Dake Bible Discussion BoardBeatitude truths

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Beatitude truths

Post by Justaned »

Beatitudes Matthew 5:3-10 (NKJV)
3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

How do you look at these? I think we all see them as Christian qualities. But do we see them
1. As 8 different qualities thatdifferent Christians may possess?
2. As 8 steps in a Christian's life as they mature in Christ?

I will tell you I held to both views at different times. Let us talk about them if you want. If you don't want to and just want to tell me I'm wrong, let me save you the trouble. "I'm wrong!" But for those that would like to discuss them let us.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Beatitude truths

Post by Justaned »

Let me start
Let us look at the word "Blessed". The word Blessed is translated from the Greek word Makarios, which meant an inward contentedness that is not effected from external situations and circumstances. It is the kind of happiness God desires for us, a state of joy and well being that is not dependent on external situations, pressures, or circumstance Phil 4:11-13

It is a actually a characteristic of God David shows us this in Ps 68:35 as did Solomon in Ps 72:18. Paul declared it of God in 1 Tim 1:11 and of Jesus in 1 Tim 6:15.

Blessedness being a characteristic of God can only be realized in man as they share in the nature of God.

Any thought opinions comments???

Ray

Post by Ray »

Justaned wrote:Beatitudes Matthew 5:3-10 (NKJV)
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

How do you look at these? I think we all see them as Christian qualities. But do we see them

I will tell you I held to both views at different times. Let us talk about them if you want. If you don't want to and just want to tell me I'm wrong, let me save you the trouble. "I'm wrong!" But for those that would like to discuss them let us.

Ed,

I Believe all 8 of the traits of the "Blessed" come to all who a Sanctified By The HOLY SPIRIT, I also believe the 8 rewards mentioned are all One and the same as They are all parts of The Kingdom OF GOD.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Ray wrote:

Ed,

I Believe all 8 of the traits of the "Blessed" come to all who a Sanctified By The HOLY SPIRIT, I also believe the 8 rewards mentioned are all One and the same as They are all parts of The Kingdom OF GOD.

I wonder how many others see it as 8 traits of a Christian rather than 8 qualities that different Christians may possess?

What do you think of the definition I provided for the word Makarios? Anything to add?

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

This is going well glad to see all the serious Bible Scholars jumping in.

Okay we looked at Makarios Blessed now let us see what poor in spirit mean.

The word translated poor here is a unique word it means humble and begging poor. Remember the widow that gave her last mite in the offering? She was not this poor because she still had something to give. To be as poor as this verse means is to have absolutely nothing, nothing to give, nothing to offer. So to be poor is spirit is saying that the person recognizes their spiritual poverty apart from God. It is to see oneself as one really is: lost, hopeless, helpless.

The point of this first beatitude is that the poor in spirit are those that recognize their complete dependence on God, without Him they have total spiritual destitution. They know that in themselves there is no saving resources and they can only beg for mercy and grace.

Using the terms as Jesus did also conveys a genuine recognition of spiritual poverty. It is an result of true humility it is the type of person spoken about in Isaiah 66:2 (NKJV) ... "But on this one will I look: On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit, And who trembles at My word. Also there Psalm 34:18 (NKJV)
18 The LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit. Psalm 51:17 (NKJV)
17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, A broken and a contrite heart-- These, O God, You will not despise.

Jesus mentions humility first because without a humble spirit we can not find God. It is not until a soul is humbled that Christ becomes dear. Up until then Jesus is obscured by our self. Unless you know how helpless, worthless and sinful you are you will never be able to see how mighty, worthy and glorious Christ is. Until we see our own poverty we can't see God's riches. This is the first step in salvation. A humble, broken and begging spirit that knows without God we have nothing.

This is where many miss it. In church today we hear little about humility, of emptying ourselves of everything so we can be filled with God. Instead many churches teach on self realization, how to be realize happiness, how to be all we can be type messages and nothing on humility, emptiness, and needing God to fill the void that nothing else will fill.

How do we get this humility? Not by putting ourselves down, that would be a work on our part and not how true salvation comes. To have this humility we have to first look at God and realize all that He has that we lack. His holiness, His righteousness, His mercy, His grace.

Next we need to realize flesh desires from spiritual desires. Flesh always looks at the outward or physical things. Spiritual desires always seeks more of God. Too many today seek worldly pleasures and even attend churches that promise worldly reward instead of focusing on spiritual rewards.

The next step is realizing we need humility and asking God for it. Too many times we try man's formulas, man's ideas, man's wisdom and never go to the one that has promised to give us what we seek. We must ask God to give us a humble spirit so that He can then bless us.

Any thoughts? Comments?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I find this subject interesting, some how this is first time I have seen this thread. But anyway, I believe these are characteristics, promises and rewards for the Christian condition And some are prophetic. I also ironically love how the catechism defines these:
1717 The Beatitudes depict the countenance of Jesus Christ and portray his charity. They express the vocation of the faithful associated with the glory of his Passion and Resurrection; they shed light on the actions and attitudes characteristic of the Christian life; they are the paradoxical promises that sustain hope in the midst of tribulations; they proclaim the blessings and rewards already secured

cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

Post by cpbeller »

several years ago, I began a study on the Beatitudes..."Keys for Christian Living". (Actually, the study was over the entire Sermon on the Mount) It was over 15 years ago when I began the study, and it has moved to the fore-front of my Christian studies, and moved to the back-burner on different occassions.

I believe, personally, and simply put, that these should be seen in the Christian's life more and more as the Christian becomes more Christ-like. I do not believe they are "8 steps", or are for different Christians. I believe that the mature Christian's life will reveal each one, and more-so as they continue to walk in the Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

cpbeller wrote:several years ago, I began a study on the Beatitudes..."Keys for Christian Living". (Actually, the study was over the entire Sermon on the Mount) It was over 15 years ago when I began the study, and it has moved to the fore-front of my Christian studies, and moved to the back-burner on different occassions.

I believe, personally, and simply put, that these should be seen in the Christian's life more and more as the Christian becomes more Christ-like. I do not believe they are "8 steps", or are for different Christians. I believe that the mature Christian's life will reveal each one, and more-so as they continue to walk in the Spirit.
Chris
I like how you put it this. If I may paraphrase they are 8 qualities seen in a mature Christian's life. Think that is what you were saying. I agree but I also believe they are progressive and build upon each other.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Okay let us finish up with verse 3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

We have looked a Blessed and it meaning, almost entirely different than what carnal man thinks of when he thinks blessed. The blessed spoken of here is a characteristic of God and means contentedness in all things. Then we looked at poor saying it wasn't just like being not being able to buy what we want be more like having nothing. And to be poor in spirit means we humbly realize we have nothing to offer God, nothing of righteousness, nothing of holiness and we must humbly come to God to receive those things which we need oh so badly.

Now the last part of this verse says their is the kingdom of heaven. What this is saying if we humble ourselves in the sight of the Lord he will lift us up. God is willing to give the kingdom to those humble enough to received it. for this is God's way Isaiah 57:15 (NKJV)
15 For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
When we give up our kingdom the poor in spirit inherit God's

Any thoughts? Any comments?

Surely someone has something to add, to comment on.

If not on to verse 4

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

And to be poor in spirit means we humbly realize we have nothing to offer God, nothing of righteousness, nothing of holiness and we must humbly come to God to receive those things which we need oh so badly.
That is really good Ed. :angel: Almost like we are spiritually bankrupt without humility..