Dake Bible Discussion BoardActs 10:38

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
He that Maketh Haste to be Rich shall not be Innocent

Re: Acts 10:38

Post by luchnia » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 am

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:23 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:32 pm
Your portrayal of me is also a portrayal of Jesus.
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:25 pm
Really?
Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:00 pm
You can't see it?
You said I am a sinner (in so many words) because I found something scary.
But not Jesus who feared to undertake something scary?
I don't see how any reasonable person who understood the basic facts under discussion couldn't see the difference between being afraid of an elective surgery to being the subject of the entirety of God's wrath toward all sinners. If it were the same, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die for us. You could've just had elective surgery for us.

There is no comparison.

To me, to even compare the two as if they were the same seems blasphemous.
Well put. Fear is not the only thing in God's word that breaks down into many different meanings. We have to be wise and understand these things. It reminds me of the folks that say "sin is sin and it is all the same, makes no difference what it is" and yet, that is farthest from the truth about sin. The lack of knowledge of the truth today is astounding and that is something that should concern us.

Word up!

Hill Top
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shall the Lord Satisfy Thy Soul in Drought

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Really?
Hill Top wrote:
You can't see it?
I don't see how any reasonable person who understood the basic facts under discussion couldn't see the difference between being afraid of an elective surgery to being the subject of the entirety of God's wrath toward all sinners. If it were the same, Jesus wouldn't have needed to die for us. You could've just had elective surgery for us.
There is no comparison.
Who was more scared...Jesus who understood that torture and death awaited Him or me for finding surgery "scary"?
I would submit that it was Jesus.
I forgive you for accusing me of sin for finding something "scary", but will Christ forgive you for accusing all the fearful of sin?
Fear is fear.
There may be degrees of fear, but it is all, really, an emotion due to a situation.
If we are to give up the emotion of fear, must we also give up hope, love, excitement, desperation, gladness, happiness, dismay, generosity, pity, revulsion, and a few other parts of being human?
Your whole argument is ludicrous.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:55 pm

luchnia wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:43 am
Hill Top wrote:
Really?
Hill Top wrote:
You can't see it?

There is no comparison.

Well put. Fear is not the only thing in God's word that breaks down into many different meanings. We have to be wise and understand these things. It reminds me of the folks that say "sin is sin and it is all the same, makes no difference what it is" and yet, that is farthest from the truth about sin.
The lack of knowledge of the truth today is astounding and that is something that should concern us.
Would that be the "truth" Jesus said could free us from service to sin? (John 8:32-34)

Grandfather
In My Name Shall They Cast Out Devils

Post by Grandfather » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:26 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:52 pm
Fear is fear.
Really,

Then tell me about the Hebrew word “yare” - does it mean fear, to be afraid. Or to stand is awe, or to reverence and honor?

Or the Greek word phobeo, from where we get Phobia - to fear, to startle, to be struck with amazement, to reverence

And can you tell the difference between phobeo and phobos and aphobos? And since we are using Greek words. How about eulabeomai and ekphobos.

You see, the word you read as FEAR in the NT is actually different words in the original language and means different things depending on context. So, sadly FEAR is not always FEAR.

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:18 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Who was more scared...Jesus who understood that torture and death awaited Him or me for finding surgery "scary"?
I forgive you for accusing me of sin for finding something "scary", but will Christ forgive you for accusing all the fearful of sin?

Fear is fear.
There may be degrees of fear, but it is all, really, an emotion due to a situation.
If we are to give up the emotion of fear, must we also give up hope, love, excitement, desperation, gladness, happiness, dismay, generosity, pity, revulsion, and a few other parts of being human?
To me, the real issue of difference between your fear of surgery and Jesus' fear of God the Father is what is feared. Jesus feared God the Father. Not the torture and death that awaited Him from humans. The object of Jesus' fear was correct.

There are different kinds of fear, as Grandfather has said. There are also different things that can be feared. Not all fears are the same. Nor are they all equal. Some are good and some are bad.

The same is true with emotions. There are holy emotions and sinful emotions. It depends on the kind of emotion and the reason for the emotion. There are sinful hopes, sinful loves, sinful excitements, sinful desparations, sinful gladnesses, sinful happinesses, sinful dismays, sinful generosities, sinful pities, sinful revulsions, etc... There are holy versions of these emotions, also.

Your whole argument is ludicrous, to me, also.

Isaiah 29:12-13 New King James Version
Then the book is delivered to one who is illiterate, saying, "Read this, please." And he says, "I am not literate." Therefore the LORD said: "Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths And honor Me with their lips, But have removed their hearts far from Me, And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men...

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Grandfather wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:26 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Fear is fear.
Really,
Then tell me about the Hebrew word “yare” - does it mean fear, to be afraid. Or to stand is awe, or to reverence and honor?
Or the Greek word phobeo, from where we get Phobia - to fear, to startle, to be struck with amazement, to reverence
And can you tell the difference between phobeo and phobos and aphobos? And since we are using Greek words. How about eulabeomai and ekphobos.
You see, the word you read as FEAR in the NT is actually different words in the original language and means different things depending on context. So, sadly FEAR is not always FEAR.
Thank you Grandpop for studying that out for us.
My concordance says about the same thing about the Greek translation.
I guess context is in the eye of the beholder though, as I see a genuine fear of something by Jesus and others see awe and reverence...unto sweating like blood being shed.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm
Even with the faith to over come a fear of something "scary", the event is still scary.
The big question would be whether or not the fear changes who you are in your relationship with the Father.
I don't think finding something intrusively foreign scary does that.
What do you mean by "scary"?

Scary can mean frightening to some. Scary can mean something that is simply new and unknown to another. Scary can mean something to fearful of to another person, while it means something that provides an adrenaline rush to a different person. And there are possibly several different uses of the word that I missed.

So... what do you mean by "scary"?
In my case, something fraught with risk.
But after having waited two years for the referral to an eye doc', I can hardly wait to get it over with.
OH no - Now you can hardly wait! +tiptoe

For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. Hebrews 10:36

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather
In My Name Shall They Cast Out Devils

Post by Grandfather » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:37 pm

Hill Top wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:26 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Fear is fear.
Really,
Thank you Grandpop for studying that out for us.
My concordance says about the same thing about the Greek translation.
I guess context is in the eye of the beholder though, as I see a genuine fear of something by Jesus and others see awe and reverence...unto sweating like blood being shed.
If all you used was a concordance you didn’t “study” anything. Tell us why it some places these words mean one thing and in others mean something else? Why does “phobeo. Have three different meanings.

The words for fear mean more than fear. Unlike what you state.

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:18 pm
Hill Top wrote:

Fear is fear.
To me, the real issue of difference between your fear of surgery and Jesus' fear of God the Father is what is feared. Jesus feared God the Father. Not the torture and death that awaited Him from humans. The object of Jesus' fear was correct.
Our opinions differ.
There are different kinds of fear, as Grandfather has said. There are also different things that can be feared. Not all fears are the same. Nor are they all equal. Some are good and some are bad.
As the words ""awe" and "reverence" are used in other places, why do you suppose they were not used in the letter to the Hebrews too?
Fact is, it does in Heb 12:28..."Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:"
Here both "reverence" and "fear" are used indicating to me that they are to incite different reactions.
The same is true with emotions. There are holy emotions and sinful emotions. It depends on the kind of emotion and the reason for the emotion. There are sinful hopes, sinful loves, sinful excitements, sinful desparations, sinful gladnesses, sinful happinesses, sinful dismays, sinful generosities, sinful pities, sinful revulsions, etc... There are holy versions of these emotions, also.
With all that "maybe-maybe not", why then do you call my reaction to impending surgery sinful?
What scriptures are you basing your judgement on?

Hill Top

Post by Hill Top » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:55 pm

bibleman wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:35 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:53 pm
Grandfather wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:14 pm
Hill Top wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:45 pm
Even with the faith to over come a fear of something "scary", the event is still scary.
The big question would be whether or not the fear changes who you are in your relationship with the Father.
I don't think finding something intrusively foreign scary does that.
What do you mean by "scary"?

Scary can mean frightening to some. Scary can mean something that is simply new and unknown to another. Scary can mean something to fearful of to another person, while it means something that provides an adrenaline rush to a different person. And there are possibly several different uses of the word that I missed.

So... what do you mean by "scary"?
In my case, something fraught with risk.
But after having waited two years for the referral to an eye doc', I can hardly wait to get it over with.
OH no - Now you can hardly wait!
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise. Hebrews 10:36
Yes, I've been at the eye doc's determination of how bad my eyes are for longer than I wish. Apparently the gov' won't subsidize it till it reaches a certain bad point.
I was actually wondering if I would get my new driver's license.
My faith In the care and mercy of God toward me vanquishes fear...and phobia. :mrgreen: