Dake Bible Discussion BoardKeep or not keep Sabbath?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
stand
John

Keep or not keep Sabbath?

Post by stand »

I make a search here, but could not find any reference about keeping Sabbath for Christians. I think Dake had not taught mich on this subject also. Keeping Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments. We are not under the law, but we still observe the other nine commandments. But the fact is no one Christian nowadays observe Sabbath as written in the Old Testament. Are we suppose to do that? If not? What is the reason behind?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Keep or not keep Sabbath?

Post by branham1965 »

Reverend teaches a great deal on this in his Bible.

stand wrote:I make a search here, but could not find any reference about keeping Sabbath for Christians. I think Dake had not taught mich on this subject also. Keeping Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments. We are not under the law, but we still observe the other nine commandments. But the fact is no one Christian nowadays observe Sabbath as written in the Old Testament. Are we suppose to do that? If not? What is the reason behind?

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

Dake taught a great deal about the Sabbath day, and why it was only for Israel and never intended for the church. The reason Christians do follow 9 of the commandments which were included in the 10 Commandments is because they were repeated in the New Testament and applied to believers. We do not observe those Commandments because they were part of the law of Moses. The reason Christians should not observe the Sabbath day commandment is because it was never repeated in the New Testament for us. We are specifically told that it is a non-issue.

Here is just a small portion of what Reverend Dake has to say in his Bible:

Twenty-two Facts about Sabbaths
The words "sabbath" and "seventh" do not come from the same word. The Hebrew word for "sabbath" is shabbath (H7676), intermission or cessation from work. It is from the verb shabath (H7673), "to repose, desist from exertion; rest." Such rest does not have to be on the seventh day. It is the cessation of work that makes it the sabbath, not the day. Sabbaths have been observed on different days, for different lengths of time: Sabbaths on Different Days: On the first day (Lev. 23:39) On the seventh day (Ex. 20:10) On the eighth day (Lev. 23:39)
Sabbaths of Different Lengths: One day long (Ex. 16:23-29) Two days long (Lev. 23:6-8,15-22) One year long (Lev. 25:4) Seventy years long (2Chr. 36:21) Eternity long (Heb. 4:9)
The seventh-day sabbaths of Israel were changing sabbaths, being observed on two different days each year because of an additional sabbath at Pentecost. If the fifteenth day of Abib (when Israel left Egypt), which was on the sabbath, was Saturday, then the seventh-day sabbath would fall on Saturday for seven weeks or forty-nine days. The fiftieth day, Sunday, would be Pentecost. The next seventh-day sabbath after Pentecost would then fall on Sunday, and so on until Pentecost of the following year which would change the seventh-day sabbath again. Thus, there was no such thing as the sabbath always being on Saturday throughout the year, or perpetually. Sabbaths were to be a delight instead of a burden and would have been had they been observed lawfully, and the true nature of rest and worship maintained (Isa. 58:13). Sabbaths were for Israel only (Ex. 16:29; 31:14; Ezek. 20:12). Gentiles who wished to become a part of the nation of Israel could do so by meeting certain requirements, after which the sabbath laws applied to them (Ex. 12:49; Num. 15:16). Sabbaths were to be observed holy (Ex. 16:23; 20:8; 35:2; Isa. 58:13; Jer. 17:21-27). Sabbaths were to be observed unto God (Ex. 16:25). Sabbaths were from the Lord (Ex. 20:10; 35:2; Lev. 23:3; Dt. 5:14). They were to be kept (Ex. 31:14) No work was to be done on sabbaths (Ex. 20:8-11; 31:15; 35:3; Num. 15:32; Jer. 17:21-27). The penalty for breaking this law was death (Num. 15:30-36). Sabbaths were to be observed as a time of rest (Ex. 35:2; Lev. 16:31; 23:3,32). They were to be sanctified or set apart by Israel (Dt. 5:12). Sabbaths were commanded (Ex. 20:8-11; Dt. 5:15). To Israel the seventh-day sabbath was a memorial of deliverance from slavery under Pharaoh (Dt. 5:15), not a commemoration of God's rest upon completing His work. Man's rest could not have been the same day that God rested, because man was only created the day before God's sabbath. He had worked only one day, and six days are required before a sabbath (Ex. 20:8-11). It would be as meaningless for the church to observe the Jewish sabbath commemorating deliverance from Egypt as it would for England to observe the Fourth of July with Americans! Sabbaths are to be observed in the Millennium and New Earth, so that all flesh can come before God to worship (Isa. 66:22-24; Ezek. 44:24; 45:17; 46:3). Scripture does not reveal what particular day will be observed in the future, but if it is worldwide it will be at different times throughout the earth because time varies as much as a full day around the globe. It might be local in fulfillment with representatives sent to Jerusalem. That universal gatherings to worship are to be representative is proved in Zech. 14:16-21. It is lawful to do good things on sabbaths (Mt. 12:2,12; Mk. 2:27-28; 3:4; Lk. 6:9). Man was not made for sabbaths, but they were made for him (Mt. 12:8; Mk. 2:27-28; Lk. 6:5); he is free, therefore, to do what is best for him on rest days. Man was not initially required to observe the seventh day which God rested on and sanctified. God Himself did not continue observing a rest day because sin was committed almost immediately and He began the work of redemption (Gen. 3:8-21) which still requires His time every day of the week. Sinners can be saved any time they choose to come to God. It was 2,513 years after God's seventh-day sabbath when Israel was commanded to observe any particular day (Ex. 16:23-29; 20:8-11). Jews proved the principle of doing good and performing essential duties on sabbaths by: Offering sacrifices (Num. 28:9-10; 1Chr. 9:32) Caring for animals (Mt. 12:11; Mk. 2:27; Lk. 13:15; 14:5) Circumcising (Jn. 7:22-23) /Other essential work (Mt. 12:5)
Sabbaths were typical of eternal rest (Col. 2:14-17; Heb. 4:1-11; 10:1). The Jewish sabbaths were abolished with the Mosaic law. See note, Acts 15:24; Eighty-five Old Covenant and New Covenant Contrasts. Keeping the law and the sabbath was not required by the apostles (Acts 15:5-29; Rom. 14:5-6; Gal. 4:9-11; Col. 2:14-17).

Twenty-four Reasons Why Christians Observe the First Day:
Sabbaths in the law of Moses have been abolished. The new covenant does not command any particular day to be observed by Christians (Rom. 14:5-6; Gal. 4:9-11). Christians are free to choose their own day of rest (Rom. 14:5-6). They are commanded not to permit any man to judge them regarding a sabbath (Col. 2:14-17). Rigid observance of days is rebuked by Paul (Gal. 4:9-11). Sabbaths are not named as requirements of the gospel (Acts 15:1-29). Real and eternal rest is in Christ, not in a day (Mt. 11:28-29; Heb. 4). The fourth commandment (Ex. 20:8-11) was left out of the new covenant (note, Acts 15:24). The Jewish sabbath commemorated deliverance from Egyptian bondage in which Christians had no part (Dt. 5:15). Going under the law to observe a sabbath would obligate one to keep the whole law of Moses (Gal. 3:10-14; 5:3,9-11; Jas. 2:10). Rest and worship on Sunday serves the same purpose as on Saturday. Early Christians kept the first day of the week (Jn. 20:1,19,26-29; Acts 20:6-12; 1Cor. 16:1-2). The Lord completed His redemptive work and His victory over death, hell, and the grave on Sunday, the first day. Christ's special manifestations to His disciples after the resurrection were on the first day of the week (Mt. 28; Mk. 16; Lk. 23:1-56-24:1-53; Jn. 20:19,26). After the resurrection, no recognition was given by Christ or any apostle to the old Jewish seventh-day sabbath. The outpouring of the Holy Spirit was on the first day of the week, the day after seven Jewish sabbaths (Acts. 2:1). After Christ's ascension, the first sermon was preached on the first day, and the first conversions (about 3,000) took place on the first day (Acts 2:1-42). The lack of warning by Christ or the apostles regarding it being sinful or "the mark of the beast" (as some teach) to observe the first day of the week shows it was acceptable as a day of rest and worship. Typology of the old covenant makes the first day of the week prominent. The feasts of firstfruits and Pentecost were observed on the first day, as well as the feasts of unleavened bread and tabernacles (Lev. 23:8-14,34-39). God honored the first day by giving the law on that day (Ex. 19:1, 3,11; Lev. 23:5-6 with Ex. 12:2-18). God honored many first days of the week in Israel (2Chr. 7:10; 29:17; Ezra 3:6; Neh. 8:14-18; etc.). God honored the first day again by giving the book of Revelation on that day (Rev. 1:10, notes; Acts 20:7, note). The new covenant frees from such bondages of the old covenant as the death penalty for cooking, making fires, and performing other duties on a sabbath (Ex. 16:23; 20:8-10; 31:15; 35:2-5; Lev. 23:3; Num. 15:32). The New Testament never records a distinctive gathering of Christians on the Jewish sabbath. On the contrary, Christians gathered on Sunday, the first day of the week, which was called "the Lord's day" (Rev. 1:10; Jn. 20:1,19; note, Acts 20:7; 1Cor. 16:2). See Sunday Is the Christian Sabbath

titus213

Post by titus213 »

branham1965 wrote:Reverend teaches a great deal on this in his Bible.
:angel: :angel:
stand wrote:I make a search here, but could not find any reference about keeping Sabbath for Christians. I think Dake had not taught mich on this subject also. Keeping Sabbath is one of the Ten Commandments. We are not under the law, but we still observe the other nine commandments. But the fact is no one Christian nowadays observe Sabbath as written in the Old Testament. Are we suppose to do that? If not? What is the reason behind?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

thank you titus :Fade-color

titus213 wrote:

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

branham1965 wrote:thank you titus :Fade-color

titus213 wrote:
This says it all for me,

Colossians 2:16, Let no man therefore judge you in meat,6 or in drink, or in respect7 of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

titus213

Post by titus213 »

Ironman wrote:

titus213 wrote:
This says it all for me,

Colossians 2:16, Let no man therefore judge you in meat,6 or in drink, or in respect7 of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
:angel:
yessiree, and as the next verse says, such things were only a shadow of what was coming. And who was casting the shadow? Christ! Who cares about the shadow when the person himself shows up?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

titus213 wrote:
Ironman wrote:

titus213 wrote:
This says it all for me,

:angel:
yessiree, and as the next verse says, such things were only a shadow of what was coming. And who was casting the shadow? Christ! Who cares about the shadow when the person himself shows up?
Not I. :angel:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

this has been grappled with i suppose for years.i know the 7th Day Adventist are very adamant about it.

Reverend Dake covers it well. +usaWavy +godbless
Ironman wrote:

titus213 wrote:
This says it all for me,

stand
John

Post by stand »

Thanks guys.
Just add a bit of my understanding. Sabbath was not obeyed by Adam and Eve before sins for they did not work to have food and daily necessities as these were supplied by God automatically. God did rest on the seventh day, but He should also be resting on the eighth if Adam did not sin on the seventh day? Through Jesus we are back to square one like the state of Adam before sinned. Christ is our real Sabbath that we do not have to labour to get food, which is the curse as a result of Adam's sin, which Jesus removed on the cross. Also, priest works on Sabbath. We are the modern church priest and as long as we work for Jesus we are in His a Sabbath. We are commanded to deny ourselves and carry our crosses. That we are not ourselves but Jesus living inside us. The real Sabbath is to have rest and peace in Christ. Based on the above, a real Christian in Christ is always in Sabbath and does not require to celebrate the ceremonial Sabbath which is only a shadow of Christ.