Dake Bible Discussion BoardKeep or not keep Sabbath?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Re: Keep or not keep Sabbath?

Post by titus213 »

It's not quite that involved. We don't keep the Sabbath, as Christians, because the Sabbath never was for Christians. It was for Israel only, as a sign between them and God (Exodus 31:12-18). It was a way of remembering their release from bondage in Egypt. The Sabbath also was never for Adam and Eve. There is no record of any Sabbath requirement for man until 2500+ years after Adam and Eve. The only one who rested on the 7th day in Genesis (in the sense of having completed his work) was God himself.
stand wrote:Thanks guys.
Just add a bit of my understanding. Sabbath was not obeyed by Adam and Eve before sins for they did not work to have food and daily necessities as these were supplied by God automatically. God did rest on the seventh day, but He should also be resting on the eighth if Adam did not sin on the seventh day? Through Jesus we are back to square one like the state of Adam before sinned. Christ is our real Sabbath that we do not have to labour to get food, which is the curse as a result of Adam's sin, which Jesus removed on the cross. Also, priest works on Sabbath. We are the modern church priest and as long as we work for Jesus we are in His a Sabbath. We are commanded to deny ourselves and carry our crosses. That we are not ourselves but Jesus living inside us. The real Sabbath is to have rest and peace in Christ. Based on the above, a real Christian in Christ is always in Sabbath and does not require to celebrate the ceremonial Sabbath which is only a shadow of Christ.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

titus213 wrote:It's not quite that involved. We don't keep the Sabbath, as Christians, because the Sabbath never was for Christians. It was for Israel only, as a sign between them and God (Exodus 31:12-18). It was a way of remembering their release from bondage in Egypt. The Sabbath also was never for Adam and Eve. There is no record of any Sabbath requirement for man until 2500+ years after Adam and Eve. The only one who rested on the 7th day in Genesis (in the sense of having completed his work) was God himself.
stand wrote:Thanks guys.
Just add a bit of my understanding. Sabbath was not obeyed by Adam and Eve before sins for they did not work to have food and daily necessities as these were supplied by God automatically. God did rest on the seventh day, but He should also be resting on the eighth if Adam did not sin on the seventh day? Through Jesus we are back to square one like the state of Adam before sinned. Christ is our real Sabbath that we do not have to labour to get food, which is the curse as a result of Adam's sin, which Jesus removed on the cross. Also, priest works on Sabbath. We are the modern church priest and as long as we work for Jesus we are in His a Sabbath. We are commanded to deny ourselves and carry our crosses. That we are not ourselves but Jesus living inside us. The real Sabbath is to have rest and peace in Christ. Based on the above, a real Christian in Christ is always in Sabbath and does not require to celebrate the ceremonial Sabbath which is only a shadow of Christ.
I think of it like it was their 4th of July every week!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

titus213

Post by titus213 »

bibleman wrote:
I think of it like it was their 4th of July every week!
:angel:

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Reverend Dake :smilecolros: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: exposits on this in his notes.

stand
John

Post by stand »

Heb4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Men have to work hard for daily necessities is because of the curse on Adam's sin. In Christ we are released from the curse, but then we have to have faith. Stop working to get own daily necessities, but to search for God's kingdom and righteousness first. And work for Jesus only. Everyday is a Sabbath in Christ.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

What is the "rest to the people of God" that remains?

It isn't the Sabbath of Genesis -- that was God who rested, not man
It isn't the Sabbath of Exodus 20 -- that was for the Jewish people

So yes, it is the rest we find in Christ as believers, as v.3 says. It's the rest Jesus promised when he said "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matt 11.28). It is God's eternal rest, and has nothing to do with an earthly sabbath day. This eternal rest is one people have to "labor to enter" and one which we can "come short" of. Neither of those facts describe an earthly sabbath day, but the rest in the life to come.
stand wrote:Heb4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Men have to work hard for daily necessities is because of the curse on Adam's sin. In Christ we are released from the curse, but then we have to have faith. Stop working to get own daily necessities, but to search for God's kingdom and righteousness first. And work for Jesus only. Everyday is a Sabbath in Christ.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Pastor,
didn't the early Christians meet on Sunday the first day of the week in honor of the Resurrection.
titus213 wrote:What is the "rest to the people of God" that remains?

So yes, it is the rest we find in Christ as believers, as v.3 says. It's the rest Jesus promised when he said "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matt 11.28). It is God's eternal rest, and has nothing to do with an earthly sabbath day. This eternal rest is one people have to "labor to enter" and one which we can "come short" of. Neither of those facts describe an earthly sabbath day, but the rest in the life to come.
stand wrote:Heb4:8 For if Joshua had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. 10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. 11 Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

Yes, that's right . . . but even then they did it as a matter of devotion to their risen Lord, and not as a command from God to gather on Sundays only. Christians are not obligated to observe any particular day of the week, as the Jews were under the Law.
branham1965 wrote:Pastor,
didn't the early Christians meet on Sunday the first day of the week in honor of the Resurrection.
titus213 wrote:What is the "rest to the people of God" that remains?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

i agree with you Pastor.

in some Churches it has been made a law.i know one i was in :robot: they took the Lord's Supper ONLY on every Sunday.and felt one was damned to hell if one did not. :agrue:

stand
John

Post by stand »

Mat11:28  Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Although this rest is not the same word of Sabbath, this shows also Jesus is the rest for us. But then the requirement is also that we need to have the same yoke as Jesus. Meaning we have to do the work of God, walking closely with Jesus to have the true rest.