Dake Bible Discussion BoardInteresting words

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Interesting words

Post by branham1965 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Until you have walked in the shoes of or felt the pain of another human being

then don't judge them, dismiss them or presume to know their struggle.

:angel: :angel: I could not agree more.

luchnia
Yet We Did Esteem Christ Stricken, Smitten of God, and Afflicted

Re: Interesting words

Post by luchnia » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 pm

branham1965 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 pm

Yep, it would be hard to even have a clue of what someone is going through if you haven't been there or don't have a manifestation of the Holy Spirit to discern what their struggle is. It is always best to show compassion and understanding as scripture shows us.

Word up!

Grandfather
The Lord will withhold No Good Thing from Them that Walk Uprightly

Post by Grandfather » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm

branham1965 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:00 pm

In his book "Mere Christianity" C S Lewis makes what I believe is the same point, but uses a different analogy. He says that before you call someone a bad example of Christianity, you must first know how far they have come and how hard their journey was. Or you could use the word of Paul in Romans 14 "who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another?"

Hill Top
In Their Hands Shall His Angels Bear Up Those That Inhabit the Lord

Post by Hill Top » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 pm

Grandfather wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:08 pm
In his book "Mere Christianity" C S Lewis makes what I believe is the same point, but uses a different analogy. He says that before you call someone a bad example of Christianity, you must first know how far they have come and how hard their journey was. Or you could use the word of Paul in Romans 14 "who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another?"
What is a "bad" Christian?

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 am

Hill Top wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Good question, but he used the term "bad example of Christianity" and not merely bad "Christian". Maybe a bad example of Christianity was what Peter was when he was heading down the path of following the old law concerning foods when Paul called him out.

Some would consider that a bad example of Christianity. Had others followed him and continued down that path they would have eventually wound up on the wrong path. Our definition of "bad example of Christianity" all depends on how each of us perceive it.

Word up!

Grandfather
The Lord will withhold No Good Thing from Them that Walk Uprightly

Post by Grandfather » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 am

luchnia wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:56 am
Hill Top wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
Good question, but he used the term "bad example of Christianity" and not merely bad "Christian". Maybe a bad example of Christianity was what Peter was when he was heading down the path of following the old law concerning foods when Paul called him out.

Some would consider that a bad example of Christianity. Had others followed him and continued down that path they would have eventually wound up on the wrong path. Our definition of "bad example of Christianity" all depends on how each of us perceive it.
Thank you, apparently, they don't teach reading comprehension in school anymore either.

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Grandfather wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 am
luchnia wrote:
Hill Top wrote:
Grandfather wrote:

Thank you, apparently, they don't teach reading comprehension in school anymore either.
I think one of my toughest struggles with scripture was comprehending and even today I am challenged after well over forty years of study. Sometimes my brain simple doesn't get it and I remember not getting it in school.

One of the things that helped me most some years ago was looking at original languages and the formation of words when researching God's word and literally breaking the scripture down to a granular level. That was an area that gave me a greater understanding, however it created greater challenges in knowing that everything is not always as simple as we wished if we want to understand. Just the simple changing of how a scripture is phrased can change the entire concept.

No longer could I look at all scripture in the same light. That knowledge helps me in discerning when somebody is ignorant about something. I can easily know whether they have dug in deep enough to be grounded in a knowledge of the truth and not simply knowledge.

I might add, these chat forums can be quite difficult at times.

Word up!

Hill Top
In Their Hands Shall His Angels Bear Up Those That Inhabit the Lord

Post by Hill Top » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm

luchnia wrote:
How can you differentiate "bad example of Christianity" from "bad Christian" ?
Would you consider the "many thousands who are zealous of the Law" to be bad examples of Christianity? (Acts 21:20)
That was the environment Peter was coming from.
We have the words of the prophets, apostles, Jesus, and His Father to guide us on our opinions.
"Our" perception should be backed up with scripture.
"We" should all be of the same mind.

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm
How can you differentiate "bad example of Christianity" from "bad Christian" ?
It is easy because the two are not the same, yet how you define bad makes all the difference. A Christian believes and practices Christianity.

A bad example of Christianity would be something unpleasant or unwelcome in practice or something you would not desire to imitate in relation to the concept of Christianity in a group or individually, whereas a bad Christian would be an unpleasant, unwelcome, or undesired Christian.

An example of a bad Christian could be a Christian that has not learned the restraint to not think more highly of themselves than thinking soberly - one that is not too enjoyable to be around. I can give quite a few examples of what might be considered a bad Christian.

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:28 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm
We have the words of the prophets, apostles, Jesus, and His Father to guide us on our opinions.
"Our" perception should be backed up with scripture.
"We" should all be of the same mind.
I agree. We should mind the same things, yet we are not all at the same level of understanding thus not each having the identical same mind, and this differentiates us and rightly so. Being of the same mind has much to do with our "mindset" for lack of a better term. We should learn from the word of God how to make proper perception, of course with the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Word up!