Dake Bible Discussion BoardAn Open Theism Timeline

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

An Open Theism Timeline

Post by titus213 »

I just came across this timeline of influential people and writings in support of what nowadays is called "open theism" (the view that when it comes to the decisions we make, the future is 'open' for God so we can make truly free decisions, rather than predetermined by his eternal decree in advance). It's interesting to see Adam Clarke (who wrote the Commentary by his name and discusses this at Acts 2:47), Wesley, and some of the others mentioned. I am going to drop a note to the fellow who put this together, suggesting he include Rev. Dake.

Here is the link: http://goo.gl/d1UUFS

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: An Open Theism Timeline

Post by branham1965 »

Howdy Pastor Titus,

the last thing i am is a Bible scholar.

i believe as Reverend Dake did that ALL may come to the Lord Jesus Christ.NONE are predestined to Hell.

The Tears of Calvary :agrue: were shed for every man,woman..boy or girl.Jesus is the true light that lighteth cfJohn1:9 everyone who comes into this world outside of Eden.no one is left out.

as i heard Dr.Lester Sumrall who was Reverend Dake's good friend +jesussign last night say that many people are just bound and determined to go to hell.and nothing will stop them.

the Body of Christ is required to Preach the Gospel to every creature.he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved......he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

:angel: :angel: :angel:
branham1965 wrote:Howdy Pastor Titus,

i believe as Reverend Dake did that ALL may come to the Lord Jesus Christ.NONE are predestined to Hell.

The Tears of Calvary :agrue: were shed for every man,woman..boy or girl.Jesus is the true light that lighteth cfJohn1:9 everyone who comes into this world outside of Eden.no one is left out.

as i heard Dr.Lester Sumrall who was Reverend Dake's good friend +jesussign last night say that many people are just bound and determined to go to hell.and nothing will stop them.

the Body of Christ is required to Preach the Gospel to every creature.he that believeth and is baptized shall be saved......he that believeth not shall be damned.Mark 16.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

thank you so very much Pastor Titus.
titus213 wrote::angel: :angel: :angel:
branham1965 wrote:Howdy Pastor Titus,

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

titus213 wrote:I just came across this timeline of influential people and writings in support of what nowadays is called "open theism" (the view that when it comes to the decisions we make, the future is 'open' for God so we can make truly free decisions, rather than predetermined by his eternal decree in advance). It's interesting to see Adam Clarke (who wrote the Commentary by his name and discusses this at Acts 2:47), Wesley, and some of the others mentioned. I am going to drop a note to the fellow who put this together, suggesting he include Rev. Dake.

Excellent find and right on time as I have several book projects one of them being titled, "Neither Came it into My Mind" in which I prove (from the Scriptures) that if God is in some eternal now and He sees the past, present, and future simultaneously then He is fully culpable for the mess that the world is in right now.

One caveat though is that Scribd wants you to pay a monthly fee (or a one time fee of $8 smackeroonies) in order to download the timeline. Instead go here and download the .png for free:

http://opentheism.info/wp-content/uploa ... -2013-.png

For a text version of the timeline go here:

http://theopenview.org/historical-research/

I did tell Greg Boyd about Dake's contribution to this teaching many years ago when he used to have an open forum like this one. He acknowledged Dake as a true recognized scholar though he noted what he felt were "dispensational pecularities" in Dake's teaching. Some of the Open Theists also have some strange ideas that I cannot fully get with (extreme pacifism being one of several).

titus213

Post by titus213 »

Thanks for the other links . . . I did see a mention of Dake by Greg Boyd as a "turn of the century" supporter of open theism. You're right that many (most?) open theists have little use for dispensational teaching and lately have been gravitating to pacifism (I think due to Anabaptist/Mennonite influence) as well as annihilationism or universalism. Many are also inclusivists when it comes to the lost. Of course, none of those things square with Dake's views at all.
victoryword wrote:
titus213 wrote:I just came across this timeline of influential people and writings in support of what nowadays is called "open theism" (the view that when it comes to the decisions we make, the future is 'open' for God so we can make truly free decisions, rather than predetermined by his eternal decree in advance). It's interesting to see Adam Clarke (who wrote the Commentary by his name and discusses this at Acts 2:47), Wesley, and some of the others mentioned. I am going to drop a note to the fellow who put this together, suggesting he include Rev. Dake.

Excellent find and right on time as I have several book projects one of them being titled, "Neither Came it into My Mind" in which I prove (from the Scriptures) that if God is in some eternal now and He sees the past, present, and future simultaneously then He is fully culpable for the mess that the world is in right now.

One caveat though is that Scribd wants you to pay a monthly fee (or a one time fee of $8 smackeroonies) in order to download the timeline. Instead go here and download the .png for free:

http://opentheism.info/wp-content/uploa ... -2013-.png

For a text version of the timeline go here:

http://theopenview.org/historical-research/

I did tell Greg Boyd about Dake's contribution to this teaching many years ago when he used to have an open forum like this one. He acknowledged Dake as a true recognized scholar though he noted what he felt were "dispensational pecularities" in Dake's teaching. Some of the Open Theists also have some strange ideas that I cannot fully get with (extreme pacifism being one of several).

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

Dake was the first that I ever heard (or rather "read") teach this. I began reading GPFM back in 1992 but I rejected it back then (just thought that Dake had went too far). It was reading books by Boyd and others (and much, much prayer) that convinced me that it was a Biblical truth. Sadly, as you point out Titus, Boyd and others have done away witha literal hell. However, I did not know that any of them embrace the universalism false teaching. How sad. I had heard of "inclusivism" but never quite understood it (nor really cared to).

I guess we should be glad that we can point to Dake as a pioneer of this teaching in our generation without the baggage given to us by the more modern open theists.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

:angel: :angel: :angel:
I first heard the open theism view explained by one of my profs in seminary, who was a leading proponent of it later -- Clark Pinnock. It wasn't yet called open theism in 1971, but he was certainly teaching it as a possibility.

One of the things I really appreciate about Dake is his insistence on treating all the teachings of the Bible fairly and on the same basis: interpret literally if at all possible; when the language is figurative, still look for the literal truth it conveys. This is what led him to the 'open' view of God's omniscience; I think failure to follow that principle has led Greg Boyd and others down the wrong path on the doctrine of hell, eternal punishment, and the lostness of the lost. I don't always agree with Dake on whether the language is literal or figurative in some cases, but I admire the fact that he tries to be very consistent in applying that principle.
victoryword wrote:Dake was the first that I ever heard (or rather "read") teach this. I began reading GPFM back in 1992 but I rejected it back then (just thought that Dake had went too far). It was reading books by Boyd and others (and much, much prayer) that convinced me that it was a Biblical truth. Sadly, as you point out Titus, Boyd and others have done away witha literal hell. However, I did not know that any of them embrace the universalism false teaching. How sad. I had heard of "inclusivism" but never quite understood it (nor really cared to).

I guess we should be glad that we can point to Dake as a pioneer of this teaching in our generation without the baggage given to us by the more modern open theists.