Dake Bible Discussion BoardPastor taking anti-depressants

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Re: Pastor taking anti-depressants

Post by victoryword »

Justaned wrote:I am not holding on to any thing. I don't even like clinical psychology but I dislike ignorance even more. .
Me too, which is why your posts can be so annoying.

First, I am talking about the textbook modern day psychology as we know it today:

http://psychology.about.com/od/historyo ... istory.htm

However, do you think that the theories of evolution started with Darwin? If you did, you are sadly mistaken. And, seeing that the Greeks had a version of psychology that was actually built upon PHILOSOPHY, it hurts your case even more to argue for it since we are told in Colossians 2 to stay away from empty philosophy. Finally, make up your mind what you want to argue. Do you want to argue for or against psychology? Also, do you want to keep showing your ignorance while pretending to be knowledgeable?

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote: Actually I do but I also have observed and know human nature and which one of us will say we can resist analyzing the another? In fact all of use a small amount of psychology every day in our dealings with people.
If we want people to agree with us we complement them, hold them up before others in a positive fashion, talk to them about subjects that they enjoy. Likewise if we want people to side with us we paint pictures of the adverse effects disagreeing will have on them.
When you preach you use a portion of psychology to catch and hold people's attention, to make the sermon interesting and meaningful to them. (Am told in your case a very small amount ... boring! :mrgreen: )

So to deny there isn't a merging of psychology and Biblical counseling is being less that truthful.

And it takes an experienced and well trained biblical counselor to know how not to slip into that mode as to prevent adverse effects.
Hi Ed,

You won't see it until you understand Biblical Counseling.

BUT you would NEVER find a true Biblical Counselor that would ever consider "a merging of psychology and Biblical counseling" as you say.

Above you said: "If we want people to agree with us we complement them, hold them up before others in a positive fashion, talk to them about subjects that they enjoy."

Hum... You must not want any of us to agree with you! :mrgreen:
Bibleman
Seriously??????

Everyone uses some psychology that is what makes the world spin. Every TV ad is psychology, even our car color and home address has a degree of psychology involved.The clothes we wear, the way we comb our hair, they way we talk, they way we move our hands.

As I said you use it in your sermons (though I'm told it doesn't work to the degree you desire. boring :mrgreen: )
In fact in the purest sense of the definition the very reason to engage in Christian counseling is rooted in psychology. So why are you trying to deny there is a blending and that depending on the experience and training of the person doing the Biblical counseling depends on how much it is used in the counsel of a person whether intentional or unintentional?

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

victoryword wrote:
Justaned wrote:I am not holding on to any thing. I don't even like clinical psychology but I dislike ignorance even more. .
Me too, which is why your posts can be so annoying.

First, I am talking about the textbook modern day psychology as we know it today:

http://psychology.about.com/od/historyo ... istory.htm

However, do you think that the theories of evolution started with Darwin? If you did, you are sadly mistaken. And, seeing that the Greeks had a version of psychology that was actually built upon PHILOSOPHY, it hurts your case even more to argue for it since we are told in Colossians 2 to stay away from empty philosophy. Finally, make up your mind what you want to argue. Do you want to argue for or against psychology? Also, do you want to keep showing your ignorance while pretending to be knowledgeable?

Oh come on why are you going on and on, did you even glance at the website I cited.
We were talking about taking medicine for depression and Bibleman jumped off on psychology to fog up the fact there are valid reasons for medicine. And you piled on because that is what you do. Now before you go any further down the road of ... read the website I cited.

Now how does Colossians 2 hurt my case. By the way what is my case? I already said clinical psychology is not my cup of tea. I sat in may Christian Counseling courses and the minute I could get out I did and I never looked back. To me it is psyco-babble and nothing more.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote: Actually I do but I also have observed and know human nature and which one of us will say we can resist analyzing the another? In fact all of use a small amount of psychology every day in our dealings with people.
If we want people to agree with us we complement them, hold them up before others in a positive fashion, talk to them about subjects that they enjoy. Likewise if we want people to side with us we paint pictures of the adverse effects disagreeing will have on them.
When you preach you use a portion of psychology to catch and hold people's attention, to make the sermon interesting and meaningful to them. (Am told in your case a very small amount ... boring! :mrgreen: )

So to deny there isn't a merging of psychology and Biblical counseling is being less that truthful.

And it takes an experienced and well trained biblical counselor to know how not to slip into that mode as to prevent adverse effects.
Hi Ed,

BUT you would NEVER find a true Biblical Counselor that would ever consider "a merging of psychology and Biblical counseling" as you say.

Above you said: "If we want people to agree with us we complement them, hold them up before others in a positive fashion, talk to them about subjects that they enjoy."

Bibleman
Seriously??????

Everyone uses some psychology that is what makes the world spin. Every TV ad is psychology, even our car color and home address has a degree of psychology involved.The clothes we wear, the way we comb our hair, they way we talk, they way we move our hands.

As I said you use it in your sermons (though I'm told it doesn't work to the degree you desire. boring :mrgreen: )
In fact in the purest sense of the definition the very reason to engage in Christian counseling is rooted in psychology. So why are you trying to deny there is a blending and that depending on the experience and training of the person doing the Biblical counseling depends on how much it is used in the counsel of a person whether intentional or unintentional?
Ed,

I deny it because Biblical counselors deny using psychology!

Jay Adams??? NO. and he is the father of the modern Biblical counseling movement.

Show me a Biblical counselor that uses psychology?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Hi Ed,

Bibleman
Seriously??????

Ed,

Jay Adams??? NO. and he is the father of the modern Biblical counseling movement.

Okay you win no body used psychology. Not the TV pitchman, not the person that arranges the display counters in the stores, not normal people by the clothing they choose to wear or what they say and how they act. And not by preachers by the words the chose to speak, and most of all Bibical counselors. In fact your kind of biblical counselor speak in monotones so as not to psychologically evoke any emotional response in their client/patient.

Now who says Jay Adams is the father of Christian Counseling. The presupposes men like Edwards, Wigglesworth, Warfield, Moody, Surgeon, Ravenhill, and anyone the preceded him didn't do Christian Counseling and I don't think even you would say that.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Hi Ed,

Bibleman
Seriously??????

Ed,

Okay you win no body used psychology. Not the TV pitchman, not the person that arranges the display counters in the stores, not normal people by the clothing they choose to wear or what they say and how they act. And not by preachers by the words the chose to speak, and most of all Bibical counselors. In fact your kind of biblical counselor speak in monotones so as not to psychologically evoke any emotional response in their client/patient.

Now who says Jay Adams is the father of Christian Counseling. The presupposes men like Edwards, Wigglesworth, Warfield, Moody, Surgeon, Ravenhill, and anyone the preceded him didn't do Christian Counseling and I don't think even you would say that.
Ed?

Who says Jay Adams is the father of Christian Counseling???

That makes me laugh. You would not say that if knew the least bit about Biblical Counseling.

Thankfully I have had the opportunity to study under him for a 13 week session.

PS - He leans Calvinist and doesn't believe in the gifts today like you. You would like him.
Dr. Jay Adams - Dr. Adams is the father of the modern Biblical counseling movement. He has been teaching and counseling for 50 years and has written most of the books that others use as texts. In fact, most of the other quality training opportunities are led by men who have studied under Dr. Adams and most of their curricula have been derived from Dr. Adams’ pioneering work. While Dr. Adams published his first book on Biblical counseling, Competent to Counsel, over forty years ago he remains the lead thinker, theologian, and philosopher of the movement. While Dr. Adams does not teach all of our courses he is the Dean of the Institute and oversees every aspect of our curriculum.

http://www.nouthetic.org/about-ins/why-study-with-ins

[image]http://www.nouthetic.org/images/People/Adams54.jpg[/image]

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Hi Ed,

Bibleman
Seriously??????

Ed,

Ed?

That makes me laugh. You would not say that if knew the least bit about Biblical Counseling.

PS - He leans Calvinist and doesn't believe in the gifts today like you. You would like him.
Dr. Jay Adams - Dr. Adams is the father of the modern Biblical counseling movement. He has been teaching and counseling for 50 years and has written most of the books that others use as texts. In fact, most of the other quality training opportunities are led by men who have studied under Dr. Adams and most of their curricula have been derived from Dr. Adams’ pioneering work. While Dr. Adams published his first book on Biblical counseling, Competent to Counsel, over forty years ago he remains the lead thinker, theologian, and philosopher of the movement. While Dr. Adams does not teach all of our courses he is the Dean of the Institute and oversees every aspect of our curriculum.

Snort That was the coffee coming out my nose. I'm convinced he is definitely the father of Christian Counseling and anyone before him was a mere piker. I mean after all he does have his picture on the internet below the word that declare him the father.

Sorry I hadn't realized you moved in such high intellectual circles before.

Wow! 13 whole weeks sure makes my 4 semesters look small. :mrgreen:

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Hi Ed,

Bibleman
Seriously??????

Ed,

Ed?

Snort That was the coffee coming out my nose. I'm convinced he is definitely the father of Christian Counseling and anyone before him was a mere piker. I mean after all he does have his picture on the internet below the word that declare him the father.

Sorry I hadn't realized you moved in such high intellectual circles before.

Wow! 13 whole weeks sure makes my 4 semesters look small. :mrgreen:
That was not my whole studies in Biblical Counseling, just my personal study time under the man himself!

Again, do a little research on him and you will see who he is.

Really an amazing man.

God bless
Leon Bible

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

He has a poor reputation with genuine Doctors and Psychiatrists and Psychologists .....my Doctor who heads OSU....and my Counselor say he and his kind are :neutral: :neutral:

HE IS A RELIGIOUS TEACHER.NOT A MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL.
NOT IN ANY WAY AN AUTHORIZED OR CERTIFIED AMA PSYCHOLOGIST A PSYCHIATRIST WHO IS AN ACTUAL DOCTOR WHO CAN PRESCRIBE MEDICATION.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

branham1965 wrote:He has a poor reputation with genuine Doctors and Psychiatrists and Psychologists .....my Doctor who heads OSU....and my Counselor say he and his kind are :neutral: :neutral:

HE IS A RELIGIOUS TEACHER.NOT A MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL.
NOT IN ANY WAY AN AUTHORIZED OR CERTIFIED AMA PSYCHOLOGIST A PSYCHIATRIST WHO IS AN ACTUAL DOCTOR WHO CAN PRESCRIBE MEDICATION.
So does Ernest Angley, Oral Roberts and anyone else who believes in the power of God!

God bless
Leon Bible