Dake Bible Discussion BoardGenerational Curse

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Grandfather
Pray for Them which Despitefully Persecute You

Generational Curse

Post by Grandfather »

I would like some input, and or feedback, on the subject of "Generational Curses"

I've heard lots of teaching on the subject, some good, some not so good. Some I would call strict interpretations and other that I would call general application.

In the truest application of the term Generational Curse, I don't believe it is possible for a follower of Christ to be under a curse. Doesn't Balaam say: No one can curse what God has blessed. Doesn't Ezekiel say that the son shall not suffer for the sins of the father. Of course Galatians tells us we are redeemed from the curse of the law. Then there is the standard fall back position, we are children of God, what is cursed in that generation?

Yet, at the same time it is difficult to deny that dysfunctional families have produced dysfunctional children and the cycle is repeated. There are also scriptures that tell us the sins of the father will be visited upon generations to come, I believe the phraseology is "third and fourth generations"

So, what is the “most correct” answer? As I mentioned, I don’t believe I am cursed because my father, or my father’s father was. Yet at the same time it would be wrong to deny that I have disfunction in some areas because of my fathers actions, and his actions were a result of “stuff” in his life that was a result of how his father did, or did not, deal with things.

Rocky

Re: Generational Curse

Post by Rocky »

Grandfather wrote:I would like some input, and or feedback, on the subject of "Generational Curses"

I've heard lots of teaching on the subject, some good, some not so good. Some I would call strict interpretations and other that I would call general application.

In the truest application of the term Generational Curse, I don't believe it is possible for a follower of Christ to be under a curse. Doesn't Balaam say: No one can curse what God has blessed. Doesn't Ezekiel say that the son shall not suffer for the sins of the father. Of course Galatians tells us we are redeemed from the curse of the law. Then there is the standard fall back position, we are children of God, what is cursed in that generation?

Yet, at the same time it is difficult to deny that dysfunctional families have produced dysfunctional children and the cycle is repeated. There are also scriptures that tell us the sins of the father will be visited upon generations to come, I believe the phraseology is "third and fourth generations"

So, what is the “most correct” answer? As I mentioned, I don’t believe I am cursed because my father, or my father’s father was. Yet at the same time it would be wrong to deny that I have disfunction in some areas because of my fathers actions, and his actions were a result of “stuff” in his life that was a result of how his father did, or did not, deal with things.
I never believed in Generational curses. How ever I believe we live in a cursed world due to the fall. Now I know books have been written on the this subject and here is the scripture that is used:
Ex 20:5
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
This is referring to Israel under the Law and is not taught in this dispensation. Not one writer in the new testament speaks of generational curses to me it is a man made theology. But I could be wrong..

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Perhaps someone should look into the meaning of Antinomianism. :shocked!:

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Justaned wrote:Perhaps someone should look into the meaning of Antinomianism. :shocked!:
Since, when posted under another discussion is was said it waw there by mistake, I can only assume it was directed towards me. If you would be so kind as to tell me what Antinomianism has to do with a discussion on generational curses I would appreciate it. I'm not saying there is no connection, but simply I don't see one, and that may be because I am not suggesting anything of the sort.

Antinomianism comes from the Greek meaning lawless. In Christian theology it is a pejorative term for the teaching that Christians are under no obligation to obey the laws of ethics or morality. Few, if any, would explicitly call themselves "antinomian," hence, it is usually a charge leveled by one group against an opposing group.

Antinomianism may be viewed as the polar opposite of legalism, the notion that obedience to a code of religious law is necessary for salvation. In this sense, both antinomianism and legalism are considered errant extremes.

Grandfather

Post by Grandfather »

Rocky wrote:
Grandfather wrote:I would like some input, and or feedback, on the subject of "Generational Curses"

I never believed in Generational curses. How ever I believe we live in a cursed world due to the fall. Now I know books have been written on the this subject and here is the scripture that is used:
Ex 20:5
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
This is referring to Israel under the Law and is not taught in this dispensation. Not one writer in the new testament speaks of generational curses to me it is a man made theology. But I could be wrong..
As I mentioned, in the strictest definition, which I believe would be the Old Testament example of "visiting on the 3rd and 4th generations" type of thing, I don't believe that either. And for those that do adhere to that line of thought I would go to 2 Cor 5:17. Yet in a behavioral setting I see negative traits passed from generation to generation even within "saved" families.

Which is why I've come to this forum and presented the question. I'm seeking feedback and insight, not pat answers and trite remarks. Not that you have offered those, but I do see them in replies on other discussions within the forum. Thank you for your time.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Grandfather wrote:
Justaned wrote:Perhaps someone should look into the meaning of Antinomianism. :shocked!:
Since, when posted under another discussion is was said it waw there by mistake, I can only assume it was directed towards me. If you would be so kind as to tell me what Antinomianism has to do with a discussion on generational curses I would appreciate it. I'm not saying there is no connection, but simply I don't see one, and that may be because I am not suggesting anything of the sort.

Antinomianism comes from the Greek meaning lawless. In Christian theology it is a pejorative term for the teaching that Christians are under no obligation to obey the laws of ethics or morality. Few, if any, would explicitly call themselves "antinomian," hence, it is usually a charge leveled by one group against an opposing group.

Antinomianism may be viewed as the polar opposite of legalism, the notion that obedience to a code of religious law is necessary for salvation. In this sense, both antinomianism and legalism are considered errant extremes.
Good reply. And He could be referring to me, but it's hard to tell because he is just making remarks without explanation and not hitting the quote button, so may be it is to both of us, but what ever the case, it does seem like a jab +pieface :mrgreen:
Last edited by Rocky on Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The thread isn't even about Antinomianism, but about Generational curses you have posted this twice and now I am curious lol. Care to elaborate on why you believe someone is pushing or adhering to that theology?. :shock:

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

I think a comment was made that we are no longer under the law, but scripture say we are no longer under the curse or punishment of the law. Jesus did not come to change the law. The law is still to be our moral compass.

Now I understand there are various degrees of Antinomianism but generally it roots are in the argument that the laws of the Old Testament can be disregarded as not applying to us today,

As I said before we are not longer under the curse of the Law (susceptible to the Laws punishment) the Law is still our guidepost and moral compass. There are many truths found in the Old Testament that are very much alive today. Such as the sins of the father can and often do effect even the third and fourth generation.

Now before anyone takes exception to what I said bear in mind I am fully aware Jesus fulfilled many of the rites and ordinances that pointed at Him.

Let me also say if we fully accept, internalize and live
2 Corinthians 5:16-19 (NKJV)
16 Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer.
17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
We know all curses past, present and future fall as nothing to our feet.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ed:
I think a comment was made that we are no longer under the law, but scripture say we are no longer under the curse or punishment of the law.

Paul:
For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace
Ed:
The law is still to be our moral compass.
Now I understand there are various degrees of Antinomianism but generally it roots are in the argument that the laws of the Old Testament can be disregarded as not applying to us today,
Paul:
For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law
Ed:
As I said before we are not longer under the curse of the Law (susceptible to the Laws punishment) the Law is still our guidepost and moral compass.
Paul:
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

Who is right here Brother you or Paul??

Ed your Generational curse theory does not pan out, But Paul could be wrong and you could be right +wink. I do look at the bible dispensationally, but that does not make me an Antinomianist. You would be in error to call all dispensationalists antinomianist, Paul was a dispensationalist when it comes to grace and law as I showed above. All dispensation means "stewardship" or "govern" meaning God has dealt differently with mankind at different times.
Paul wrote:
For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.
And again he writes
If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
And then in another place he says
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

I do not call all dispensationalist antinomianist, never have never will.
In fact I didn't call anyone a antinomianist, now did I?

The Law is our moral compass, in fact most of the laws of the land have been framed by the Law of the Old Testament.
To try to simply dismiss those laws is being antinomianist by definition.

I would discuss Paul's comments that you brought up but I have already expressed my opinion of TRYING to discussing religion with you.
Something about playing chess with a pigeon. :mrgreen: