Dake Bible Discussion BoardToil On in Faith

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Toil On in Faith

Post by titus213 »

This is my 3rd and final post attempting to show the value of the Dake Bible and Rev. Dake's wise comments in so many places. Sometimes people get so focused on his controversial comments that they lose sight of all the other helps in the DARB.

As Dake explains in the introduction to the DARB, he wanted to provide in one volume a work which would include commentary, atlas, dictionary, concordance, etc. He had in mind the pastor, Sunday School teacher, or Bible student who may not have access to all these helps, or the financial resources to purchase them. Some of his commentary notes, therefore, have special meaning to those individuals who may be laboring for the Lord in small, out-of-the-way places. In a day of megachurches and celebrity-status pastors, his notes can be a breath of fresh air.

Here's one example: In Isaiah 49 (the 2nd of the 4 Servant Songs in Isaiah) Dake interprets verses 1-12 as a prophecy of Christ, and I think that is the correct interpretation. But what I want to point out is Dake's great comment on verse 4, "The Work of the Messiah". The verse itself states:

Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the Lord, and my work with my God.

And here is Rev. Dake's comment:

Though the Messiah's work seemed of little success--being so hated by men and despised by His own people (Isa. 49:7; 53:1-12 Mt. 21:33-45; 23:34-39 Jn. 1:11; Acts 2:23)--yet He had perfect confidence in God as to the final outcome of His work; He never became discouraged or despondent. Committing Himself to God, He did not attempt to avenge wrongs. He left His name, reputation, plans, and work with God. Isa. 49:4 teaches that the most faithful self-denial and holy living may, for a time, seem unfruitful--through no fault of the worker, but because of conditions on earth. Those who labor must learn to do as Christ did--commit themselves and their work to God, and toil on in faith.

I think you can see how a comment like this can hearten any faithful worker in the Lord's vineyard who may not be seeing the kind of "success" or "popularity" portrayed on Christian cable tv or other media.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Toil On in Faith

Post by branham1965 »

:angel: :angel:

thank you for such wisdom Pastor.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Re: Toil On in Faith

Post by macca »

Thank you brother