Dake Bible Discussion BoardIs Confident Prayer being Presumptuous?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Is Confident Prayer being Presumptuous?

Post by victoryword »

Is Confident Prayer being Presumptuous?

http://victoriouswordchurch.blogspot.co ... tuous.html

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Is Confident Prayer being Presumptuous?

Post by branham1965 »

i think alot of people are hindered in prayer.guilt,condemnation,satanic attacks hinder prayers.

Peter spoke of prayers being hindered.

victoryword wrote:Is Confident Prayer being Presumptuous?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

some are like the Pharisee in Luke 18 who trusted in himself that he was righteous and despised others.
he stood and prayed thus with himself.....with himself ....not God...Reverend Gordon Lindsay taught.

and some seem to pray through and have no problems in prayer.

are you there Pastor Troy???? ANYBODY??? :morning: :morning:

branham1965 wrote:i think alot of people are hindered in prayer.guilt,condemnation,satanic attacks hinder prayers.

Peter spoke of prayers being hindered.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

i heard-on youtube- Sister Aimee Semple McPherson ministering to the Angelus Temple on Faith.

Sister spoke about approaching God with a trembling hand ...but never a withered one.

She was a remarkable woman.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

:angel: :angel: :angel:

This idea of confident and un-discouraged prayer is presented in the form of a parable in the story of the unrelenting widow. The clear message of the parable is that, when we have prayed and prayed with no apparent result, we are to go on praying harder. When the medicine fails, take more of it! I can easily see that such a thing sounds absurd, yet that is the point Christ makes.

Another indication of Christ's confidence about prayer is the lack of limitation on what He asked for. This is especially surprising to those of us who have come to the conclusion that, while it is appropriate to pray for peace of mind or freedom from temptation, it is not appropriate to pray for material things. Christ made no such distinctions. Far from limiting prayer to concern for spiritual welfare, He advised His followers to pray for daily bread, and what's more material than bread?

If anything is worth worrying about, it is worth praying about, and it's certainly dishonest to claim to be more high-minded than we really are. If I'm troubled by lack of money needed to support my loved ones, why not share these troubles with the Fathe? We are told to let our requests be made known unto God "in everything" (Philippians 4:6).

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

thanks Pastor Titus :angel:

titus213 wrote:

:angel: :angel: :angel:

This idea of confident and un-discouraged prayer is presented in the form of a parable in the story of the unrelenting widow. The clear message of the parable is that, when we have prayed and prayed with no apparent result, we are to go on praying harder. When the medicine fails, take more of it! I can easily see that such a thing sounds absurd, yet that is the point Christ makes.

Another indication of Christ's confidence about prayer is the lack of limitation on what He asked for. This is especially surprising to those of us who have come to the conclusion that, while it is appropriate to pray for peace of mind or freedom from temptation, it is not appropriate to pray for material things. Christ made no such distinctions. Far from limiting prayer to concern for spiritual welfare, He advised His followers to pray for daily bread, and what's more material than bread?

If anything is worth worrying about, it is worth praying about, and it's certainly dishonest to claim to be more high-minded than we really are. If I'm troubled by lack of money needed to support my loved ones, why not share these troubles with the Fathe? We are told to let our requests be made known unto God "in everything" (Philippians 4:6).

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

Sorry Billy, been busy with some things so time on the forum is often limited. Although I am familiar with Aimee Semple McPherson, I am not completely knowledgeable of her ministry. Gordon Lindsay, on the other hand, is someone whose books I spent much time reading, especially in the 80s. Much of what I learned on some the subjects I write about can be credited to him. Great man of God.

Jesus is our righteousness now. Self-righteousness will get us no where with God. However, when I have Christ's righteousness then I have no desire to sin willingly and I have every right to petition my Father and expect to receive if my request is inline with His promises.