Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe gospel verses the truth - Acts 16

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
bibleman
Administrator

Re: The gospel verses the truth - Acts 16

Post by bibleman »

As to looking at the interlinear Greek on this passage here it is.

Take a look here: http://biblehub.com/interlinear/acts/16-16.htm

And here: http://studybible.info/interlinear/ACts%2016:16

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

Let's look at this from another angle so we can be refreshed from the things of the Lord and not evil spirits that imitate gods of stone that came from men's minds that are no gods at all.

The diviner was possessed by this spirit (from the references it is believed to be located in pathos or believed to be a serpent from pythos - who knows what this spirit was imitating). Dake's notes even show us the wise men that visited Jesus practiced divination. Where they of the spirit of pythos, or some other imitating spirit?

What we know about spirits can fill an entire thread, but my question is what do we believe about evil spirits that we know from God's word? We know that evil spirits lie, slander, falsely accuse, imitate things, have doctrines, teach, have hierarchy, and on and on it goes. They are adversarial deceivers just as their leaders are and a point of critical understanding is that they deceive with a more than ordinary intelligence.

Look at Acts 17:22-30. Athens was full of such mythical superstitious fables like Harry Potter. Those mythical fables can deceive and pull folks away from the God of the living. Dake has excellent dissertation on evil spirits in GPFM.

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Word up!

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:As to looking at the interlinear Greek on this passage here it is.

Take a look here: http://biblehub.com/interlinear/acts/16-16.htm

And here: http://studybible.info/interlinear/ACts%2016:16
Thanks for the notes!

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

luchnia wrote:Let's look at this from another angle so we can be refreshed from the things of the Lord and not evil spirits that imitate gods of stone that came from men's minds that are no gods at all.

The diviner was possessed by this spirit (from the references it is believed to be located in pathos or believed to be a serpent from pythos - who knows what this spirit was imitating). Dake's notes even show us the wise men that visited Jesus practiced divination. Where they of the spirit of pythos, or some other imitating spirit?

What we know about spirits can fill an entire thread, but my question is what do we believe about evil spirits that we know from God's word? We know that evil spirits lie, slander, falsely accuse, imitate things, have doctrines, teach, have hierarchy, and on and on it goes. They are adversarial deceivers just as their leaders are and a point of critical understanding is that they deceive with a more than ordinary intelligence.

Look at Acts 17:22-30. Athens was full of such mythical superstitious fables like Harry Potter. Those mythical fables can deceive and pull folks away from the God of the living. Dake has excellent dissertation on evil spirits in GPFM.

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Above you asked: "...my question is what do we believe about evil spirits that we know from God's word?"

Answer: God's Word says it was a spirit of python.

Is there are problem with calling the spirit "a spirit of python" as the Bible text reads?

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

bibleman wrote:
luchnia wrote:Let's look at this from another angle so we can be refreshed from the things of the Lord and not evil spirits that imitate gods of stone that came from men's minds that are no gods at all.

Above you asked: "...my question is what do we believe about evil spirits that we know from God's word?"

Is there are problem with calling the spirit "a spirit of python" as the Bible text reads?
No, not at all.

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

luchnia wrote:
bibleman wrote:

No, not at all.
:angel:

God bless
Leon Bible

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Look in the Complete Concordance and Cyclopedic Index in the Dake Bible under

the spirit world,angels, false gods,demons,fallen angels etc.

All through the Old Testament they are mentioned.False gods.

THERE WAS GREAT DEMON POWER AND DEVILS ATTACHED TO THEM.

Like today in the Islamic world.Allah was a moon god of Mecca.

And 1.7 billion bowed their faces today toward Mecca to worship him.

That is what was operating through that poor exploited girl in Acts 16.Real demon powers.

SHE WAS NOT A GOSPEL PREACHER!!! I never heard anything so bizarre.

The devil knew who Christ was.And he knew and knows who believers are.He knew Paul was for real.The greatest apostle.

See Bible Truths Unmasked under Spiritual Warfare,See God's Plan for Man

or please check the notes in Reverend Dake's Bible about Satan,fallen angels and demons.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

reverend finis jennings dake rules this board

NOT THAT RELIGIOUS SPIRIT INFESTED ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO NOT POST THAT RUBBISH ON HERE.EVER!!!!!!!!!!

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

THE FACT THAT LEON :-| LETS YOU PUT THAT RUBBISH ON HERE MEANS ITS OVER.

reverend dake would never go for this

luchnia

Post by luchnia »

branham1965 wrote:

SHE WAS NOT A GOSPEL PREACHER!!! I never heard anything so bizarre.
I am reasonably well studied on demonology, yet I strive to learn more from God's word and do each day. I have never closed that door of life long learning from God. What perplexes me more is why you seem so defensive about these things and adamantly take a stand such as, "SHE WAS NOT A GOSPEL PREACHER!!!"when in fact we have the very words of truth of what the evil spirit spoke through her in the scriptures. She was simply a woman that was possessed by an evil spirit.

What was the purpose of that particular evil spirit preaching the truth for many days as it did? What is the purpose of any evil spirit proclaiming truth when it is to their advantage? What would be the outcome for the people witnessing this and hearing the words it spoke? Understanding this will go a long way toward understanding how they operate and especially the intended purpose in this case. Additionally, this can open up a much clearer understanding of how men with limited wisdom can imitate doctrines of demons unknowingly.

If you would please, please, please, give some credence to the fact that devils can be supremely intelligent and proclaim truth as much as they need in order to pull people away from God (this is their main purpose), you would have a different perspective to this whole thing. Really try to understand what that evil spirit was trying to do to Paul and the men there.

What better way to align those that proclaimed Jesus with evil than speak the truth about them from a diviner spirit? It was brilliant to convince those that bought into such, but could not stand in the power of the Holy Spirit. Ask the question, What was the purpose of the evil spirit in that context? If we remove our limitations, such enlightenment can open up God's word like never before.

Word up!