Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe 12

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: The 12

Post by Ironman »

Grandfather wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:42 pm
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:24 pm
Mark 10:28–30 (KJV 1900)
28 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.

29 And Jesus answered and said, "Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel’s, 30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life."
Jesus recognized that the "all" that Peter had said that they'd left included wives and children.

Squaring it with Paul's comments in 1st Tim. 5:8 could be understood as Bibleman has explained, above.

Matthew records similar statements by Peter and Jesus in Matthew 19:27-30; also including forsaking wives and children.
I find that you are reading into the text something that is not there. You are making an argument from the silence of scripture. If they truly abandoned their family, they were in violation of Paul's command to take care of their family or they were worse than an infidel. Paul did not make an exclusion for anyone, but yet you are adding one. Only a hyper-literal reading of text without the context of other passages would give the impression.

Jesus addresses those that failed to care for family in Mark 7 when instead of taking care of family someone tried to claim their resources were dedicated to the Lord. Even on the cross Jesus looked to the care of his mother. (See John 19)
:neutral: :neutral: :neutral:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

macca
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All

Re: The 12

Post by macca »

Ok, the way this post is going, lets talk about Jesus and His response to family.
In Mark. 3; ver 20 Then the multitude came together again, so that they could so much as eat bread.
But when His own people(family) heard about this, they went out to lay hold of Him, for they said, "He is out of His mind"
They were ashamed and offended by Jesus.

31; then His brothers and His mother came, and standing outside they sent to Him, calling Him.
And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, 'look, Your mother and Your brothers
are outside seeking you."
But He answered them, saying, "Who is My mother, or My brothers?"
And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, "Here are My mother and My brothers!
For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother"
John. 7:1-5;