Dake Bible Discussion BoardAngels - Will they Fall Again?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Jay
2 Thessalonains

Re: Angels - Will they Fall Again?

Post by Jay »

Ray wrote:Hello Jay,

Jay, is Finis Dake your final authority on Scripture ?
Hi Ray,

LOL, I hope you are joking. Absolutely not but I do appreciate Dake's studies and like I told Dolph, I agree with about 99% of what Dake believed because, I believe Dake's doctrine is Biblical. The Word should be the final authority on the Word. I also read other commentaries and other material besides Dake.

Hebrews 10:35-36
Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Jay
2 Thessalonains

Post by Jay »

dolph wrote:Jay, I noticed you teach in a Baptist church. I recently moved to a town of 60,000 in the southeastern USA and went through 3 A.G. churches in 3 weeks. Before that our family was unchurched for 7 years. This morning I sat through a Sunday school class that did a book report on the differences between men and women that used but one scripture from the greatest book ever written. I might have to search out the Baptist churches next. They know their Bible but do they know the Holy Spirit???
Dolph,

I grew up in a Baptist church (Southern Baptist) and got saved, in that church at the age of 13. I tried to live a holy life and found out, in about a year, that I couldn't do it. Then, when I was 18, my older brother who was 21 died of cancer. It caused me to search the Word of God for myself and I ran across this scripture:

James 5:14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

I had an uncle that used to talk about healing but I had never heard of anything like this in my little Baptist church. I immediately picked up the phone and called the Baptist pastor and asked him if he would call the elders so they could come and pray for my brother who had slipped into a coma and was given no hope by the doctors.

The pastor's response was, "Well, we don't believe that." I was devastated! I thought, "If you don't believe the Bible, then throw it away!"

Long story short, my brother went on to be with the Lord and I moved to the nearest town 23 miles away. Every morning when I would go to work, I heard a local pastor in that town on the radio and I had decided that if a church believed in divine healing, they probably believed everything in the Bible. I called that pastor and asked him if they believed in divine healing and he laughed and said, "Yes!"

Through some really neat situations that God worked out, I got baptized in the Holy Spirit. I had always heard tongues were of the devil but boy, did I find out that God was real! I was in my 1976 American Motors Pacer, driving east on 9th Street and turning north onto Main Street in Perryton, Texas when the Lord baptized me in the Holy Spirit. The only way I know to describe it is, I was plugged into 440 volts and had ice water thrown all over me! It completely changed my life! God instantly took away any desire for alcohol and marijuana and gave me a hunger for the Word. The Holy Spirit opened my spiritual eyes and began to speak to me about different things.

When my wife and I felt that the Lord was calling us to go to First Baptist, Orlando, I had reservations about going to church that is not a "full gospel" church. Not long after we started attending, our pastor started a series on Acts. My wife has not been baptized in the Holy Spirit and doesn't understand it very well but I told her, with our pastor starting a series on Acts, he would HAVE to address the baptism in the Holy Spirit and tongues. It is in Acts no less than three times. Sure enough when our pastor got to Acts 2 and Pentecost, he stopped and said, "I have to stop right here. There are some people in this church that have prayer languages. It is scriptural but I don't do it and I don't understand it." I was excited to see that he didn't just discount it as something that is not for the church any longer like so many do. Then, about a month later, they announced they were going to start having healing services every quarter. The funny thing is, our prayer and healing pastor has been baptized in the Holy Spirit.

The problem with all of this is, you have to use a lot of wisdom in how you share it with people in a Baptist church. People have asked me about it and I will not deny it and I let them know my testimony. But, I am not adversarial about it. I have been the assistant Life Group teacher in our group and have filled in, in other groups. I want to teach it but I will teach it in such a way that I will show the people in the Life Group what people believe that operate in the spiritual gifts and the scriptures they use. Then I will let all of them know that I also pray in tongues and operate in the spiritual gifts. It all has to be done delicately. If not, I could get asked to leave the church which wouldn't benefit anyone. I've always said that if it weren't for the Baptist, half the Christians in the world wouldn't have come to know the Lord. What they believe is very doctrinal but they don't go far enough. I remember the first time I read the book of Acts and I couldn't believe that God performed miracles like He does!

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Ray

Post by Ray »

Jay,
You've said, "I also read other commentaries and other material besides Dake."

Could I ask what commentaries do you favor most, or what material do you find lines up most with the Truth of what is found in Scripture?

Jay
2 Thessalonains

Post by Jay »

Ray wrote:Jay,
You've said, "I also read other commentaries and other material besides Dake."

Could I ask what commentaries do you favor most, or what material do you find lines up most with the Truth of what is found in Scripture?
I have an OLD Jamieson, Faussett and Brown commentary that I use some. It doesn't go into nearly as much detail as Dake. As far as other ministers that I like and believe a lot of their stuff, E.W. Kenyon, Kenneth Hagin, Bob Yandian. I use the Thompson Chain Reference Bible some when putting together lessons or sermons and a Nave's Topical Bible. I use the Strong's concordance a lot too. It is an extremely valuable study tool.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Bump the above!

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?