Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe Disciples

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

The Disciples

Post by macca »

Do you know that Jesus did not pick His disciples ???

macca

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Re: The Disciples

Post by titus213 »

How so?

macca

Post by macca »

John 17:6;
I have manifested Your name to the men whom You HAVE GIVEN Me out of the world. They were yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept your word.

John. 5:17-23;
But Jesus answered them, My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.
Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these , that you may marvel.
For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will.
For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son.
that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

I believe this teaches that Jesus saw the disciples being chosen by the Father and the Father giving them to Jesus.
As in all that Jesus did He saw the Father doing the same before Jesus did and said anything.

macca

titus213

Post by titus213 »

:angel: :angel:

titus213

Post by titus213 »

I think the point is Jesus chose those the Father had chosen first; that's what He says, anyway, in John 17. It's not that Jesus didn't choose these men, but that they were the Father's in the first place, given by Him to the Son. "They were yours, You gave them to Me" (v.6) is pretty straightforward. I think Macca raises a good point, because when we read John 17 we tend to miss that connection and assume that because Jesus chose them they now belong to the Father. But that's not what Jesus says; it's just the opposite. In fact, the entire prayer emphasizes the Father as the one behind what Jesus has been up to, doing all the "giving" to His Son (v.2, 4, 6-8, 9, 11-12, 22, 24).

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

titus213 wrote:I think the point is Jesus chose those the Father had chosen first; that's what He says, anyway, in John 17. It's not that Jesus didn't choose these men, but that they were the Father's in the first place, given by Him to the Son. "They were yours, You gave them to Me" (v.6) is pretty straightforward. I think Macca raises a good point, because when we read John 17 we tend to miss that connection and assume that because Jesus chose them they now belong to the Father. But that's not what Jesus says; it's just the opposite. In fact, the entire prayer emphasizes the Father as the one behind what Jesus has been up to, doing all the "giving" to His Son (v.2, 4, 6-8, 9, 11-12, 22, 24).
:angel: Good point. Also:

Joh_5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

Jesus chose who He saw the Father choose. The Triune Godhead always work in conjunction with one another so much so that Jesus can be said to have done what the Father did.

royplumber
Stand Against the Wiles of the Devil

Post by royplumber »

macca wrote:Do you know that Jesus did not pick His disciples ???

macca

yep i agree which brings me same sort of simlar question macca hope you don't mind me adding this question.

Do you know that jesus did not do the healing !

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

macca
Thanks macca.

John 6:44, No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

That would include the disciples.

Someone asked,
"Do you know that Jesus did not do the healing !"

Jesus healed the sick by the power of the Holy Spirit after He was baptised. He tells us that we can do the same as He, even Greater works when filled by the Holy Spirit and if one has enough faith, without question or doubt!

John 14:12, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

royplumber
Stand Against the Wiles of the Devil

Post by royplumber »

Ironman wrote:

macca

"Do you know that Jesus did not do the healing !"

Jesus healed the sick by the power of the Holy Spirit after He was baptised. He tells us that we can do the same as He, even Greater works when filled by the Holy Spirit and if one has enough faith, without question or doubt!

."
For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,
28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.
29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,
30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.
32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

the father does it !

macca

Post by macca »

John. 1:47-49;
Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and said of him, behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile !
Nathanael said to Him, Where do you know me ? Jesus answered and said to him, before that Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you.
Nathanael answered and said to him, Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the King of Israel.

Here is an example of the Father, through the Holy Spirit anointing, showing Jesus beforehand what will happen.
This and other examples show how deeply immersed into the Father and the Holy Spirit Jesus actually was.

Jesus was constantly in prayer, communication with His Father on all matters and did nothing off His own bat, so to say.

Philippians. 2:5-11;

macca