Dake Bible Discussion BoardCorrect Statement?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Reuben
Pray Always with All Perseverance for All Saints

Correct Statement?

Post by Reuben »

God's love is unconditional but the benefits are conditional. True statement?

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Re: Correct Statement?

Post by luchnia »

Reuben wrote:God's love is unconditional but the benefits are conditional. True statement?
I am one of the few that believe God's love is absolutely conditional and purposed. Yet, that is my perception.

Word up!

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

Reuben wrote:God's love is unconditional but the benefits are conditional. True statement?
God certainly loves unconditionally just as we all love our children. None of my children have to earn my love. It was there from the moment they were conceived in their mother's womb. God being a better parent than any of us certainly has that kind of love for His creation (Matt. 7:11).

However, my children always had to EARN certain privileges. Watching television, playing on the computer, getting an allowance, going to Six Flags, to Chuck E. Cheez, etc. had conditions. Refuse to do your chores, clean up your room, do your homework, etc. kept them from getting those privileges. Those privileges were CONDITIONAL. Therefore, while I ALWAYS loved them even when they did not do as I wished, I withheld certain things as a result. It was not from vindictiveness, but from teaching them responsibility and the fact that choices come with consequences.

So yes, it is a true statement.

cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

Post by cpbeller »

I agree with Victory.

The very word translated "love" is an unconditional love. The KJV translates very appropriately as "charity" (in 1 Corinthians 13). It is a love that is given without any expectation to receive in return.

Romans 5:8 tells us that God demonstrated His love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

It is a self-sacrificing love. To gain the full blessings, or benefits, of that love is conditional. You have to walk in faith.

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

Reuben

Post by Reuben »

cpbeller wrote:I agree with Victory.

The very word translated "love" is an unconditional love. The KJV translates very appropriately as "charity" (in 1 Corinthians 13). It is a love that is given without any expectation to receive in return.

Romans 5:8 tells us that God demonstrated His love for us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

It is a self-sacrificing love. To gain the full blessings, or benefits, of that love is conditional. You have to walk in faith.

I of course agree with you CP but there is one thing you said - I have also said it many times but I am now rethinking it.
It is a love that is given without any expectation to receive in return.
But doesn't God expect something in return? Is the investment of his love for the purpose of receiving something back? Just thinking

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

OK here is a different take.

God starts out loving EVERYONE unconditional,,, BUT he does NOT continue to love unconditional.

For example....

God hates those who do iniquity: Psalm 5:5, "The boastful shall not stand before Thine eyes; Thou dost hate all who do iniquity,"

God hates those who love violence: Psalm 11:5, "The Lord tests the righteous and the wicked, and the one who loves violence His soul hates."

God hates all those nations who have evil customs: Lev. 20:23, "Moreover, you shall not follow the customs of the nation which I shall drive out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I have abhorred them."

God hates those who have Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, that devises wicked plans, whose feet that run rapidly to evil, A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers." Prov. 6:16-19, "There are six things which the Lord hates, yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: 17 Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil, 19 A false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."

God hates those who have wicked deeds: Hosea 9:15, "All their evil is at Gilgal; indeed, I came to hate them there! Because of the wickedness of their deeds I will drive them out of My house! I will love them no more; All their princes are rebels."

What do you think?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Love and obey God and receive all the promised blessings.

Ignore God and disobey Him and receive all the promised punishments.

Its all there in His Word.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

Ironman wrote:Love and obey God and receive all the promised blessings.

Exactly!

Word up!

Reuben

Post by Reuben »

Ironman wrote:Love and obey God and receive all the promised blessings.

That is indisputable and I agree with you Ironman but does Bibleman have a valid point above? Does his love become conditional? It's interesting that Jesus defined love by obeying or keeping the Word so in essence love is an action or doing concept. That being the case then is God's love defined the same way? Does repentance open up the fountain of God's love to flow into the life and be realized and demonstrated?

Just a lot of thinking outloud so-to-speak.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

who knows. :morning: :morning: :morning:
Last edited by branham1965 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.