Dake Bible Discussion BoardCubit (Standard Length)

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
runningforjesus

Cubit (Standard Length)

Post by runningforjesus »

Greetings,

I was just wondering if anyone knows why Dr. Dake uses 25" as the length of a cubit? I was under the impression that 18" is the standard length for a cubit.

Thanks and God bless!

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Re: Cubit (Standard Length)

Post by titus213 »

runningforjesus wrote:Greetings,

I was just wondering if anyone knows why Dr. Dake uses 25" as the length of a cubit? I was under the impression that 18" is the standard length for a cubit.

Thanks and God bless!
The cubit was measured by the length of a man's forearm. As a result there was no exact, standard measurement since it would depend on the size of the man and whether the forearm was to include the hand all the way to the fingertips or not. This has been confirmed by archaeological digs which have shown that different measurements for a cubit were used in both Egypt and Babylon, where there were "long" and "short" cubits. When discussing the cubit Dake will refer to both the 18", the 25", and even a 21" as possible options. I think he's trying to make the Bible student aware of the fact that the measurement could fluctuate.

It is very possible that in the early period of the Old Testament, when men were bigger than they were after the flood, the cubit was measured at 24 or 25 inches. I can't say that's the reason Rev. Dake went with that figure, but other biblical authorities favor it. Whatever the reason, there is no such thing as a standard length for a cubit.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

I believe Dake said, " lets give God glory in making the cubit as the larger measurement"
'and not the dinky length that modern faithless translaters put on God' "my emphasis"

macca

runningforjesus

Post by runningforjesus »

Thank you for your answers.