Dake Bible Discussion BoardMaking Jesus Lord

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
stand
John

Re: Making Jesus Lord

Post by stand »

Ironman wrote:
stand wrote:if i hire someone to clean my house, he is not working as i have told him, i will give me a few more chances to change, if not, i will fire him sure.
Hi Mate,

How many chances would you give this bloke? I hired a bloke, "Professional maintenance" man to clean the outside of my home. He arrived, gave me a quote, and said he could start now if I liked. before I could say yes or no, he asked me; "Do you own a Pressure Cleaner I could use?"

No Joke, this is true!
I think most people pay lip service to God only. Jesus is Lord, He is our Master, our Boss, I cannot imagine in the real world any boss will keep paying an employee with lip service. God is very tolerant to us already, I believe if He sees any chance that we will repent, He will give us chances. I see myself the duty to remind people that Jesus really is The Lord, the Boss of this life and the life to come. That is absolute submission and obedience to His will, 24 hours a day, 365.25 days per year.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

stand wrote:
Ironman wrote:
stand wrote:if i hire someone to clean my house, he is not working as i have told him, i will give me a few more chances to change, if not, i will fire him sure.
Hi Mate,

How many chances would you give this bloke? I hired a bloke, "Professional maintenance" man to clean the outside of my home. He arrived, gave me a quote, and said he could start now if I liked. before I could say yes or no, he asked me; "Do you own a Pressure Cleaner I could use?"

No Joke, this is true!
I think most people pay lip service to God only. Jesus is Lord, He is our Master, our Boss, I cannot imagine in the real world any boss will keep paying an employee with lip service. God is very tolerant to us already, I believe if He sees any chance that we will repent, He will give us chances. I see myself the duty to remind people that Jesus really is The Lord, the Boss of this life and the life to come. That is absolute submission and obedience to His will, 24 hours a day, 365.25 days per year.
Hi, what is "Absolute submission" and "obedience" and what does all that entail?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Ed wroteIf the truth be told you don't anything that inconveniences Rocky and your problems aren't yours they are everyone else's.
Really, out of every thing I wrote that is all you got from it.
Ed wrote: I am not turning salvation into anything. I'm saying faith without works is dead.
No that is not what you have been saying, you been trying to justify Lordship salvation, if you would have simply said "I'm saying faith without works is dead" I would not have said any thing. Of course I believe our definition of works are different. I believe the works what James talks about is love, and benevolence, helping peoples needs and such.
Ed Wrote: That is scripture refute that.
I didn't say salvation was secured by any of these things, I said if there is real salvation they will occur.
Again that is not what you have been saying. Now I get some of what you have been trying to say, all joking aside, I know people who say they believe but live in a way that contradicts that. But at times Ed You seem to be like that praying Pharisees in Jesus's parable. I just believe that MacArthur's Lordship salvation that you are trying to pitch here is not biblical, and turns Christians in to judgmental bung holes. Ed, I and you are nothing without Jesus, so why be an elitist and judge every one? A lot of your posts and threads seem very negative and condescending, its all about how bad other Christians are and how good you are..
:scatter:

Rocky
Actually that is exactly what I have been saying. You got yourself all tied up in Lordship salvation you simply couldn't see anything I said except that. And the funny part is you are the one that brought up Lordship Salvation. I hadn't heard of it that I recall before you brought it up. I read MacArthur's books where I now see he mentioned Lordship so long ago I had completely forgotten the term or what he applied to if I noticed when he used it.

What I'm talking about is something that was taught to me years before MacAuthur ever wrote his books. I believe I was exposed to what I'm talking about at a Evangelical United Brethren 2 week church camp back in the late 50's early 60's. By the way EUB is now Methodist and they are Wesleyanand here is their tulip
‘T’ – Total Depravity – Wesley rejected the idea (preferring “complete corruption”) until later in his ministry, when he accepted the thought of humanity’s complete rejection of God without Christ.
‘U’ – Unconditional Election – Wesley and most Methodists reject this premise outright. They believe that Christ died for “all” and He “does not wish that any would perish.”
‘L’ – Limited Atonement – Wesley and most Methodists believe in “unlimited atonement.” Not that Christ brought about universal salvation, but that all sins of all humanity have been atoned for by Christ.
‘I’ – Irresistible Grace – Wesley and most Methodists believe in “resistible grace.” Humanity can reject God’s grace simply by acting out of their total depravity (or complete corruption).
‘P’ – Perseverance of the Saints – Wesley and many Methodists believe that a believer saved by grace can sin to such an extent that that one can lose their salvation.

If you find Calvinism in there you are seeing something no body has.
Hi Ed, ok, How do you make Jesus Lord???

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Ed wroteIf the truth be told you don't anything that inconveniences Rocky and your problems aren't yours they are everyone else's.
Ed wrote: I am not turning salvation into anything. I'm saying faith without works is dead.
No that is not what you have been saying, you been trying to justify Lordship salvation, if you would have simply said "I'm saying faith without works is dead" I would not have said any thing. Of course I believe our definition of works are different. I believe the works what James talks about is love, and benevolence, helping peoples needs and such.
I didn't say salvation was secured by any of these things, I said if there is real salvation they will occur.
Again that is not what you have been saying. Now I get some of what you have been trying to say, all joking aside, I know people who say they believe but live in a way that contradicts that. But at times Ed You seem to be like that praying Pharisees in Jesus's parable. I just believe that MacArthur's Lordship salvation that you are trying to pitch here is not biblical, and turns Christians in to judgmental bung holes. Ed, I and you are nothing without Jesus, so why be an elitist and judge every one? A lot of your posts and threads seem very negative and condescending, its all about how bad other Christians are and how good you are..

Rocky
Actually that is exactly what I have been saying. You got yourself all tied up in Lordship salvation you simply couldn't see anything I said except that. And the funny part is you are the one that brought up Lordship Salvation. I hadn't heard of it that I recall before you brought it up. I read MacArthur's books where I now see he mentioned Lordship so long ago I had completely forgotten the term or what he applied to if I noticed when he used it.

What I'm talking about is something that was taught to me years before MacAuthur ever wrote his books. I believe I was exposed to what I'm talking about at a Evangelical United Brethren 2 week church camp back in the late 50's early 60's. By the way EUB is now Methodist and they are Wesleyanand here is their tulip
‘T’ – Total Depravity – Wesley rejected the idea (preferring “complete corruption”) until later in his ministry, when he accepted the thought of humanity’s complete rejection of God without Christ.
‘U’ – Unconditional Election – Wesley and most Methodists reject this premise outright. They believe that Christ died for “all” and He “does not wish that any would perish.”
‘L’ – Limited Atonement – Wesley and most Methodists believe in “unlimited atonement.” Not that Christ brought about universal salvation, but that all sins of all humanity have been atoned for by Christ.
‘I’ – Irresistible Grace – Wesley and most Methodists believe in “resistible grace.” Humanity can reject God’s grace simply by acting out of their total depravity (or complete corruption).
‘P’ – Perseverance of the Saints – Wesley and many Methodists believe that a believer saved by grace can sin to such an extent that that one can lose their salvation.

Very simply by yielding your will to His will.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Rocky

Very simply by yielding your will to His will.
How is that done? is it a pledge? Keeping some kind of code or rules? And by what means is that done? And what does that entail? How do we know when it is attained? And what is the results of doing that? If you can answer my questions I might could know where you are coming from. Because I don't understand what you mean by "Yielding". What do we do to Yield, and how do we know we have done enough to attain this "yielding"? All of these or not rhetorical questions, I really do want to understand where you are coming from..

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

We yield our will by first seeking the leading of the Holy Spirit. Once we learn to be lead of the Holy Spirit then His will becomes our will. How do we know when we do this? When we know that we know that we are in relationship with Holy Spirit, to the point we seek his guidance before we do anything. What will the results be a changed life. We won't care about ourselves and our wants, we will seek benefits for others even at our expense. We won't wonder if we should go over to a person and share Jesus with them we just will. We will find ourselves in constant prayer. And most of all we will be very sensitive to checks in the spirit. Our desires won't be for material things our desires will be for more of Jesus. People will seek us out for our wisdom and guidance yet we will be the last to speak and we will only speak what God has laid on our hearts to speak.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Hi Rocky.

You wrote;
"Hi Ed, ok, How do you make Jesus Lord???"

A valid question as no one can make Jesus, who is Lord of Lords and King of Kings "LORD" because He is LORD!

What Ed should have or should be asking is; "How do we ordinary people, or how can we people make Jesus Lord of us, or Lord of our lives?

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

stand
John

Post by stand »

My understanding to make Jesus my Lord is to be Jesus' slave. Jesus is Lord of Lords but not too many people choose to become His slaves to be obedient to God. God commands us to love Him with all out hearts, all our souls and all our might. We are to carry our crosses everyday, to deny ourselves, to be a living sacrifice to God. I do not think there is anything we have to argue, it is straight from the Bible.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ironman wrote:Hi Rocky.

You wrote;

A valid question as no one can make Jesus, who is Lord of Lords and King of Kings "LORD" because He is LORD!

What Ed should have or should be asking is; "How do we ordinary people, or how can we people make Jesus Lord of us, or Lord of our lives?
Yes That is kind of what I meant. But still it sounds like some kind of thing that is attained, but no one seems to know how it is attained. Ed has stated this is attained by witnessing to people and praying and going to church and paying tithe. And, stand claimed this is achieved by total submission but no one can explain it what it exactly the submission means. But I see the bible showing us this is done by faith, It seems Ed and Stand is making it something that is merited through mans efforts. And no I am not talking about OSAS or just saying I believe in God and yet live like the Devil. I mean not one person said that Jesus is Lord over my life through faith.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Ironman wrote:Hi Rocky.

You wrote;

Ahh, the power and confusion of words and how we use them. This reminds me of the saying: "Seek first to understand, then to be understood."

A good point was made earlier - Jesus is Lord! Period, end of statement, well sort of. Meaning that while He is Lord in a general sense, He may not be "Lord" in the life of a particular person. So, where does that leave us?

Then there is that troubling passage in Matthew 7 where people will cry out "Lord, Lord, did we not....." The troubling part is that in the context of the passage, Jesus does not say "I wasn't your Lord" but that He never knew them. The implication is there are many that will reside in the Kingdom and do Kingdom work but will have no intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. Kind of like me in America, I know who the President is, I know all kinds of things about him. Like him or not he is MY president and I am one of his constituents, but we don't know each other.

So, Ed, perhaps you can be a little clearer and more specific about what you are referring to when you say "Make him Lord"