Dake Bible Discussion BoardWHEN DID THE NEW COVENANT BEGIN??

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: WHEN DID THE NEW COVENANT BEGIN??

Post by branham1965 »

dolph wrote:Did the New Covenant begin when Christ announced, The Kingdom of God is at hand?

Did it begin when Christ said on the cross, It is finished?

Or when He said, This is my covenant with you, at the first communion?

Or when the Holy Spirit filled them on Pentecost?

Or when Paul received revelation in Arabia?

Or when Paul and Barnabas met the disciples in Jerusalem???

IN some ways it began partially in most of the above.....5 and 6 excluded.
and with John Baptist the great Messenger of the Lord.some verses intimate this.
i believe it BEGAN as Saint Paul said in Hebrews 9:15-17ff and eph 2:14-18ff,col 2:14ff .ANY other ecclesiastical shibboleth such as some popular Charismatics have wrote or anyone else which contradicts these 3 plain Divine witnesses given by Saint Paul ....then the teachings are :neutral: +hammer :2gunfire: :snipersmile: :vamp: :evilbat:

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Here. "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30).

Having abolished in His flesh the enmity [the law of bondage and death], even the law of commandments contained in ordinances. . . .blotting out [making void], the handwriting of ordinances that were against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, NAILING IT TO HIS CROSS. . . . (Eph. 2:15; Col, 2:14-17).

Christ came to fulfill the law before He abolished it on the cross (Matt. 5:17, 18). The Old Covenant law written in stone was given by God to Moses and handed to Israel through Moses.

The New covenant is written in our hearts and given to us by Jesus Christ.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Reuben
Pray Always with All Perseverance for All Saints

Post by Reuben »

dolph wrote:Did the New Covenant begin when Christ announced, The Kingdom of God is at hand?

Did it begin when Christ said on the cross, It is finished?

Or when He said, This is my covenant with you, at the first communion?

Or when the Holy Spirit filled them on Pentecost?

Or when Paul received revelation in Arabia?

Or when Paul and Barnabas met the disciples in Jerusalem???
Matthew 11:13 (KJV)
13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

The Law was in force until the preaching of John which was the announcement of the kingdom.

Your original question was when did it begin.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

dolph wrote:I would say the establishment of the New Covenant was a process that was completed when Paul received the revelation from God in Arabia.
but that contradicts the verses above.dont you think??? sounds like you are reading Bullinger Dolph.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Ironman wrote:Here. "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30).

Having abolished in His flesh the enmity [the law of bondage and death], even the law of commandments contained in ordinances. . . .blotting out [making void], the handwriting of ordinances that were against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, NAILING IT TO HIS CROSS. . . . (Eph. 2:15; Col, 2:14-17).

Christ came to fulfill the law before He abolished it on the cross (Matt. 5:17, 18). The Old Covenant law written in stone was given by God to Moses and handed to Israel through Moses.

+, the Old covenant is the "yoke of bondage" which was brought to an end by Christ. It was necessary for a New Covenant to be made so that God could save ALL MEN alike. This promise was given to Abraham 430 years before the law (Gal. 3:17-25). This promise was one of "faith" and the Old Covenant law was not of faith (Rom. 4; Gal. 3:6-12).

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

NineCrows
Esther

Post by NineCrows »

Matthew 26:28 would be my vote, but we should remember that the Covenants are more connected than is normally taught.

LORD, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. Mark 9:24.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

thats it Haz. :angel: The Lord had to die see Heb 9:15-17ff for the New Covenant to go into effect.as you quoted in Eph 2 and col 2.
one has to WREST these verses to get another meaning out of them.
Ironman wrote:Here. "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." (John 19:30).

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

dolph wrote:Who is Bullinger?? I have been listening to Les Feldick and thoroughly enjoy 95% of his teaching.

HE wrote the "Companion Bible" that everyone raves so much about.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

NineCrows wrote:Matthew 26:28 would be my vote, but we should remember that the Covenants are more connected than is normally taught.
The question asked is, When did the New Covenant begin??

It never began whe Jesus said "For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins." He was talking about having to die at this time only. The New Covenant never began at His last supper?

NineCrows
Esther

Post by NineCrows »

Ironman,
I understood the question, but apparently didn't explain my answer sufficiently. I chose the verse in Matthew because it is where Jesus gave the explanation of what was occuring, but in actuality what I was referring to was the entire 3 and 1/2 years of Jesus's ministry, and the 3 and 1/2 years following his resurrection. Matthew 26:28 is a clear reference to Daniel 9:27, and as such is where the Old Covenant is both confirmed, as well as where the explanation of its eventual replacement is given. I should have been more detailed in my initial response, but was in hurry when I posted.

LORD, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. Mark 9:24.