Dake Bible Discussion BoardPastor taking anti-depressants

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Pastor taking anti-depressants

Post by branham1965 »

i disagree about taking the meds.but im through getting mad and fussing. :agrue:

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

i agree with Pastor Bible about faith and believing God.

i disagree about medicine being wrong.

i never fussed in Warren.i was so happy.

it will be that way here.or ill get rid of this box.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

branham1965 wrote:i agree with Pastor Bible about faith and believing God.

Billy I NEVER said it was WRONG!

It just is NOT Victory, Overcoming, Leadership qualities to take anti-depressants... in the place of KEEPING YOUR MIND STAYED ON GOD!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note
branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

You are a Leader and Pastor .i am not.and i see what you are saying....

bibleman wrote:
branham1965 wrote:i agree with Pastor Bible about faith and believing God.

Billy I NEVER said it was WRONG!

It just is NOT Victory, Overcoming, Leadership qualities to take anti-depressants... in the place of KEEPING YOUR MIND STAYED ON GOD!

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Rocky wrote:Well maybe some depression can be a chemical imbalance that needs to be healed, but also some times I think what is the difference in taking pills to feel better emotionally than going out and getting some alcohol is not both just self medicating? So I have mixed feelings about all of this..
The question is: Did the chemical imbalance produce the bad behavior OR

Did the bad behavior produce the chemical imbalance?

Biblical Counselors believe that the bad behavior produced the chemical imbalance.

Thus the REAL cure is to change the bad behavior that produce the chemical imbalance.

This is the heart of TRUE Biblical counseling.
Having taken courses in Biblical counseling and having some dear dear friends that are Biblical counselors depression is not easily understood by a person that never experienced it. Yes some of it is brought on by stinking thinking, but some people are wired differently and no matter what they do they can't stop focusing on what is depressing them. This is when drugs can help. Certain drugs slow down the thought process to a point where the person can control their minds. Then through training and positive reinforcement they can learn to control their minds without help of drugs.

I get very very skeptical of counselors that counsel on the same things over and over. It is sort of like you have a problem with your car you take it in and mechanic works on it. However a few days later the problem is back. So you take it back and he works on it and again a few days later the problem is back, so once again you take it back. Most people will sooner or later take the car to another mechanic instead of going back and back and back. However in many instances of Biblical counseling the patient is seen returning over and over. I believe that is wrong.
There comes a time when it is time to try a different approach and often that approach does require medication.

Before we generalize and say every one just needs to change their thinking, or they need Biblical counseling, or whatever we need to consider the patient. Some times the only thing that will work is an approach we may not totally agree with.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Rocky wrote:Well maybe some depression can be a chemical imbalance that needs to be healed, but also some times I think what is the difference in taking pills to feel better emotionally than going out and getting some alcohol is not both just self medicating? So I have mixed feelings about all of this..

Biblical Counselors believe that the bad behavior produced the chemical imbalance.

Thus the REAL cure is to change the bad behavior that produce the chemical imbalance.

Having taken courses in Biblical counseling and having some dear dear friends that are Biblical counselors depression is not easily understood by a person that never experienced it. Yes some of it is brought on by stinking thinking, but some people are wired differently and no matter what they do they can't stop focusing on what is depressing them. This is when drugs can help. Certain drugs slow down the thought process to a point where the person can control their minds. Then through training and positive reinforcement they can learn to control their minds without help of drugs.

I get very very skeptical of counselors that counsel on the same things over and over. It is sort of like you have a problem with your car you take it in and mechanic works on it. However a few days later the problem is back. So you take it back and he works on it and again a few days later the problem is back, so once again you take it back. Most people will sooner or later take the car to another mechanic instead of going back and back and back. However in many instances of Biblical counseling the patient is seen returning over and over. I believe that is wrong.
There comes a time when it is time to try a different approach and often that approach does require medication.

Before we generalize and say every one just needs to change their thinking, or they need Biblical counseling, or whatever we need to consider the patient. Some times the only thing that will work is an approach we may not totally agree with.
Ed,

When the Bible no longer works then there is no God!

Besides, I don't think you know the difference in Biblical counseling and Christian counseling.

Do you?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note
Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:

Ed,

When the Bible no longer works then there is no God!

Besides, I don't think you know the difference in Biblical counseling and Christian counseling.

Do you?
Well perhaps not it seems that definitions come and go around here. What is the difference?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

bibleman wrote:

I see what you are saying. So you don't believe that mental disorders could possibly be neurological disorders and maybe its just not a behavior issue? Now of course I believe that the Lord can heal any disorder or disease weather it is physical or mental. But I have seen churches advise people with mental disorders such and manic depression or even schizophrenia or some kind of psychosis to get off medication, then that individual progressively got worse. Ever heard of Andrea Yates ? Maybe we should not be advising people to get off their medications unless we are sure it is not a neurological disorder/disease, and not just a behavior issue.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

Rocky wrote:
bibleman wrote:

I see what you are saying. So you don't believe that mental disorders could possibly be neurological disorders and maybe its just not a behavior issue? Now of course I believe that the Lord can heal any disorder or disease weather it is physical or mental. But I have seen churches advise people with mental disorders such and manic depression or even schizophrenia or some kind of psychosis to get off medication, then that individual progressively got worse. Ever heard of Andrea Yates ? Maybe we should not be advising people to get off their medications unless we are sure it is not a neurological disorder/disease, and not just a behavior issue.

go back and reread to first post Rocky,
Its about leaders and God's anointing for that position. God has set some in the church.....those He has set are equiped by God through the anionting for the Job.
Its not about sick people who need help from where ever they can get help.

If we, as a Pastor or teacher, or Prophet etc depend on the world for ability to minister in that calling then, we are fakes and are usurping the role of
God apointed people in the body of Christ.

macca

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

macca wrote:
Rocky wrote:
bibleman wrote:

go back and reread to first post Rocky,
Its about leaders and God's anointing for that position. God has set some in the church.....those He has set are equiped by God through the anionting for the Job.
Its not about sick people who need help from where ever they can get help.

If we, as a Pastor or teacher, or Prophet etc depend on the world for ability to minister in that calling then, we are fakes and are usurping the role of
God apointed people in the body of Christ.

macca
Agreed :angel: