Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe passage all liberals hate!

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
bibleman
Administrator

The passage all liberals hate!

Post by bibleman »

What do we get from this Scripture!

Genesis 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

1) God can talk.
2) God has those who report to HIM what is going on on earth. (Angels)
3) God goes from place to place. (from heaven to earth and form place to place on earth)
4) The purpose in God going to Sodom and Gomorrah is to see what is going on.
5) God is checking for HIMSELF against the report that has been given to HIM. (before God destroys the cities HE must see for HIMSELF)
6) God is open to accepting the report or rejecting the report based on what HE HIMSELF sees. (Remember Angels have been known to lie)
7) God will ONLY know when he sees for HIMSELF. (THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT GOD HIMSELF SAID)

I love the simplicity of the Bible!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

Re: The passage all liberals hate!

Post by cpbeller »

now, Leon...you should know by now, that we cannot always believe what the Bible says...God is like a very good mystery novelist, and the Bible is like a mystery novel. God will say things so that way we can be surprised and shocked. At least that is what I read once on here by a very prolific poster...

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

cpbeller wrote:now, Leon...you should know by now, that we cannot always believe what the Bible says...God is like a very good mystery novelist, and the Bible is like a mystery novel. God will say things so that way we can be surprised and shocked. At least that is what I read once on here by a very prolific poster...
:angel:

Not only that - remember God was NOT surprised! :mrgreen:

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

cpbeller wrote:now, Leon...you should know by now, that we cannot always believe what the Bible says...God is like a very good mystery novelist, and the Bible is like a mystery novel. God will say things so that way we can be surprised and shocked. At least that is what I read once on here by a very prolific poster...
The Liberals will not go that far. They will just deny that the Bible is fully inspired. They say that the Bible CONTAINS the Word of God but IS NOT ITSELF the Word of God. It was written by men and is therefore full of errors. That way they can justify all kinds anti-biblical behavior.

Now, on the other hand Chris, your statement actually fits a group of people who claim to be getting their theology from the BIble:
  • "For however universal the promises of salvation may be, they are still in no respect inconsistent with the predestination of the reprobate" (John Calvin)

victoryword

Post by victoryword »

bibleman wrote:
:angel:

Not only that - remember God was NOT surprised! :mrgreen:
Now, now:
  • Isaiah 59:16 (New Century Version)
    He could not find anyone to help the people,
    and he was surprised that there was no one to help.
    So he used his own power to save the people;
    his own goodness gave him strength.
Of course that's just Old Testament :mrgreen:

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:What do we get from this Scripture!

Genesis 18:20 And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;
21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

1) God can talk.
3) God goes from place to place. (from heaven to earth and form place to place on earth)
5) God is checking for HIMSELF against the report that has been given to HIM. (before God destroys the cities HE must see for HIMSELF)
6) God is open to accepting the report or rejecting the report based on what HE HIMSELF sees. (Remember Angels have been known to lie)
7) God will ONLY know when he sees for HIMSELF. (THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT GOD HIMSELF SAID)

Read the rest of the story it never mentions God going into the city to See for HImself. Now what?

Plus verse 16 of chapter 18 implies God has already decided what He is going to do and decided to keep it from Abraham.

No I don't think this story proves anything one way or the other about God's Sovereignty or Omniscience.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:

1) God can talk.

Read the rest of the story it never mentions God going into the city to See for HImself. Now what?

Plus verse 16 of chapter 18 implies God has already decided what He is going to do and decided to keep it from Abraham.

No I don't think this story proves anything one way or the other about God's Sovereignty or Omniscience.
Above you said: "Read the rest of the story it never mentions God going into the city to See for HImself. Now what?"

So did God lie?

God bless
Leon Bible

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:

1) God can talk.

Above you said: "Read the rest of the story it never mentions God going into the city to See for HImself. Now what?"

So did God lie?

You built the box you deal with it. I don't see a lie but evidently you do. Fact God never went into the city to "see" for HImself.

victoryword

Post by victoryword »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:

1) God can talk.

So did God lie?

Yep, looks like God said that He was going down into the city to me :angel:

But with some folks here, the Bible did not say what it said even though it plainly said it and you are wrong for saying that it said it even though you quoted exactly what it said.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

victoryword wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:

1) God can talk.

So did God lie?

Yep, looks like God said that He was going down into the city to me :angel:

But with some folks here, the Bible did not say what it said even though it plainly said it and you are wrong for saying that it said it even though you quoted exactly what it said.

Never said God didn't say that, I simply said read the rest of the story. God never went and had intentions of destroying the city even before he said this to Abraham. Sounds to me like God was trying to explain to Abraham His decision process keeping it within human understanding. Nothing more nothing less.