who wear their hair down past their sholders. They look like women from behind. My neighbours brother has a beard and has has hair so long he has to plait his hair to keep it out of his face while at work and wear a hair net! What a goose! While at home he wears it down and looks like Camilla Bell.[/quote]

I'm not sure i would dare to say that if Samson was by my side though... +goofy

frenchie

Post by frenchie »

Hi!

I thought i could share a litle testimony on the subject. It's personal,nothing to prove but just for the sake of it, here i go:
Long hair was my former life style associated with the hyppies and everything that comes with it.(I would'nt be Billy's best customer :mrgreen: ) When i became a christian, the folks at church showed me all the verses of the bible that seems to point out that men should keep their hair short.After a while, i beleive i was convince by God to get a clean cut and so i did and it helped me cut myself from my former way of life.
After about 20 years, my pastor had many word of knowledge at the closing of his preaching,"and the razor shall not pass on his head" came out of the blue and hit me like a ton of bricks. I then let it grow for 7 years and i tought i would enter heaven with my long hair.
Never the less after those seven years, God used the same pastor through another preaching to instruct me that He used this like a "cocoon" to "sprout" a "bud" and that since the "bud" had "sprouted", the "cocoon" was'nt necessary any more. That i had to let it go. Again i was convince that God had spoken to me an whent back to shorth hair.
I know i dont understand everything God had in it but i suspect it goes with this this :Acts 10:-29 (KJV)
" but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean."
I beleive i folowed His instructions.

edited to improve the sintax.
Last edited by frenchie on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.

frenchie

Post by frenchie »

Hi! again

Here is my humble opinion about hair lenth:

In 1 Cor.11, Paul is not teaching the doctrine of the lenth of hair but he utilises examples of his time and culture to teach authority in the family, so when we take what he is saying out of context, we give it a meaning not intended by the speaker.
Make sense?

brodave

Post by brodave »

It would be a sin if I wore a beard.It would look scragly.My wife would heep judgement upon me!

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Children, regardless of their circumstances who die or a killed before they reach the age of reason and knowingly willingly and deliberately committ sin will automaticly go straight to heaven, and or will be raptured if that occured.

God will do right even by those who have never ever even heard of Him! or any other name associated with and to God. God has revealed His method of dealing with these people even those who have never heard the gospel.

Paul stated in Romans 2:12-16 that God will do right by every man according to the light he has recieved. He said, "For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these having not the law, are a law unto themselves: which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the meanwhile accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets fo men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

yea, leave the kids alone they are in God's hands not our assumtions. :snipersmile: