Dake Bible Discussion BoardRape and slavery in the bible

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
josh6780

Rape and slavery in the bible

Post by josh6780 »

What is your go to answer when someone wants to bring these up. I myself understand in my mind. However, I really don't know how to explain it to people who use these arguments that really make no sense in the first place. I use to have these kinds of questions and eventually moses law just started making sense. That was only because I started understanding how God worked. What would you say though if you were trying to tell someone about Jesus and the first thing they bring up is Slavery and Rape?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: Rape and slavery in the bible

Post by Ironman »

josh6780 wrote:What is your go to answer when someone wants to bring these up. I myself understand in my mind. However, I really don't know how to explain it to people who use these arguments that really make no sense in the first place. I use to have these kinds of questions and eventually moses law just started making sense. That was only because I started understanding how God worked. What would you say though if you were trying to tell someone about Jesus and the first thing they bring up is Slavery and Rape?
We know God does not condone rape or slavery but these things will continue until Jesus returns, destroys Babylon and puts down all sin and rebellion. Men will weep because they will no longer be able to continue in their sinful ways which includes buying, using and selling slaves, as Revelation 18: 13 teaches.

Revelation 18: 1 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.

V. 2, And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

Revelation 18: 11, And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

V. 12, The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

V. 13, And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, SLAVES, and souls of men.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

josh6780

Post by josh6780 »

What about when people bring things like Judges 21:10-24, Numbers 31:7-18, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, 2 Samuel 12:11-14, Exodus 21:7-11, Zechariah 14:1-2 - It's these kinds of things certain people throw in my face. I have always understood it has no different than why God let people get divorces. because the hardness of their hearts and buying and selling slaves was more a of cultural thing already and God was merely applying law over what they were already doing. However, I really don't know how to answer these others even though I understand myself that it is a simple result of the universal law of you reap what you sow. And I understand that God was using His own people to judge other people.

Like when he had Joshua brutally murder every man woman and child. I understand that God said that it was not their righteousness but God's judgment for these peoples sins that were bringing all this about. Why though, did God use His people to do all these things verses letting Satan take control like he did in Job and kill people with lighting or a mass disease?

I was just looking to see if anyone had a more direct way of explaining these things. Maybe it's not so easy but sometimes people actually want to know and are not just attacking me with the easiest "old testament God" thing they can think of.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

josh6780 wrote:What about when people bring things like Judges 21:10-24, Numbers 31:7-18, Deuteronomy 22:28-29, 2 Samuel 12:11-14, Exodus 21:7-11, Zechariah 14:1-2 - It's these kinds of things certain people throw in my face. I have always understood it has no different than why God let people get divorces. because the hardness of their hearts and buying and selling slaves was more a of cultural thing already and God was merely applying law over what they were already doing. However, I really don't know how to answer these others even though I understand myself that it is a simple result of the universal law of you reap what you sow. And I understand that God was using His own people to judge other people.

Like when he had Joshua brutally murder every man woman and child. I understand that God said that it was not their righteousness but God's judgment for these peoples sins that were bringing all this about. Why though, did God use His people to do all these things verses letting Satan take control like he did in Job and kill people with lighting or a mass disease?

I was just looking to see if anyone had a more direct way of explaining these things. Maybe it's not so easy but sometimes people actually want to know and are not just attacking me with the easiest "old testament God" thing they can think of.
Read Dake's notes on this: Like when he had Joshua brutally murder every man woman and child.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note