Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat is God's will?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: What is God's will?

Post by Justaned »

Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:What is God's will? Do we always know?
Is God's will always our will?
Is God's will our solution to a situation?

What is God's will?

I'm sure some of you will come up with a list of God's will carefully crafted from scripture, a bit here and bit there but does it truly define God's will?

Is it not God's will that we learn to trust in God totally, to become dependent on God totally, to leave nothing to our own understanding but to let God be God before us?

If we look at the saints before us most endured things I pray none of us ever have to endure. In some their faith was even shaken but their total trust in God never was. We can see it in David's Psalms he is praying and truthfully David's faith is seen as being shaken and stretched. But as we read those psalms what one thing do we see that never changes? David's total and complete dependence/trust in God. The fact he is praying shows David knew where his source came from. Not in his own ability to muster the faith to overcome but rather in a loving God that had promised to make all things work to David's good.

Think this question over and answer if you will please don't supply a grocery list of God's desires instead summarize what is God's will in our lives?
That's easy.... God's Will is HIS WORD!
So true.

Would you say we get to concerned with short term portions of that will that we lose focus of the big picture?
No not at all...

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

I like this one....

3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Think about it... God loves us so much it is HIS will for us to be saved, healed, and prosperous!
a [I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth] Three kinds of blessing that are God's will:

1. Material prosperity (3Jn. 1:2; Josh. 1:5-9; 1Sam. 2:7-8; 1Ki. 2:3-4; 1Chr. 29:12; Ezra 8:22; Job 36:11; Ps. 1:1-3; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:22; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7,16; 2Cor. 9:6-8; Php. 4:19)
2. Physical healing and health (3Jn. 1:2; Ex. 15:26; Ps. 91; 103:3; Isa. 53:4-5; 58:8; Mt. 8:17; 1Pet. 2:24; Jas. 5:14, note)
3. Soul salvation (3Jn. 1:2; Mt. 1:21; Rom. 1:16; 10:9-10; Eph. 1:7; 2:8-9; Heb. 7:25; 1Jn. 1:7,9; Rev. 1:5)

If any one of these blessings was not the will of God, would it be the wish of this most beloved apostle? If such blessings are the will of God for one man, they are for all men alike who will have faith for them, because there is no partiality in the gospel.

Finis Jennings Dake, Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text, (Lawrenceville, GA: Dake Bible Sales, Inc., 1997), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, Under: "Side Notes Of 3 John".

I don't doubt that God wants us healed, physically, emotionally and spiritually. But that was not the question.

On another thread you posted in praise of Dave Ramsey. One of the teachings in money management is that people often get in trouble by satisfying short term goals and neglecting long term needs. Indeed in 3 John we read: "I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers." Notice the prosperity is to be in proportion to the condition of our soul, not our spirit.

Regretfully I believe too few people actually have a proper and healthy understanding of the condition of their soul. Besides we are not to seek prosperity but the Kingdom of God. It's been my experience that people seek the Kingdom only to the degree that it will prosper them and when seeking the Kingdom begins "costing" they stop.
AMEN!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:Ed don't we know Gods will through his written word? Your threads here seems as if you don't want us to use the bible or something, but maybe I just read it wrong +wink
I mean you wrote
I'm sure some of you will come up with a list of God's will carefully crafted from scripture, a bit here and bit there but does it truly define God's will?
I say scripture is where we learn of Gods will..
2 Timothy 3:16:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
I totally agree we do know God's will through His word. What I meant when I said I'm sure some will come up with bits and piece of scripture. Is that we often over look the big picture. We zoom in on bits we like or desire in the natural while we miss the real will of God. That being we are good and faithful servants of the Lord God.

Notice Bibleman's first answer health (physical state) wealth (physical state) and saved which is a spiritual view but I wonder if it is viewed more as keeping ourselves out of the Lake of Fire (physical view) or to be in right state to serve God?
Oh ok I understand. But I really don't see anything inherently wrong with Leons reply. And I get what you saying as well. Nothing wrong with being healthy, happy, and prosperous. I have tried that white knuckle Christianity, and back then I remember thinking, "gosh I wish I did not get saved this miserable." But I believe there is the other extremes like if you believe, nothing bad will ever happen. But I don't think that is what Leon is saying. I believe God wants us happy, healthy and prosperous. I don't like "the lets just hold on and be miserable until Jesus comes back". That maybe fine if you are 90 but what about us younger ones that has kids and spouses and live in the hear and now? I mean we cant relate to songs like "the sweet by and by" we live in the hear and now.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:Ed don't we know Gods will through his written word? Your threads here seems as if you don't want us to use the bible or something, but maybe I just read it wrong +wink
I mean you wrote
I say scripture is where we learn of Gods will..
2 Timothy 3:16:
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
I totally agree we do know God's will through His word. What I meant when I said I'm sure some will come up with bits and piece of scripture. Is that we often over look the big picture. We zoom in on bits we like or desire in the natural while we miss the real will of God. That being we are good and faithful servants of the Lord God.

Notice Bibleman's first answer health (physical state) wealth (physical state) and saved which is a spiritual view but I wonder if it is viewed more as keeping ourselves out of the Lake of Fire (physical view) or to be in right state to serve God?
Oh ok I understand. But I really don't see anything inherently wrong with Leons reply. And I get what you saying as well. Nothing wrong with being healthy, happy, and prosperous. I have tried that white knuckle Christianity, and back then I remember thinking, "gosh I wish I did not get saved this miserable." But I believe there is the other extremes like if you believe, nothing bad will ever happen. But I don't think that is what Leon is saying. I believe God wants us happy, healthy and prosperous. I don't like "the lets just hold on and be miserable until Jesus comes back". That maybe fine if you are 90 but what about us younger ones that has kids and spouses and live in the hear and now? I mean we cant relate to songs like "the sweet by and by" we live in the hear and now.
But it is a fact we can't experience heaven here on earth if we could heaven would hold no expectation for us. It would not be our goal just the realization of the heaven on earth we have already experienced. Jesus said we will face tribulation. James says count it all joy because when trials come we know God is working to perfect us.

Nothing inherently wrong with Bibleman's reply it just show the focus many of us have, fleshly contentment instead of spiritual fire. God is not looking for happy campers God is looking for pioneers. God is not going to plant us, raise us up and pick us and stick us in the basket until we rot. God is going to use us and when God uses people trials and tribulation follows.

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

Perhaps a better question to ask would be: What is the mission of Jesus Christ?

I believe there are many things, events, occurrences that make up the will of God. We have already given rise to some of those in the brief life of this thread. I believe it is God's will to heal, just as I believe it is God's will to prosper people, which are two of the items listed already. What I find really interesting is both what was listed as "God's will" and who raised them. The reason I raise this point is that both of those items, healing and prosperity are temporal, as if to restrict God's will to delivering temporal things to us in this life, either by us using "faith" to obtain them, or the positioning of ourselves by our good works, or simply because of His grace.

I have to ask why: "I've come to seek and save those which are lost" was not the primary answer? Or "Go into all the world...." but I'm afraid I know the answer to that question and Jesus said it best, where a man's heart is, there is his treasure also, and out of the abundance of the heart a man speaks. Perhaps the abundance of the heart is "what's in it for me" and let me get all I can for me.

Okay... blast away.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Grandfather wrote:Perhaps a better question to ask would be: What is the mission of Jesus Christ?

I believe there are many things, events, occurrences that make up the will of God. We have already given rise to some of those in the brief life of this thread. I believe it is God's will to heal, just as I believe it is God's will to prosper people, which are two of the items listed already. What I find really interesting is both what was listed as "God's will" and who raised them. The reason I raise this point is that both of those items, healing and prosperity are temporal, as if to restrict God's will to delivering temporal things to us in this life, either by us using "faith" to obtain them, or the positioning of ourselves by our good works, or simply because of His grace.

I have to ask why: "I've come to seek and save those which are lost" was not the primary answer? Or "Go into all the world...." but I'm afraid I know the answer to that question and Jesus said it best, where a man's heart is, there is his treasure also, and out of the abundance of the heart a man speaks. Perhaps the abundance of the heart is "what's in it for me" and let me get all I can for me.

Okay... blast away.
No blasting here. Only a Hearty AMEN!!!!!!!

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:Perhaps a better question to ask would be: What is the mission of Jesus Christ?

Okay... blast away.
Grandfather,

I appreciate your honesty. So if your feelings are: "Perhaps the abundance of the heart is "what's in it for me" and let me get all I can for me."

Then why don't you repent and ask God's forgiveness and PUT HIM first in your life rather that always asking what's in it for me?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:

Okay... blast away.
Grandfather,

I appreciate your honesty. So if your feelings are: "Perhaps the abundance of the heart is "what's in it for me" and let me get all I can for me."

Then why don't you repent and ask God's forgiveness and PUT HIM first in your life rather that always asking what's in it for me?
Perhaps I should, perhaps we both should examine the man in the mirror? Or are you without fault since you cast the first stone?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Okay... blast away.
Grandfather,

Perhaps I should, perhaps we both should examine the man in the mirror? Or are you without fault since you cast the first stone?
It was you that said you had the what's in it for me in your heart... not me!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Jesus came to do the will of the Father.
Last edited by Ironman on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Justaned wrote:What is God's will? Do we always know?
Is God's will always our will?
Is God's will our solution to a situation?

What is God's will?

Is it not God's will that we learn to trust in God totally, to become dependent on God totally, to leave nothing to our own understanding but to let God be God before us?

If we look at the saints before us most endured things I pray none of us ever have to endure. In some their faith was even shaken but their total trust in God never was. We can see it in David's Psalms he is praying and truthfully David's faith is seen as being shaken and stretched. But as we read those psalms what one thing do we see that never changes? David's total and complete dependence/trust in God. The fact he is praying shows David knew where his source came from. Not in his own ability to muster the faith to overcome but rather in a loving God that had promised to make all things work to David's good.

Think this question over and answer if you will please don't supply a grocery list of God's desires instead summarize what is God's will in our lives?
What is God's will?

Well if we cannot give you an answer from the Bible, you deserve no answer. But here is the answer, carefully crafted from Scripture.

Jesus came to do the will of the Father.

John 6:38, For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Jesus always does what the Father wants Him to do therefore, It is God's will and it is Jesus Christs will, that all men be saved and come unto the knowledge of the truth.

John 6:40, And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

1 Tim. 2: 3, For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

V 4, Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?