Dake Bible Discussion BoardJohn 9 - The Man Born Blind

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Re: John 9 - The Man Born Blind

Post by titus213 »

Well, "most accurate" can be tough to pin down; word-for-word translations are not always most accurate in English, but meaning-for-meaning translations can also lose something. I usually tell people to have 1 of each type so they can compare.

That said, I think the best word-for-word are: King James / New King James and New American Standard / English Standard Version.
I think the best meaning-for-meaning are: God's Word Translation and New Living Translation.

It’s important to recognize that no translation is perfect; there are nuances to the languages of the Bible that are very difficult to bring across in English. But nothing has been lost in terms of the meaning of the words in translations which have been done responsibly.

What do I mean by “translations which have been done responsibly”? I think what matters most is that any translation we use should be prepared by dedicated Christian scholars who are honestly trying to give an accurate presentation, in modern English, of the text found in the older manuscripts of the Bible, along with occasional notes pointing out differences in late manuscripts.

The reason why translation work should be done only by Bible-believing scholars is because unbelieving scholars tend to bring their naturalistic presuppositions to the task, which makes it difficult for them to accept what the biblical text says. The result is that they tend to avoid many ideas that are clearly taught in the original language because those ideas are in conflict with their preconceptions. I could give you many examples of Bible translations done by highly educated unbelievers who have done just that at important points, especially in sections of the Old Testament that speak of the coming Messiah.

Happily, several of our modern translations have been done by dedicated Christian men and women, so they meet those requirements I’ve suggested. I personally knew some of the translators who worked on the New American Standard Bible, the New International Version, the New King James Bible, the New Living Translation, the God's Word Translation, the English Standard Version, and the Holman Christian Standard Bible. I can vouch for their consecration to Christ as well as their educational qualifications to do such work.

There are a few other English translations that also measure up, in my opinion, so we have the luxury of picking and choosing the one(s) that are accurate and also make the meaning of the Bible clear to us so that we can understand it and apply it to our lives. We should be especially grateful for having so many choices, when in some parts of the world they don’t even have one choice!
branham1965 wrote:PASTOR TITUS :angel: :Fade-color :turn-l:

may i ask you please what English versions do you feel are the most accurate???

thank you .

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

thank you Pastor Titus.

i have all the translations you mentioned except the God's Word Translation.

i like the NASB.

is the new NIV much different than the 1984 edition????

thank you again.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

Hi there . . . yes, the new NIV is somewhat different. Most people notice the change to "brothers and sisters" in places where the Greek says "brothers" but is addressed to both men and women, and people get upset about that. But it is actually more correct to use "brothers and sisters" in English because that's what it means in Greek when it is used in a context that includes women. It would be like when a preacher says to his congregation "I tell you, brethren, we need to pray" -- he isn't only talking to the men in the congregation, but the women as well. The old English word 'brethren' was understood to include both men and women. The New Living Translation had already used "brothers and sisters" so the NIV wasn't the first conservative translation to do so.

There are some other differences in the new NIV, as well. One big one is where Paul writes about "the flesh". In the 1984 edition that is nearly always translated as "the sinful nature". In the new edition they went back to using "the flesh", which is an improvement.

All in all I think the new NIV is a better translation than the 1984 edition.
branham1965 wrote:thank you Pastor Titus.

i have all the translations you mentioned except the God's Word Translation.

i like the NASB.

is the new NIV much different than the 1984 edition????

thank you again.

royplumber
Stand Against the Wiles of the Devil

Post by royplumber »

i was thinking about this topic his mother and farther did not sin but his grand parents could of sinned 3rd and fourth generation sometimes disease skips
a generation.

regards roy

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Post by macca »

HALALUJAH that's all I can add

+thumbsUp

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Post by macca »

just a side note, not to take away from what Titus has stated :angel:

I have been astounded at Christians that believe God the Father, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are behind birth defects, still births, sickness that take children and mothers from families,,, etc etc

The bible clearly states that God made Adam and Eve, than created life in them from Himself.
Adam and Eve are God's creation and He told them to create their own offspring so that all from Adam are of mankind's creation not God's

Adam's sin has passed on down his line and all the consequences of sin in man's life

That's why we need a saviour and healer, a new Father and a new home,,, not this earth

macca

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

+thumbsUp
macca wrote:just a side note, not to take away from what Titus has stated :angel:

I have been astounded at Christians that believe God the Father, Jesus and The Holy Spirit are behind birth defects, still births, sickness that take children and mothers from families,,, etc etc

The bible clearly states that God made Adam and Eve, than created life in them from Himself.
Adam and Eve are God's creation and He told them to create their own offspring so that all from Adam are of mankind's creation not God's

Adam's sin has passed on down his line and all the consequences of sin in man's life

That's why we need a saviour and healer, a new Father and a new home,,, not this earth

macca

titus213

Post by titus213 »

royplumber wrote:i was thinking about this topic his mother and farther did not sin but his grand parents could of sinned 3rd and fourth generation sometimes disease skips
a generation.

regards roy
Nope. Jesus is specifically challenging the prevalent Jewish viewpoint which would say essentially what you have just said. Jesus tries to get the whole mindset of "Who's to blame" changed. The real question should focus on "What can God do?"

We so often fall into that mode of thinking that when calamity comes it's a direct retribution from God. We even have books like The Harbinger being circulated by Messianic Jews pulling us back into that thinking. God devoted a whole book of the Bible -- Job -- to enlighten us about human suffering and the role of Satan as the author of it, and God as the deliverer from it when called upon.

We so easily feel "this hardship or this difficulty or this painful experience is coming to me as God's judgment upon me because of some wrongdoing". If that way of thinking were so, I wouldn't be here. If God brought that kind of a direct cause/effect judgment upon people, then God would have to be fair in his justice system. And thus, every person who did the same kind of a deed would have to receive the same kind of a judgment for it. There is not that cause and effect type of judgment at the present time. There will be in the future, and God will be just when he judges.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

titus213 wrote:

We so easily feel "this hardship or this difficulty or this painful experience is coming to me as God's judgment upon me because of some wrongdoing"..
For years I lived the very falsehood above in my life, UNTIL I got a knowledge of the truth and became free. It was what I was taught and I don't think for one minute those in my past knew they were teaching this error.

I remember going to God time and time again and asking Him to help and nothing ever happening. I never once realized that God had already done all He was concerning me and it was up to me. I have God given dominion over my life and wasn't exercising it. I had heard the blame God thing for so long it was embedded into my spirit. I was much like Job blaming God for things that did not come from Him.

One day I cleaned the slate and I changed the direction of the rudder (tongue) and spoke life to my life believing the words I said would do what God said they would and I am living the results and no longer blame God for the works of the evil one. I speak prosperity, health, and eternal life to my spirit. Many have a spiritual heart attack because of their words. I know the power of God's word spoken through the human tongue carries divine energy.

It is a principle of Seed/Word. I now say what God said about me. I think many have yet to comprehend the dominion and power that we have been given over everything here and in the spiritual realms!

Word up!

royplumber
Stand Against the Wiles of the Devil

Post by royplumber »

titus213 wrote:
royplumber wrote:i was thinking about this topic his mother and farther did not sin but his grand parents could of sinned 3rd and fourth generation sometimes disease skips
a generation.

regards roy
Nope. Jesus is specifically challenging the prevalent Jewish viewpoint which would say essentially what you have just said. Jesus tries to get the whole mindset of "Who's to blame" changed. The real question should focus on "What can God do?"

We so often fall into that mode of thinking that when calamity comes it's a direct retribution from God. We even have books like The Harbinger being circulated by Messianic Jews pulling us back into that thinking. God devoted a whole book of the Bible -- Job -- to enlighten us about human suffering and the role of Satan as the author of it, and God as the deliverer from it when called upon.

We so easily feel "this hardship or this difficulty or this painful experience is coming to me as God's judgment upon me because of some wrongdoing". If that way of thinking were so, I wouldn't be here. If God brought that kind of a direct cause/effect judgment upon people, then God would have to be fair in his justice system. And thus, every person who did the same kind of a deed would have to receive the same kind of a judgment for it. There is not that cause and effect type of judgment at the present time. There will be in the future, and God will be just when he judges.

you got to know who to blame and who to glorify i don't blame god for this problem i believe it that other kingdom that attacked this man
I don't think the jews got everything wrong i just believe they use the letter of the law rather than the spirit 2 corinth 3:6