Dake Bible Discussion BoardTeaching of 1 Peter 3:8-11

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Teaching of 1 Peter 3:8-11

Post by Justaned »

I'm involved in a study on 1 Peter and recently we moved to 1 Peter 3:8-11. I will quote it from NLT
1 Peter 3:8-12 (NLT)
8 Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude.
9 Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will bless you for it.
10 For the Scriptures say, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies.
11 Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.
12 The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil.”

As I mediated on this word, I thought about this forum. I then asked myslef do we sympathize with each other, do we love each other as brothers and sisters?

Are we tenderhearted and always keeping a humble attitude?
Do we repay evil with evil by returning spiteful remarks with equally spiteful remarks?
Do we trade insults instead of repaying insults with blessing?

I had to answer to the negative in all these questions.

It was then I had to ask myself do I want to separate myself so far from God's word, am I looking for God's blessing or am I feeding a fleshly lust?

We are told to turn away from evil and to do good to search for peace and work to maintain it.

I won't put words into anyone else's mouth but I think it is very obvious that all of us have come up short in this regard.

I don't and can't know about how you feel reading this admonishment but I know that God does and as the last part of this passage says “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. The eyes of the Lord watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the Lord turns his face against those who do evil.”

Rocky

Re: Teaching of 1 Peter 3:8-11

Post by Rocky »

I like how the NLT puts that :fadein:

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

I wonder if any of us believe this passage. It seems like it is often forgotten in our replies to each other.
And yes Bibleman I include myself, you and everyone else.
We are given clear directives on how we should live and interact and we go on as we please. None of us can ever say we have fully yielded our will to God or that we don't willfully rebel against His word.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:I wonder if any of us believe this passage. It seems like it is often forgotten in our replies to each other.
We are given clear directives on how we should live and interact and we go on as we please. None of us can ever say we have fully yielded our will to God or that we don't willfully rebel against His word.
Hi Ed,

Above you said: "None of us can ever say we have fully yielded our will to God or that we don't willfully rebel against His word."

Well I pray the Lord's prayer everyday. I find that this helps me to surrender my will to God and not rebel against His WORD!

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Give it a try, I think it will help you, I know it has me.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:I wonder if any of us believe this passage. It seems like it is often forgotten in our replies to each other.
Hi Ed,

Above you said: "None of us can ever say we have fully yielded our will to God or that we don't willfully rebel against His word."

Well I pray the Lord's prayer everyday. I find that this helps me to surrender my will to God and not rebel against His WORD!

Matthew 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Give it a try, I think it will help you, I know it has me.
I sure it does but we both need more yielding in our lives, as evident by our replies to each other and others.

Watchman2013
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by Watchman2013 »

Ed, this is a fine thread, for it does, indeed, address what The Lord has been working in me, since the stroke. I'm not the easiest person to get along with, as He'll tell you. He's patient, long suffering, and ever faithful, for He continues to work in me... His love, mercy, grace, and kindness, know no bounds.. I'm amazed with what you and Grandfather have brought up, and I must concur... We must, always, practice His Presence, for He is far more "real" than that which we can sense or know...

He "cured" me of what had become a block between us- earthly possessions. "They're just "things." Useful, fun, but in the end, just things." He reminded me of His Father's cattle on a thousand hills. That everything I had, or ever would have, really, belong to Him... Whatever I gave up, He would more than match. All that is required of me, outside of love for Him, The Father, and The Holy Spirit, is wrapped up with this:

Luke 10:26-27 (NKJV)

26 He said to him, "What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?"
27 So he answered and said, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.' "

Pretty neat, huh? God has always met my needs, according to His Glory in His Precious Son, Jesus... He's never disappointed, failed, nor misled me. He is, indeed, perfect, in every way...

So, when we see conduct that is not in accord with His Will, His Intents, and His Purposes, we need to work just a bit harder, to make up for the lack... Love, and joy, are choices we make, for ourselves, that we may positively affect others... Should we not seek to be this?

Matthew 5:13-16 (NKJV)

13 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

If we do as our Lord and Savior did?

Galatians 5:22-26 (NKJV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

We must always seek to be Holy, as He is Holy... How can we be Holy, as He Is Holy, if we are "conceited, provoking one another, envying one another?"

Yes, My Brother, all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God, but we must, as always, seek to reach out for the mark of the High Calling of God, for are not His Gifts, without repentance?

I have missed the sharpening of steel, here, when we converse upon, within, and around, The Things of God...

I will endeavor to walk in The Spirit, rather than get bogged down in things that do not Glorify God- The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, and remain true to The Word of God... We should not think more highly of ourselves, or our thoughts and agendas, than we ought... God is not pleased when we bicker as children. This should be a place for peaceful, respectful, discourse, that all may be enlightened, educated, and illuminated as to God's Precious Word...

Let collegiality be the norm, lifting up Jesus, for all the world to see... For after all, isn't He, The Lord Jesus Christ, the sharing of Him, with a dead and dying world, the most important goal of all?

Maranatha

C.F. Leffen, aka Watchman2013

"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Watchman2013 wrote:Ed, this is a fine thread, for it does, indeed, address what The Lord has been working in me, since the stroke. I'm not the easiest person to get along with, as He'll tell you. He's patient, long suffering, and ever faithful, for He continues to work in me... His love, mercy, grace, and kindness, know no bounds.. I'm amazed with what you and Grandfather have brought up, and I must concur... We must, always, practice His Presence, for He is far more "real" than that which we can sense or know...

He "cured" me of what had become a block between us- earthly possessions. "They're just "things." Useful, fun, but in the end, just things." He reminded me of His Father's cattle on a thousand hills. That everything I had, or ever would have, really, belong to Him... Whatever I gave up, He would more than match. All that is required of me, outside of love for Him, The Father, and The Holy Spirit, is wrapped up with this:

27 So he answered and said, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,' and 'your neighbor as yourself.' "

Pretty neat, huh? God has always met my needs, according to His Glory in His Precious Son, Jesus... He's never disappointed, failed, nor misled me. He is, indeed, perfect, in every way...

So, when we see conduct that is not in accord with His Will, His Intents, and His Purposes, we need to work just a bit harder, to make up for the lack... Love, and joy, are choices we make, for ourselves, that we may positively affect others... Should we not seek to be this?

13 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14 You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
24 And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

We must always seek to be Holy, as He is Holy... How can we be Holy, as He Is Holy, if we are "conceited, provoking one another, envying one another?"

Yes, My Brother, all have sinned and come short of the Glory of God, but we must, as always, seek to reach out for the mark of the High Calling of God, for are not His Gifts, without repentance?

I have missed the sharpening of steel, here, when we converse upon, within, and around, The Things of God...

I will endeavor to walk in The Spirit, rather than get bogged down in things that do not Glorify God- The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit, and remain true to The Word of God... We should not think more highly of ourselves, or our thoughts and agendas, than we ought... God is not pleased when we bicker as children. This should be a place for peaceful, respectful, discourse, that all may be enlightened, educated, and illuminated as to God's Precious Word...

Let collegiality be the norm, lifting up Jesus, for all the world to see... For after all, isn't He, The Lord Jesus Christ, the sharing of Him, with a dead and dying world, the most important goal of all?

Maranatha

Good preaching, thank you!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Watchman2013 wrote:Ed, this is a fine thread, for it does, indeed, address what The Lord has been working in me, since the stroke. I'm not the easiest person to get along with, as He'll tell you. He's patient, long suffering, and ever faithful, for He continues to work in me... His love, mercy, grace, and kindness, know no bounds.. I'm amazed with what you and Grandfather have brought up, and I must concur... We must, always, practice His Presence, for He is far more "real" than that which we can sense or know...

Maranatha

:angel: