Dake Bible Discussion BoardA Surprise for the Hyper-Grace People

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

A Surprise for the Hyper-Grace People

Post by titus213 »

Some of these folks throw around the name of Martin Luther in support of their teaching, suggesting that if you're against the Hyped-Grace (oops, hyper-grace) movement you're against the Reformation, and probably pretty soft on Roman Catholicism too.

I doubt that many of them who use Luther's name have read Luther's stuff. I suspect they just rely on what others have told them about him, which was based on what others had told THEM, which came from . . . well, you get it.

Here are some comments from Luther's sermon for June 7, 1545:
- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - --
You have often heard and are now hearing the complaint, which is universal in all the world, that when human beings hear the preaching of faith about the remission of sins, they embrace it, because it is a delightful preaching: God has sent His Son for you. But when it is said that you must adorn your faith to the praise of God, and sins are rebuked, no one wants to hear anything more. In towns everywhere, people distinguish among preachers. “This one is a fine preacher, who talks about grace and mercy; and what is even finer, he does not scold anyone or frighten people.” That is the way people commonly talk and act. If he does rebuke [sins], they undertake to have him removed.

Therefore, many [of these preachers] have returned to us. When you are scolded as a usurer, adulterer, or whatever kind of swine you are, or [it is said] that a peasant, a townsman, or a nobleman is godless, no one will suffer that. “But if I am a usurer, adulterer, swindler, and [the preacher] does not scold me, ah, what a pious man he is!”

[Are you] really righteous because I [do not] rebuke your vices? Then let the devil be [your] preacher. If I see peasants, townsmen, noblemen and do not chastise them, then I will go to the devil along with you. For [God says in] Ezekiel 3 [:18]: “I will require [their] blood at your [hands],” and they themselves will go to the devil. You shall give an account of yourself. I will not be responsible for that in the hour of death or of judgment. Rather, I shall declare what is contrary to the commandment, and then if you do not obey, you do it at your own peril.

This is the general way of things now. They will not tolerate preachers, except the ones who teach what they want to hear. Christ did not die so that you should be arrogant, but so that you might be freed from sins, etc.—not so that we might remain in them and continue to sin. We would do that well enough without His dying. He has not freed me so that I might do whatever I want, as I did before knowing Christ. No, but rather hear the Word and live according to it. Faith and works must be preached and sins chastised. Whoever does not want to hear can go away and give account [for himself].

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: A Surprise for the Hyper-Grace People

Post by branham1965 »

AWESOME POST PASTOR TITUS.
you know your stuff.:angel: :angel: :angel:

Luther knew his stuff.and he risked his life to stand up to the Papacy.

we MUST live free from sin.i have fought with this and 101 things when backslidden bound by the devil and bending my elbow. +sorry
but that is over thanks to Jesus and the Blood.Praise God.

now i agree with my mate Haz...and my Pastor taught it this way.we live right.and cleanse ourselves from things of the day.

i welcome thoughts.

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

Good Stuff Pastor Titus :angel:

I am not a Luther fan and people's criticism that our preaching moves us away from the REformation and makes us sympathetic to Catholicism only makes me laugh. I would rather move away from the so-called Reformation and a lot of the Calvinistic trash that came from that than to move away from the Bible. Even Luther's own book, "The Bondage of the Will" is a disgusting promotion of hyper-sovereignty teachings.

However, I love what Luther says here. I will probably share this for the sake of the big hyper-grace folks who are Luther fans.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

What does he believe on sovereignty??
he did oppose the Papacy.which took great courage.

victoryword wrote:Good Stuff Pastor Titus :angel:

I am not a Luther fan and people's criticism that our preaching moves us away from the REformation and makes us sympathetic to Catholicism only makes me laugh. I would rather move away from the so-called Reformation and a lot of the Calvinistic trash that came from that than to move away from the Bible. Even Luther's own book, "The Bondage of the Will" is a disgusting promotion of hyper-sovereignty teachings.

However, I love what Luther says here. I will probably share this for the sake of the big hyper-grace folks who are Luther fans.

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

branham1965 wrote:What does he believe on sovereignty??
he did oppose the Papacy.which took great courage.
He basically taught the same stuff that John Calvin would systematize in his "Institutes". He taught against free-will and freedom of choice. God's will overrides everything. However, unlike his later admirer, John Calvin, he was quite inconsistent. Some of Luther's writings make him appear "Calvinistic" and then another makes him seem more "Arminian" or "Wesleyan" (though he died long before these men were born).

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

:angel:
victoryword wrote:Good Stuff Pastor Titus :angel: