Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat is God's will?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Re: What is God's will?

Post by titus213 »

Or it could be that those who think they are asking "complex" questions are actually guilty of hiding their real questions (and the motives behind them) so that they can merely bait the hook for those who try to give honest answers, which are then put down as "simple".

It seems to me that is far more the case than that any questions are too "complex".

I suggest getting off your high horses and trying a little humility along with (for a change) some honesty in the questions being asked.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

titus213 wrote:Or it could be that those who think they are asking "complex" questions are actually guilty of hiding their real questions (and the motives behind them) so that they can merely bait the hook for those who try to give honest answers, which are then put down as "simple".

It seems to me that is far more the case than that any questions are too "complex".

I suggest getting off your high horses and trying a little humility along with (for a change) some honesty in the questions being asked.
Baiting a hook???
We are all Christians here. We are discussing issues that are of interest to us. Why the lack of trust? Do you really believe I'm baiting some hook when I ask a question?
I'm a curious person and I have seen people express ideas on this forum that completely astounded me. Before I read their comment I would have sworn that no confessing Christian would say such a thing. So I ask questions to find out where people are coming from. It seems to me many confessing Christians produced with today's brand of theology don't have any understanding of what being a Christian means.

I'm sorry if the use of the term complex insulted you. I don't think it was meant to. Perhaps me making a joke about did and for that I'm apologize. However I believe the use of the term complex was used to say that is was a multifaceted question that requires multifaceted answers.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

Your not sorry Ed, you get a perverse kick out of tripping people up in their desire to be true to the word of God.
macca

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

titus213 wrote:Or it could be that those who think they are asking "complex" questions are actually guilty of hiding their real questions (and the motives behind them) so that they can merely bait the hook for those who try to give honest answers, which are then put down as "simple".

Titus you've asked a fair question. Perhaps they are trying to "bait the hook" as you say, or perhaps they did not realize the complexity of their question. Yes, it could be more than being a "complex" question.

What I find interesting is that you neither acknowledge nor deny the statement I made of "What is God's will" being a complex question. You don't reference any of the examples I gave and then level accusations when I called answers as "simple".

Notice I did not say the answers were WRONG! For example, Bibleman responded "the same as Jesus" Which is correct in some applications, but as I pointed out it is incorrect in some applications as well. Which is why I choose to re-frame the question from "will" to "mission", now perhaps you don't like that change, perhaps Ed does/doesn't. I don't know, but either of you is free to ask for clarification.

Someone on this forum has accused me, often, of reading scripture through my particular "grid", what I heard was that I was reading it with a particular mindset and was making scripture fit that mindset by filter everything I disagreed with. They may be right, but I try not to. However, what I've noticed is that people use that "grid" when they read my postings.

As for me, the word of God says we are to "think the best" and that is what I try to on every question and post. The word says "you will reap what you sow" so I attempt to sow understand (even if I disagree) I try to sow "believing the best" instead of "baiting hooks".

As to the question of "What is God's will" - I stick by my statement, no hooks, no tricks, -- it's a complex question, because God's will for you might not be the same as His will for me, but the mission (as I refer to it) is the same - to advance the Kingdom of God.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

macca wrote:Your not sorry Ed, you get a perverse kick out of tripping people up in their desire to be true to the word of God.
macca
You know if I'm sincere of not? You really know that much about me that you are able to judge me?

I pray I have never tripped anyone up in their desire to be true to the word of God.

However I will admit I have often tried to show people that often what they are trying to be true to is not the word of God. Many times instead of the actual word of God people end up following a twisted version of the truth. That was what I was trying to correct when I posted in response to Victoryword's comments.

I thought Chris' post was excellent and I felt it was being convoluted by someone else.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Justaned wrote;
"Yes it helps and I'm letting it be a lesson to me not to ask complex questions to this crowd and expect anything but simple answers."

Judging by the old saying, "What you don't know can't hurt you," your practically invulnerable! :lol!: Here's another free lesson for you. Never enter a battle of wits unarmed. Ordinarily people live and learn. You just seem to well, . . . . live! I'm thinking your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.:shocked!: And please Ed, don't get insulted, but is your job devoted to spreading ignorance?

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ironman wrote:Justaned wrote;
"Yes it helps and I'm letting it be a lesson to me not to ask complex questions to this crowd and expect anything but simple answers."

Judging by the old saying, "What you don't know can't hurt you," your practically invulnerable! :lol!: Here's another free lesson for you. Never enter a battle of wits unarmed. Ordinarily people live and learn. You just seem to well, . . . . live! I'm thinking your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.:shocked!: And please Ed, don't get insulted, but is your job devoted to spreading ignorance?
"What you don't know can't hurt you," your practically invulnerable"
Hahahahahah!!!!!!!!!
"I'm thinking your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others."
tehee heheeehe hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! +dutchoven
Oh my gosh!!! That was the greatest thing I have ever read ...

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

"People lacking the ability to refute their opponents with fact or knowledge, instead they try to insult, ridicule, deride, slander, and traduce them, and in the use of these methods their followers are no less expert. Their polemic is directed never against the argument of the opponent, but always against his person."

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Justaned wrote:"People lacking the ability to refute their opponents with fact or knowledge, instead they try to insult, ridicule, deride, slander, and traduce them, and in the use of these methods their followers are no less expert. Their polemic is directed never never against the argument of the opponent,, but always against his person."
Every sound, truthfull Scripture anyone has never given you against your arguments have been ignored and your personal beliefs have been posted to try and refute them. So now with nothing to use that you would consider as truth, I try and use humour against the argument of the opponent to hopefully lighten the mood! Fact is, you don't get it, you cry the poor me, I'm being insulted, ridiculed, deride, slandered, and traduced! Boo hoo, poor me :arrow:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Ironman wrote:
Justaned wrote:"People lacking the ability to refute their opponents with fact or knowledge, instead they try to insult, ridicule, deride, slander, and traduce them, and in the use of these methods their followers are no less expert. Their polemic is directed never never against the argument of the opponent,, but always against his person."
Every sound, truthfull Scripture anyone has never given you against your arguments have been ignored and your personal beliefs have been posted to try and refute them. So now with nothing to use that you would consider as truth, I try and use humour against the argument of the opponent to hopefully lighten the mood! Fact is, you don't get it, you cry the poor me, I'm being insulted, ridiculed, deride, slandered, and traduced! Boo hoo, poor me :arrow:

Sound scriptures??????
How about scripture ripped from context and presented in such a way the directly contradict the teaching of the whole of scripture.
What you call humor is at the expense of another and where I come from that is considered ill mannered mockery.
Jesus said do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Well Ironman when I retorted your humor I quickly found our you don't like be made the buffoon either. If you can't discuss something using scripture that stands with the rest of scripture then don't complain when I ignore it.