Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat do you think?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
bibleman
Administrator

Re: What do you think?

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:“The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ, in God’s sight, they are accepted and righteous. So we can say that we are more wicked than we ever dared believe, but more loved and accepted in Christ than we ever dared hope — at the very same time. This creates a radical new dynamic for personal growth. It means that the more you see your own flaws and sins, the more precious, electrifying, and amazing God’s grace appears to you. But on the other hand, the more aware you are of God’s grace and acceptance in Christ, the more able you are to drop your denials and self-defenses and admit the true dimensions and character of your sin.” Tim Keller
Sounds like Tim needs to get himself a Bible and read it!

“The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ, in God’s sight, they are accepted and righteous. So we can say that we are more wicked than we ever dared believe,..."

This person has NOT received salvation at all they are still sinning and "more wicked" according to Tim.

So if salvation makes you MORE OF A SINNER then why get saved at all!
Hmmm, that is not what I understand him to be saying. As I understand what he is saying is that because of salvation we are accepted and because of that acceptance we can lift the veil of deception and see how truly horrid our sin was.
Nope Grandfather,

Here is what he said: “The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ,

He said that Christians are, in themselves still sinful and still sinning!.

Did you read that?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:“The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ, in God’s sight, they are accepted and righteous. So we can say that we are more wicked than we ever dared believe, but more loved and accepted in Christ than we ever dared hope — at the very same time. This creates a radical new dynamic for personal growth. It means that the more you see your own flaws and sins, the more precious, electrifying, and amazing God’s grace appears to you. But on the other hand, the more aware you are of God’s grace and acceptance in Christ, the more able you are to drop your denials and self-defenses and admit the true dimensions and character of your sin.” Tim Keller

“The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ, in God’s sight, they are accepted and righteous. So we can say that we are more wicked than we ever dared believe,..."

This person has NOT received salvation at all they are still sinning and "more wicked" according to Tim.

Hmmm, that is not what I understand him to be saying. As I understand what he is saying is that because of salvation we are accepted and because of that acceptance we can lift the veil of deception and see how truly horrid our sin was.
Nope Grandfather,

Here is what he said: “The gospel of justifying faith means that while Christians are, in themselves still sinful and sinning, yet in Christ,

Did you read that?
Oh, so you are perfected and you never sin? I mean only sinful people sin correct? So you, being the strong Christian you are can't sin because you can't be sinful.
Therefore, you either are perfected and never sin, or are sinful and still sin? Which is it?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

You guys need to listen to this:

[video][/video]

At about 2:00 he talks about being set free from sin!

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Nope Grandfather,

Did you read that?
Oh, so you are perfected and you never sin? I mean only sinful people sin correct? So you, being the strong Christian you are can't sin because you can't be sinful.
Therefore, you either are perfected and never sin, or are sinful and still sin? Which is it?
1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

God bless
Leon Bible

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Grandfather wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Nope Grandfather,

Did you read that?
1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1 John 1:8 If we claim, "We don’t have any sin," we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Two can play this game. Are you perfect and without sin?

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

In ourselves we are still sinful and sinning
In Christ we are accepted and righteous.

What part or parts of those two statements do you agree or disagree with?

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

The father looks at me on my knees daily in prayer, a repentant sinner, repenting in the Name of Jesus, and what He sees is a sinless soul, white as snow. I believe this is how the Father sees everyone who has resigned themselves to be "In Jesus," despite all their daily unintentional errors / sins.

2 Cor. 5:21, For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Isa 1:18, Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

Grandfather wrote:

In ourselves we are still sinful and sinning
In Christ we are accepted and righteous.

What part or parts of those two statements do you agree or disagree with?

Sigh +hammer

cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

Post by cpbeller »

Here are my thoughts on this subject...

[video][/video]

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

In true Reformed theological form, the quote from Tim Keller tries to maintain the Reformation doctrine of "Simul Justus Et Peccator" (saint and sinner at the same time). Alas, that is the theology of Luther but not of the apostle Paul. In contrast, Paul would forget the things which were behind him, and press forward as a new man, created anew by the power of the Spirit and no longer wallowing in the sense of sin and despair he once felt as an unbelieving Jew.