Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat is God's will?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

What is God's will?

Post by Justaned »

What is God's will? Do we always know?
Is God's will always our will?
Is God's will our solution to a situation?

What is God's will?

I'm sure some of you will come up with a list of God's will carefully crafted from scripture, a bit here and bit there but does it truly define God's will?

Is it not God's will that we learn to trust in God totally, to become dependent on God totally, to leave nothing to our own understanding but to let God be God before us?

If we look at the saints before us most endured things I pray none of us ever have to endure. In some their faith was even shaken but their total trust in God never was. We can see it in David's Psalms he is praying and truthfully David's faith is seen as being shaken and stretched. But as we read those psalms what one thing do we see that never changes? David's total and complete dependence/trust in God. The fact he is praying shows David knew where his source came from. Not in his own ability to muster the faith to overcome but rather in a loving God that had promised to make all things work to David's good.

Think this question over and answer if you will please don't supply a grocery list of God's desires instead summarize what is God's will in our lives?

bibleman
Administrator

Re: What is God's will?

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:What is God's will? Do we always know?

What is God's will?

I'm sure some of you will come up with a list of God's will carefully crafted from scripture, a bit here and bit there but does it truly define God's will?

Is it not God's will that we learn to trust in God totally, to become dependent on God totally, to leave nothing to our own understanding but to let God be God before us?

If we look at the saints before us most endured things I pray none of us ever have to endure. In some their faith was even shaken but their total trust in God never was. We can see it in David's Psalms he is praying and truthfully David's faith is seen as being shaken and stretched. But as we read those psalms what one thing do we see that never changes? David's total and complete dependence/trust in God. The fact he is praying shows David knew where his source came from. Not in his own ability to muster the faith to overcome but rather in a loving God that had promised to make all things work to David's good.

Think this question over and answer if you will please don't supply a grocery list of God's desires instead summarize what is God's will in our lives?
That's easy.... God's Will is HIS WORD!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:

What is God's will?

So true.

Would you say we get to concerned with short term portions of that will that we lose focus of the big picture?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

What is God's will?

So true.

Would you say we get to concerned with short term portions of that will that we lose focus of the big picture?
No not at all...

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

I like this one....

3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Think about it... God loves us so much it is HIS will for us to be saved, healed, and prosperous!
a [I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth] Three kinds of blessing that are God's will:

1. Material prosperity (3Jn. 1:2; Josh. 1:5-9; 1Sam. 2:7-8; 1Ki. 2:3-4; 1Chr. 29:12; Ezra 8:22; Job 36:11; Ps. 1:1-3; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:22; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7,16; 2Cor. 9:6-8; Php. 4:19)
2. Physical healing and health (3Jn. 1:2; Ex. 15:26; Ps. 91; 103:3; Isa. 53:4-5; 58:8; Mt. 8:17; 1Pet. 2:24; Jas. 5:14, note)
3. Soul salvation (3Jn. 1:2; Mt. 1:21; Rom. 1:16; 10:9-10; Eph. 1:7; 2:8-9; Heb. 7:25; 1Jn. 1:7,9; Rev. 1:5)

If any one of these blessings was not the will of God, would it be the wish of this most beloved apostle? If such blessings are the will of God for one man, they are for all men alike who will have faith for them, because there is no partiality in the gospel.

Finis Jennings Dake, Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text, (Lawrenceville, GA: Dake Bible Sales, Inc., 1997), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "Side Notes Of 3 John".

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:

What is God's will?

True however I was hoping for something not so all consuming something that would promote real discussion.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

What is God's will?

So true.

Grandfather
I would say that is a general trend within the Lord's church today. As humans we tend to look at the now where God being eternal looks far down the road at what would be best for us.

We see it even in our society. The Corporate giants that built great industry within this nation were looking toward the future. Today we see people focused only on today's profit willing to tear apart and destroy those great industries if it will bring a profit today.

When I was a boy in the church the sermon was the great hope of the church the second coming of Christ. Today it seems like many want to preach how to realize heaven here and now.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

What is God's will?

So true.

No not at all...

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

I like this one....

3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Think about it... God loves us so much it is HIS will for us to be saved, healed, and prosperous!
a [I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth] Three kinds of blessing that are God's will:

1. Material prosperity (3Jn. 1:2; Josh. 1:5-9; 1Sam. 2:7-8; 1Ki. 2:3-4; 1Chr. 29:12; Ezra 8:22; Job 36:11; Ps. 1:1-3; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:22; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7,16; 2Cor. 9:6-8; Php. 4:19)
2. Physical healing and health (3Jn. 1:2; Ex. 15:26; Ps. 91; 103:3; Isa. 53:4-5; 58:8; Mt. 8:17; 1Pet. 2:24; Jas. 5:14, note)
3. Soul salvation (3Jn. 1:2; Mt. 1:21; Rom. 1:16; 10:9-10; Eph. 1:7; 2:8-9; Heb. 7:25; 1Jn. 1:7,9; Rev. 1:5)

If any one of these blessings was not the will of God, would it be the wish of this most beloved apostle? If such blessings are the will of God for one man, they are for all men alike who will have faith for them, because there is no partiality in the gospel.

Finis Jennings Dake, Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text, (Lawrenceville, GA: Dake Bible Sales, Inc., 1997), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "Side Notes Of 3 John".

I believe that is right as far as a parent's desire for His children. That is what we as earthly parents want for our children is it not? However God also knows if our spiritual muscles are never exercised they lose their strength just as physical muscles do. Therefore instead of simply waving His hand over the earth making everyone perfect in health, saved and prosperous God allows things into our lives that make us exercise those spiritual muscles. He did it with saints of the Old Testament and New Testament. Each had to endure things that could either destroy them or strengthen them. Each had to overcome, each had set his sight not on the here and how but on the goal of the future. Each had to build a real and total dependence on God.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

What is God's will?

So true.

No not at all...

I like this one....

I don't doubt that God wants us healed, physically, emotionally and spiritually. But that was not the question.

On another thread you posted in praise of Dave Ramsey. One of the teachings in money management is that people often get in trouble by satisfying short term goals and neglecting long term needs. Indeed in 3 John we read: "I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." Notice the prosperity is to be in proportion to the condition of our soul, not our spirit.

Regretfully I believe too few people actually have a proper and healthy understanding of the condition of their soul. Besides we are not to seek prosperity but the Kingdom of God. It's been my experience that people seek the Kingdom only to the degree that it will prosper them and when seeking the Kingdom begins "costing" they stop.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ed don't we know Gods will through his written word? Your threads here seems as if you don't want us to use the bible or something, but maybe I just read it wrong +wink
I mean you wrote
I say scripture is where we learn of Gods will..
2 Timothy 3:16:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:Ed don't we know Gods will through his written word? Your threads here seems as if you don't want us to use the bible or something, but maybe I just read it wrong +wink
I mean you wrote
I say scripture is where we learn of Gods will..
2 Timothy 3:16:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
I totally agree we do know God's will through His word. What I meant when I said I'm sure some will come up with bits and piece of scripture. Is that we often over look the big picture. We zoom in on bits we like or desire in the natural while we miss the real will of God. That being we are good and faithful servants of the Lord God.

Notice Bibleman's first answer health (physical state) wealth (physical state) and saved which is a spiritual view but I wonder if it is viewed more as keeping ourselves out of the Lake of Fire (physical view) or to be in right state to serve God?