Dake Bible Discussion BoardNew to Pastor Dake's writings here with sincere question & concern

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Sonflower
1 Kings

New to Pastor Dake's writings here with sincere question & concern

Post by Sonflower »

I happened on the Finis Dake annotated study Bible at a bookstore site I browse frequently. The synopsis was intriguing so I began to research the author, Finis Dake. In doing so on most all search engines criticisms of his work appeared before anything positive. Realizing this is a site dedicated to his teachings, and with all respect to that, I would like to ask if you all who know him better than myself would clear the air for me.
One criticism I found was from the site of someone I respect also, Hank Hanegraaff, the Bible Answer Man. Though this is not his article from years ago. https://www.equip.org/article/dakes-dangerous-doctrine/
Please let me know if those observations are correct. Or if the author of that piece is misleading. Thank you for your kind assistance and attention to my concern.

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: New to Pastor Dake's writings here with sincere question & concern

Post by Ironman »

Sonflower wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:33 pm
I happened on the Finis Dake annotated study Bible at a bookstore site I browse frequently. The synopsis was intriguing so I began to research the author, Finis Dake. In doing so on most all search engines criticisms of his work appeared before anything positive. Realizing this is a site dedicated to his teachings, and with all respect to that, I would like to ask if you all who know him better than myself would clear the air for me.
One criticism I found was from the site of someone I respect also, Hank Hanegraaff, the Bible Answer Man. Though this is not his article from years ago. https://www.equip.org/article/dakes-dangerous-doctrine/
Please let me know if those observations are correct. Or if the author of that piece is misleading. Thank you for your kind assistance and attention to my concern.
I will leave the in depth answer to your question to Bibleman. Personally, I sincerely belive any criticism of the great preacher Finis Dake is inspired by Satan and designed to discredit his work and pull people away from the truth of the Word of God.

Do you know Dake is the only preacher, that I know of anyway, that could and did give hour long sermons on any subject in the Bible, while quoting every revelant Scripture to back up what he was preaching, without once looking at a Bible? God blessed him and gave him this special gift of the Spirit where he has the entire Bible in his mind.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Sonflower
1 Kings

Post by Sonflower »

Ironman wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Sonflower wrote:
I will leave the in depth answer to your question to Bibleman. Personally, I sincerely belive any criticism of the great preacher Finis Dake is inspired by Satan and designed to discredit his work and pull people away from the truth of the Word of God.

Do you know Dake is the only preacher, that I know of anyway, that could and did give hour long sermons on any subject in the Bible, while quoting every revelant Scripture to back up what he was preaching, without once looking at a Bible? God blessed him and gave him this special gift of the Spirit where he has the entire Bible in his mind.
No, I did not know this. I've only recently been made aware of Pastor Dake.
This is why I sincerely seek answers concerning the numerous criticisms of his teaching. I included the Bible Answerman link as a reference because he outlines where he takes issue. As I'm not familiar with Pastor Dake's teachings per say this is why I asked a forum dedicated to his ministry my question.

Namely, for the point for point matters that Hank Hanegraaff takes issue with, is he correct? Or is he misreading? Or even, misleading?
Those who know Pastor Dake's teachings well I would surmise are able to help me with the answers.
And I do know Satan seeks to blind us to truth every chance he gets. This is also why I would like and do ask with sincere and open heart for clarity in this matter.

Blessings,
S

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Ironman »

Sonflower wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:29 pm
Ironman wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:38 pm
Sonflower wrote:

No, I did not know this. I've only recently been made aware of Pastor Dake.
This is why I sincerely seek answers concerning the numerous criticisms of his teaching. I included the Bible Answerman link as a reference because he outlines where he takes issue. As I'm not familiar with Pastor Dake's teachings per say this is why I asked a forum dedicated to his ministry my question.

Namely, for the point for point matters that Hank Hanegraaff takes issue with, is he correct? Or is he misreading? Or even, misleading?
Those who know Pastor Dake's teachings well I would surmise are able to help me with the answers.
And I do know Satan seeks to blind us to truth every chance he gets. This is also why I would like and do ask with sincere and open heart for clarity in this matter.

Blessings,
S
Check this out.

0:02 / 13:45

God's Plan for Man discussed on the PTL show. (Finis J. Dake)

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Sonflower
1 Kings

Post by Sonflower »

Thank you. That was the first video of Pastor Dake that I happened upon in my searches.
But how does that address my inquiry about what is said about his teachings point for point. And for those who know them, their rebuttal of the naysayers, like the Hanegraaff link I shared, point for point?

For instance Pastor Dake to my understanding said that disease and illness are the results of sin in his annotated reference Bible.
All sicknesses and diseases are but progressive forms of death, and are the wages of sin–the results of the invisible sentence of the righteous judgment of God. They are called “evil” here because they come from evil, sin, and the fall of man, and are propagated by satanic powers (Lk. 13:16; Jn. 10:10; Acts 10:38). The bolding of the latter text is mine.

Does he mean to say all illness and disease are due to evil, sin, and are propagated even upon the Christian by satanic powers?

dolph
The Lord Jesus Christ Has Received All Power in Heaven and in Earth

Post by dolph »

Sonflower, I have been a disciple of Mr. Dake for a approximately 30 years. He lets the Bible interpret itself and is the smartest man who ever lived in my humble opinion. The Bible answer man takes a cheap personal shot at Mr. Dake which shouldn't surprise anyone coming from someone giving themselves such a title. It may prove to be more fruitful for you to read Dake's commentary with its abundance of scripture references and decide for yourself. The Bible is the final authority and not any man. I have never lost a debate with anyone when defending the commentary of the late great Finis Jennings Dake.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Sonflower wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:01 pm
Thank you. That was the first video of Pastor Dake that I happened upon in my searches.
But how does that address my inquiry about what is said about his teachings point for point. And for those who know them, their rebuttal of the naysayers, like the Hanegraaff link I shared, point for point?

For instance Pastor Dake to my understanding said that disease and illness are the results of sin in his annotated reference Bible.
All sicknesses and diseases are but progressive forms of death, and are the wages of sin–the results of the invisible sentence of the righteous judgment of God. They are called “evil” here because they come from evil, sin, and the fall of man, and are propagated by satanic powers (Lk. 13:16; Jn. 10:10; Acts 10:38). The bolding of the latter text is mine.

Does he mean to say all illness and disease are due to evil, sin, and are propagated even upon the Christian by satanic powers?
From Dakes book, Gods Plan for man.

God is not the author of sin, sickness or disease.

The following passages reveal that providence is working toward the final end and that there is a special providence for saints that is not enjoyed by sinners (Ps. 34:7-10; 37:1-12, 23-28; Prov. 3:6; Mt. 6:33; Rom. 8:28). Saints so often take sickness, accidents, financial loss, and other adversities as manifestations of providence, but the fact is that these things are never the direct will of God and are never caused directly by God. They are caused by the evil forces that more or less control the world social order in this period of rebellion against God on the Earth.

The only glory God gets out of these things caused by the devil is in the deliverance of God's people from the satanic forces that cause them. God's will is that saints should take a stand against these evils and cooperate with Him to work out all these things for His glory. Thus, God develops faith and patience in His people and gets the opportunity to demonstrate His power over His enemies. Saints must realize that they are now on enemy territory in a rebellious world. They must also realize that if rebels had no power to take any action in their realm that would affect God's people for their hurt, then God could never take vengeance on them or defeat their common enemy and work out all things for their good and His glory. It is only when saints quit blaming God for everything that happens and instead have faith in Him for their deliverance, that God will be pleased with them. It is only when they recognize the works of Satan that they can take a stand against him and defeat him through and with the help of God.

To say that God directly willed the sin and fall of man—for Cain to slay Abel, for Enos to begin idolatry, for men to become wicked, for Noah to get drunk and the race to rebel in every dispensation until He had to bring judgment—is saying too much. To teach that God directly wills and is the cause of civil wars, strifes, sicknesses, diseases, accidents, curses, and calamities to come upon men is to be unscriptural to say the least. To blame God as being the cause of the millions of evil things that have happened to men through the ages is putting the blame on the wrong person.

God is absolutely holy and just in all His dealings. All of His acts are for the betterment of the race and for the good of each individual concerned. He has a plan for each person in life, and He tries to get each person to follow the highest will of God, but if some do not, and they get into trouble, then He is not to blame. Sin, stubbornness, and rebellion among free moral agents, and the conditions that sin has caused, plus the direct and untiring efforts of millions of evil spirits among men to get them to step aside from God's highest will for their life, cause certain events that are beyond the control of God.

The Bible reveals hundreds of instances showing that men have deviated from truth and have transgressed some detail of God's will and have broken some law. These transgressions have caused certain troubles to come to the individual, but not once does it reveal that God was directly to blame for any evil that came upon even one person. God has allowed Satan to test men in order to purify and refine them and to teach certain lessons in their training for the future life, but God has always delivered these men when the test was ended. God has always been the deliverer of His people in any trouble, regardless of the cause of the trouble. God is not the kind of person to deliberately bring afflictions upon His people just to have a chance to deliver them. God, however, takes pleasure in delivering His people from the hand of the enemy.

In other words, divine providence is not the cause of these troubles in life, but it is the deliverer from all these troubles. Providence works everything out for the best to all concerned. Only an infinite God could cause the fall of man, personal troubles, accidents, etc., to work for the good of the persons involved and for the glory of Himself. Providence so works out everything for God's glory and for the good of men until all believers can conscientiously say, “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose” (Rom. 8:28-30).

We can truthfully say that providence does this in spite of the accident, the sin, the rebellion, or the trouble, not because of it. We have seen and will yet more fully see that sickness is not caused by God, but by the devil. It is God's will to heal every sickness for His glory. He has made provision on Calvary for this purpose and has provided all means of healing for the sick one; so if one does not appropriate the benefits of Calvary and get healed, the failure is not God's fault. The Bible is very clear that Christ “took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses” on the cross (Mt. 8:16-17; 1 Pet. 2:24; Isa. 53:4-6), and all one must do to be healed is to have the same simple faith in healing in the atonement as one has for forgiveness in the atonement. Healing would come as simply and as quickly as forgiveness if the same simple faith would be exercised in sickness as with sins. Paul told the Corinthians that for failure to appropriate healing through the broken body and shed blood of Christ, “many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep”; that is, many have died when they should still have been alive (1 Cor. 11:25-34). If God's will were done on Earth as it is in Heaven, we would not have sin or sickness.

The same is true of accidents, financial losses, and other troubles among men. God desires to help man, and it is His highest will for man to prosper and be blessed with all good things of life, and in the final restitution of all things, when Satan and all evil forces have been destroyed and the Earth rid of all rebellion, there will not be any of these troubles. This demonstrates the highest will of God. It is only now by the permissive will of God that these things continue until the time of the final removal of them in the New Earth. God wants man now to learn that sin and rebellion does not pay, so that when all things are restored as before the Fall, man will not sin any more.

Individually, every man can get freedom from want, sickness, and many other effects of the Fall. Just what man can have is plainly revealed in the promises and the partial list of the benefits of the providence of God in Point III, above. Also, the way to appropriate these benefits is made clear in these Scriptures. It can then be seen that God's plan for man is that of abundant peace, love, goodness, faith, salvation, health, prosperity, and happiness here and now and of eternal life and untold blessings in the life to come.

Thus, it is God's desire that no man live in sin. To enable man to be forgiven and redeemed from the power, dominion, and life of sin He sent a Saviour. His will is that no man should be sick. To accomplish this will He sent a Healer to deliver man from all his diseases and the oppression of the devil. His will is that every man should prosper in material things. To accomplish this purpose He created an abundance for all and gave man wisdom as to how to get his share of wealth without committing sin to get it. There are certain laws of prosperity which we shall note in future lessons, that if any man will follow them he can be prosperous. His will is that no man should have an accident. To accomplish this intention He gave man intelligence to prevent accidents, and if all would follow God's way we would not have them. He has made special provision for His own people to be helped out of such troubles. He sends His angels to minister to them that shall be heirs of salvation (Heb. 1:14). He has promised protection to them from trouble, to help in time of trouble (Ps. 34:7; 91:1-12; Rom. 8:28).

Providence will make these benefits a reality in the lives of all, if all men will submit to the whole will of God and consecrate themselves to the highest good of being and of the universe. Men who seek special providence and desire to be special recipients of providence have certain conditions to meet as plainly laid down in Scripture, as we shall see in connection with the provisions promised. If man wants salvation from sin let him give up the sin business and consecrate his life wholly to God and receive the divine new birth in his life. Let him continue in righteousness and true holiness as he is saved (Eph. 4:22-24; Gal. 5:24; 2 Cor. 5:17; Col. 2:6-7; 1 Jn. 1:7). If one wants healing let him appropriate the healing virtue of Calvary by faith in the atonement and God will supernaturally heal him. If one wants prosperity let him faithfully carry out the laws governing the divine supply. If he wants protection let him commit himself and all his ways to God and trust God daily, and He shall bring it to pass. How to attain to all known needs of life will be fully discussed in Lesson Twelve.

The free will of man is the only barrier that will ever stand in the way of his best interests. Divine providence, then, is limited and conditioned by a sinful free will. The only way God could prevent free moral agents from sin, accidents, rebellions, and other free acts of the will was by not creating them. For God to place one free will under irresistible divine restraint and compulsion would destroy free moral agency. If this were done, then not only all sin, but all virtue and holiness as attributes of the free will would be destroyed; for only such beings as can put forth free and holy volitions can put forth sinful volitions. The sinful and fallen race needs providence to guide them back to God and to develop holy character and the highest moral service for the good of being and of the universe.

Many happenings that befall God's children occur through the sins of others, the rebellion of men against God, the conditions caused by reaping what is sown, or by some demon power causing them to act contrary to the will of God. That good men suffer at the hands of evil men is a well-known fact. That Satan causes many of God's people to suffer is plainly stated in many Scriptures, as we have seen in Lesson Six. God may or may not prevent certain disasters that befall His people. His decision depends upon the time, place, and conditions of the times in which the people live.

Sometimes this is the only way God can work out His plan in certain individuals or classes of people. Sometimes God has overruled the workings of evil men against His children so that they were not destroyed. This was true of Joseph, Moses, David, Daniel, Paul, Peter, and others. On the other hand, God has permitted certain ones to be destroyed so as to further his purpose. This is true of Abel, Jesus, Stephen, James, and others. The child of God must say with Paul if ever he is faced with like circumstances, “Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.” It was necessary that Christ should die for the sins of the world. Such was necessary in the working out of the divine plan. In the war on saints as in the early Church or in certain other periods of time, the cause of God was advanced much faster and the power of God was made more manifest by such war than if things had gone smoothly for the cause of God. Jesus taught that “except a grain of wheat fall into the ground and die it abideth alone, but if it dies it bringeth forth much fruit” (Jn. 12:24). Again, “the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church” has been a true saying in many periods of history.

The purpose and final end of providence is to get all men to see their own need of guidance and care from an all-wise infinite Heavenly Father and to consecrate themselves to the same end to which God is consecrated—the highest good of being and of the universe. It is by God's longsuffering, His patience, mercy and goodness even to stubborn rebels that many free moral agents are becoming broken and willing to depend upon God and His infinite goodness and power to take them safely to the desired haven in the life to come. They are becoming willing to trust God as the only one who cares and provides for their every need in this life. They are learning by obedient and voluntary surrender to the will of God in all things that their lives are being enriched and blessed with those things that are worthy of their own creative makeup. They are learning that the highest glory of the creature is to live for the good of all concerned and to worship and serve God in true humility and harmony.

Sonflower
1 Kings

Post by Sonflower »

Thank you for that narrative. I joined to get an answer to my question about the detractors and hoping someone would put it right. Thus far, no.

I will say with regard to what you posted that given all that was posted, and what was said about disease and illness, what then of Pastor Dake dying from Parkinson's Disease?
How then does that fact factor in with all that you shared.

Thanks again. I'm off to see if I can find anyone that can answer my sincere question as I seek those who may refute the detractors point for point with their pointed knowledge of Finis Dake's ministry.

Blessings,
S.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Jeff Spencer wrote;
"Dake’s views range from orthodox to outlandish, to decidedly unorthodox. He rejected the theology of “denominationalism” and instead adopted a hyperliteral interpretation of Scripture that resulted in erroneous doctrines, such as the view that each person in the Trinity has a body, soul, and spirit, and that Jesus’ resurrected body was not physical.

I am not a preacher. I am a retired coal miner, nothing more, but I do understand plain simple Scriptures and I believe what I read.

Regarding Jesus' resurrected body not being physical being erroneous is shot down in Dakes teachings and also in the Word of God as he taught.

Here Jesus appeared to His disciples in a closed windowless room and they were terrified because they thought they saw a spirit. Then Jesus said this.

Luke 24: 36:43.
36, And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

37, But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.

38, And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?

39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones as ye see me have.

40, And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

Jesus then asked them if they had any meat? and they gave Him some food and He did eat before them.

41, And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42, And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43, And he took it, and did eat before them.

Plus John 20:18-19; and v. 26-28.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

And this??
"Many of Dake’s doctrinal errors begin with his misunderstanding of God’s nature. He states, “God has a spirit body with bodily parts like man.”21 The only difference between God’s body and man’s, according to Dake, is that God’s body is a spiritual substance while man’s body is a material substance. He offers several lines of faulty reasoning to support his view. First, he argues that since the natural body will be raised a spiritual body, this means that spirit beings have bodies:"

Scripture plainly and clearly teaches that God does have a body. A spirit body. To say this is wrong is foolish. As Dake outlines in plain simple easy to understand human language.

God the Father has a body with bodily parts as we have and this also proves the Father Son and Holy Spirit are not "ONE in body but 'ONE" in unity in all things.
God has a spirit body with bodily parts like a man. This is proved by hundreds of Scriptures that do not need interpretation. God is a Spirit being, infinite, eternal, immutable, self-existent, omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent, invisible, impartial, immortal, absolutly holy, full of wisdom, full of knowledge, and just in all things. God is known in Scripture by over two hundred names. He is describes as being like any other person as to having a body, soul, and spirit (Job 13:8; Heb. 1:3 ; Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-7). He is a spirit being with a body (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-6 ; 9-19 ; Exodus 24:11 ; Ezek. 1:26-28 , Acts 7:54-59 ; Rev. 4:2-4 ; 5:1 ; 5-7 ; 22:4-5), shape (John 5:37), form (Phil. 2:5-7, same Greek word as in Mark 16:12, which refers to bodily form); and an image and likeness of a man (Gen. 1:26 ; 9:6 ; Ezek. 1:26-28 ; 1 Cor. 11:7, Jas. 3:9; Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-6).
He has a heart (Gen. 6:6 ; 8:21). hands and fingers (Exod. 31:18, Psalms 8:3-6, Rev. 5:1 ; 6-7), Nostrils (Ps. 18:8), mouth (Num. 12:8), lips and tongue Isa. 30:27, feet (Ezek. 1:27 ; Exodus 24:10); eyes, eyelids, sight (Ps. 11:4 ; 18:24 ; 33:18) ; voice (Ps. 29 ; Rev. 10:3-4 ; Gen. 1) ; breath (Gen. 2:7) ; ears (Ps. 18:6) ; head, hair, face, arms (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-19 ; Rev. 5:1 ; loins (Ezek. 1:26 ; 28; 8:1-4); bodily presence (Gen. 3:8 ; 18:1-22 ; Job 1:6-12 ; 2:1-7 ; Exodus 24:10-11 ; and many other bodily parts as required by Him to be a person with a body.
God goes from place to place just like any one else (Gen. 3:8 ; 11:5 ; 18:1-22, 33 ; 19:24 ; 32:24-32 ; 35:13 ; Zech. 14:5 ; Titus 2:13). God is omnipresent but not omnibody, that is His presence can be felt everywhere but His body is not everywhere. God wears cloths (Dan. 7:9-14 ; 10:5-19 ; God eats food (Gen. 18:1-22 ; Exodus 24:11).
There is not one Scripture in the Bible which states that God is intangible, immaterial, without a body, or bodily parts, and passions except John 4:24, “God is a spirit,” and this certainly does not teach that He is without a body. The difference between Spirit and flesh and bone is substance.

The Word, who became flesh, and is now risen, Jesus, now has a glorified flesh and bone body and the scares to prove it;
Luke 24:39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
Jesus will carry the wounds forever as a reminder of what He endured to all throughout eternity future!
Zechariah 13:6, And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
And where is Jesus now? He is sitting in His glorified flesh and bone body, along side the Father, at His Fathers right hand, in Heaven;
Mark 16:19, "So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God."
Its doesn't say He is inside the Father because they are omnibody?
And where is the Holy Spirit while Jesus is in Heaven with the Father? Look at this, The Holy Spirit, the third person of the Godhead is on the Earth.
John 14:16, And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
Jesus on Earth praying to His Father, Luke 11:12, who was in Heaven. The Father speaking from Heaven about Jesus, Luke 3:22, who was on the Earth, Jesus returns to The father in Heaven and the Father sends the Holy Spirit, John 14:16, to the earth.
That makes three separate divine beings. Remember this?
Genesis 1:26, And God said, LET US make man in OUR image, after OUR likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Was God talking to Himself? or was He talking to the Word who was in the beginning with God and who was also God, and also the Holy Spirit?

Joshua 5:13-15 King James Version (KJV)
13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my Lord unto his servant?
15 And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.
This man proved to be the God of heaven, one of the persons of the Divine Godhead who was personally leading Israel from Egypt. He now revealed Himself as a man, so that from outward appearance He stood like a man, looked like a man, held a sword like a man, spoke like a man with an audible voice, and Joshua approached Him like a man(v 13).
Joshua worshipped Him (v 14), and such reverence belongs only to Divine ones. If He had only been a messenger of God He would not have permitted worship. Joshua called Him Lord, master, owner. Joshua recognised himself as His servant.