Dake Bible Discussion BoardUnreaping the Bad Seeds We Have Sown

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Re: Unreaping the Bad Seeds We Have Sown

Post by victoryword »

LOL, I feel like I do when I am debating divine healing with anti-wofers and they bring up Paul's thorn, Timothy's wine for his stomach, Trophimus being left sick at Miletum, etc. Pretty disappointing the responses (and Macca I'm a little surprised at you). Anyway, no time for me to get into a full defense of my DEVOTIONAL right now (never thought a "devotional" would garner so much controversy). However, I have one question based on the following passage:
  • And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. (Matt. 26:51-52)
Does anyone recall in history if Peter was ever slain by the sword?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Notice the Scripture tells us we reap in "due season."

I plant a garden of corn this year.
Corn comes up in a few months.
We harvest the corn crop.

Next year I do not plant a garden of corn, I plant green beans.
No corn comes up - green beans do.
We harvest the green beans.

Just because we sow a corn crop does not mean we will reap it over and over again until the day we die! No it has a season.

We can plant a new crop and get a new result!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

victoryword

Post by victoryword »

Thanx Bibleman. Very good insight. I am somewhat perplexed (and admittedly a little saddened) by the "Fatal Farmers" here. I always looked at Paul's statement (and the many other Bible statements on sowing and reaping) as statements of HOPE and not HOPELESSNESS, which seemed to have been the consensus. Anyway, thank you for your wisdom and insight into this discussion.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

bibleman wrote:Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

Just because we sow a corn crop does not mean we will reap it over and over again until the day we die! No it has a season.

No one denies your last statement. But it will be the new crop that gets the new result.

However, your analogy isn't quite right. Perhaps unlike corn which may have a "season", consequences do not always have a mere season, but can indeed continue in our lives and the lives of others, even for a lifetime. The apostle Paul's entire service for Christ was marked by the sufferings he endured in beatings, prison, etc. as an ongoing consequence of his previous life persecuting Christians (Acts 9:16). The history of David's family following his sins with Bathsheba, is clearly and tragically labeled as "David's Reapings" in the Dake Bible (2 Sam 12:15-19:8), and correctly so.

The devotional that I question goes a few steps beyond your analogy: it claims that you can go back after you have planted your corn and expect God to either bring up green beans instead, or expect him to let you dig up your corn and pretend you never planted it to begin with. The devotional's emphasis is on supposedly "unreaping" what you have sown. As I said previously, an unbiblical concept. "Whatever you plant is what you'll harvest" is the scriptural principle.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

titus213 wrote:
bibleman wrote:Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

No one denies your last statement. But it will be the new crop that gets the new result.

However, your analogy isn't quite right. Perhaps unlike corn which may have a "season", consequences do not always have a mere season, but can indeed continue in our lives and the lives of others, even for a lifetime. The apostle Paul's entire service for Christ was marked by the sufferings he endured in beatings, prison, etc. as an ongoing consequence of his previous life persecuting Christians (Acts 9:16). The history of David's family following his sins with Bathsheba, is clearly and tragically labeled as "David's Reapings" in the Dake Bible (2 Sam 12:15-19:8), and correctly so.

The devotional that I question goes a few steps beyond your analogy: it claims that you can go back after you have planted your corn and expect God to either bring up green beans instead, or expect him to let you dig up your corn and pretend you never planted it to begin with. The devotional's emphasis is on supposedly "unreaping" what you have sown. As I said previously, an unbiblical concept. "Whatever you plant is what you'll harvest" is the scriptural principle.
How does "forgiveness and pardon" play into your thinking on this subject?

And how about God's mercy?

1 Kings 11:11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.
12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son.

Notice Solomon done the wrong yet it was his son who lost the Kingdom.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

titus213

Post by titus213 »

bibleman wrote:
titus213 wrote:

How does "forgiveness and pardon" play into your thinking on this subject?

And how about God's mercy?

1 Kings 11:11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.
12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son.

Notice Solomon done the wrong yet it was his son who lost the Kingdom.
Yes, there surely is forgiveness and pardon! That's the hope of the Gospel. So (for example) both David and Paul were forgiven and pardoned for their previous conduct.Yet the consequences of their conduct continued. I'm sure that, as a pastor, you've seen a divorced person who had done wrong in the 1st marriage get back on the right track with the Lord. They can be forgiven and blessed by the Lord once again. And in his mercy he may ease some of the consequences of their wrongdoing. Nevertheless they may still have ongoing after-effects of their behavior for many years to come in the form of alimony and child support payments, restricted visitation with their children, etc.
Even in ordinary everyday life forgiveness does not automatically remove consequences. If my teenage son has a fender-bender due to his own carelessness, I will forgive him but I will still expect him to help pay for the repairs. In mercy, I may not expect him to pay for all of them, but I don't just erase the consequences. Forgiveness and pardon are not the same as removal of consequences.

In the case of Solomon, we're talking about a different kind of thing. God chose to honor David's memory by delaying the timing of the split kingdom. Solomon was not repentant so it's not quite the kind of situation we've been discussing. And although Solomon was spared having to witness the kingdom being completely taken from him, the rebellions began while he was alive and thus he is another example of reaping what he had sown.

victoryword

Post by victoryword »

victoryword wrote:LOL, I feel like I do when I am debating divine healing with anti-wofers and they bring up Paul's thorn, Timothy's wine for his stomach, Trophimus being left sick at Miletum, etc. Pretty disappointing the responses (and Macca I'm a little surprised at you). Anyway, no time for me to get into a full defense of my DEVOTIONAL right now (never thought a "devotional" would garner so much controversy). However, I have one question based on the following passage:
  • And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. (Matt. 26:51-52)
Just wanting to see if anyone had an answer to this.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

victoryword wrote:
victoryword wrote:LOL, I feel like I do when I am debating divine healing with anti-wofers and they bring up Paul's thorn, Timothy's wine for his stomach, Trophimus being left sick at Miletum, etc. Pretty disappointing the responses (and Macca I'm a little surprised at you). Anyway, no time for me to get into a full defense of my DEVOTIONAL right now (never thought a "devotional" would garner so much controversy). However, I have one question based on the following passage:
Just wanting to see if anyone had an answer to this.
Jesus is using an expression, a saying, if you will, much like Paul does when he talks about "the sword" in Romans 13 -- not a prediction about swords (as though if someone had pulled a knife he would've said all who take a knife will perish with the knife). But the answer is yes, Peter did meet a violent death, in keeping with the warning Jesus gave.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

I am doing a fair amount of reaping what I have sown in the past, before 15-2-1984 and after...it does not stop good or bad.
Its where you lay the blame and the praise that matters

macca

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

if we read John 21 we would find out how the Lord Jesus Christ said he would die.and history proves Saint Peter died on a cross.