Dake Bible Discussion BoardWho is in control?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Who is in control?

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:
At one time I might have agreed with you. Having been a professor of theology for the 20 years of the last 30 or so it would have been easy to look at the Bible as a text book. However as I read it I discovered God's love on every page, in every paragraph and sentence. It is so much more than a mere text book. It is God revealing Himself to us. We tend to focus in on things that aren't quite clear, seem confusing, are seen as demanding and controlling and miss the essence of what God is saying.
Hmm Lets see here. Murder, rape, Body dismemberment, Fallen angels having relations with human women, Hell, Wars, plagues, People getting disemboweled, Gods Judgment, I don't know Ed the bible can be very dark at times.. Oh And I never said it was just a text book.
Almost every heated discussion on scripture is generated from a passage whose intent was something completely different than the subject being discussed. Example we argue over Noah's ark, whether is was large enough, physically able to hold all the animals, wonder what happened to all the waste and miss the truth that God loved creation enough to preserve it rather than starting all over and creating new. But most importantly to honor the promise made to Adam and Eve about the Messiah.
Well I never really get into those types of arguements
Many times people wield the Bible as a slashing sword, shredding people leaving behind hurt and broken people. When in fact it was meant to be highly delicate scalpel given to us so we could carefully cut away the impediments of this physical realm to prepare us to enjoy the supernatural or spiritual realities we are soon to experience.
Huh? Why did I just get a picture of this:
No it is not a text book but as I said a love letter written by the Father to his children.
So the Bible is a Love Letter? Could you explain this to me?
No I'm afraid I can't, not because I am unable to express it to others but rather I'm haven't found a way to convey truth to people that are dead set in the ideas of others and refuse to do any critical thinking of their own.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Ed Wrote: Frankly I think you tend to approach scripture as a technical textbook rather than a love letter designed to guide us to full relationship with God.
A love letter? I disagree some what. Ed I have gotten this thrown at me before. One time while at work a preacher and I were discussing women preachers and hair, he believed that A woman was not allowed to preach or even talk in church and it was a sin for her to cut her hair. I showed him context and he said the same thing but he added that I am to intellectual and I need to interpret scripture more spiritually. The fact is the Bible is a textbook, mind you a inspired textbook. This may seem weird to you to point this out but the definition of the word text book is: a book used as a standard work for the study of a particular subject.
Now what does the bible say about itself :All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
A love letter? Maybe but more so an inspired textbook revealing God's redemptive plan from man. I read and study the bible to understand doctrine and for instruction, for theology, spirituality and intellectually.. I believe to call the bible a love letter is doing it an injustice.
At one time I might have agreed with you. Having been a professor of theology for the 20 years of the last 30 or so it would have been easy to look at the Bible as a text book. However as I read it I discovered God's love on every page, in every paragraph and sentence. It is so much more than a mere text book. It is God revealing Himself to us. We tend to focus in on things that aren't quite clear, seem confusing, are seen as demanding and controlling and miss the essence of what God is saying.

Almost every heated discussion on scripture is generated from a passage whose intent was something completely different than the subject being discussed. Example we argue over Noah's ark, whether is was large enough, physically able to hold all the animals, wonder what happened to all the waste and miss the truth that God loved creation enough to preserve it rather than starting all over and creating new. But most importantly to honor the promise made to Adam and Eve about the Messiah.

I shutter when someone uses a parable to support a concept that the parable was not intended to address, while many times is does support other doctrines, ideas and precepts the parable itself was designed as a life illustration to us.

Many times people wield the Bible as a slashing sword, shredding people leaving behind hurt and broken people. When in fact it was meant to be highly delicate scalpel given to us so we could carefully cut away the impediments of this physical realm to prepare us to enjoy the supernatural or spiritual realities we are soon to experience.

No it is not a text book but as I said a love letter written by the Father to his children.

Hi Ed,

Above you said: "However as I read it I discovered God's love on every page, in every paragraph and sentence."

1 Chronicles 1:14 The Jebusite also, and the Amorite, and the Girgashite,

Where is God's love in that sentence?

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

To others that may want to think about what I said. I say the Bible is a love letter written by the father to his beloved children. I have been asked how could this be with the mention of wars, rapes, murder and death.
If we just focus on those things we can lose sight of what God is telling us. God has declared himself not God of the dead but God of the living. Not of the unjust but of the just. Not of unmerciful but of the merciful. Not of the unrighteous but of the righteous.

How would we ever understand that unless God in His love and wisdom revealed the contrast. One could paint the most beautiful picture using charcoal but if he did it on black paper no one would ever see the beauty he portrayed. It isn't until the artist provides contrast of white paper that true beauty of the charcoal picture can be seen and appreciated.

Many times God has to allow us to see the contrasts of this earth compared to the beauty of heaven to see the true beauty of the place a loving God has designed for us. Remember Adam and Eve understood and saw the beauty of God's creation without the contrast of evil and they decided that it was nothing worth keeping. So God who loves us dearly provides that contrast both in our lives and in His letter of love to us so we can fully appreciate what is we are comparing.

But even now it falls on deaf ears as people try to convince themselves they can have heaven on earth if their faith is strong enough, if they are able to speak it into existence and imagine it in their minds. Many see heaven in money, others see heaven in health, some seek heaven in fame but the fact is heaven can only be realized when we are in the spiritual presence of God. While we are yet trapped in the these earth suit of our own ambitions and design that can not happen. But one day when our service to God is completed here on earth and God calls us home we will understand and see for ourselves what God has been telling us in such a loving and caring way.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Ed Wrote: Frankly I think you tend to approach scripture as a technical textbook rather than a love letter designed to guide us to full relationship with God.
A love letter? I disagree some what. Ed I have gotten this thrown at me before. One time while at work a preacher and I were discussing women preachers and hair, he believed that A woman was not allowed to preach or even talk in church and it was a sin for her to cut her hair. I showed him context and he said the same thing but he added that I am to intellectual and I need to interpret scripture more spiritually. The fact is the Bible is a textbook, mind you a inspired textbook. This may seem weird to you to point this out but the definition of the word text book is: a book used as a standard work for the study of a particular subject.
Now what does the bible say about itself :All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
A love letter? Maybe but more so an inspired textbook revealing God's redemptive plan from man. I read and study the bible to understand doctrine and for instruction, for theology, spirituality and intellectually.. I believe to call the bible a love letter is doing it an injustice.

I shutter when someone uses a parable to support a concept that the parable was not intended to address, while many times is does support other doctrines, ideas and precepts the parable itself was designed as a life illustration to us.

Hi Ed,

Above you said: "However as I read it I discovered God's love on every page, in every paragraph and sentence."

I'm am not a Jebusite, Amorite, Girgashite. By God's mercy and love I am adopted into His family. That to me is love.
What is it to you?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Hi Ed,

I'm am not a Jebusite, Amorite, Girgashite. By God's mercy and love I am adopted into His family. That to me is love.
What is it to you?
I did not see one word about God's love in that sentence.

You said it was there....

Where is it?

God bless
Leon Bible

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note
Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Hi Ed,

What is it to you?

Where is it?

Oh it is there if you can't see it then perhaps you aren't looking at it right. Your view might of one that sees scripture as a text book rather than a love letter.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi Ed, so are you saying that the Bible is not something were we get Doctrine, instruction, correction? But I do get what you are saying, yes Gods love is shown with in the pages, Gods lays out his redemptive plan for man. But saying it is a love letter only seems very cliché, and I believe can cause some to over algoricalize the scriptures. We Christian are very good at cliche sayings that really don't make any sense. That is why I ask you to explain what you meant by that.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:Hi Ed, so are you saying that the Bible is not something were we get Doctrine, instruction, correction? But I do get what you are saying, yes Gods love is shown with in the pages, Gods lays out his redemptive plan for man. But saying it is a love letter only seems very cliché, and I believe can cause some to over algoricalize the scriptures. We Christian are very good at cliche sayings that really don't make any sense. That is why I ask you to explain what you meant by that.

Rocky
Why try to take everything I say to an extreme? Of course I did not say Scripture is not a source of doctrine, instruction, correction. Perhaps saying the Bible is love letter is cliche, and the first time I heard it many years ago I thought so too. I didn't understand what the person was telling. He was a seminarian and I thought he was perhaps goofy. However now after many years of observations I came to see how many people handle scripture instead of living scripture and I understood what he was telling me. That is when my perception of scripture changed radically.

Scripture is alive and unless it becomes a living part of us we miss most of the benefit scripture contains.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Hi Ed,

What is it to you?

Where is it?

Oh it is there if you can't see it then perhaps you aren't looking at it right. Your view might of one that sees scripture as a text book rather than a love letter.
HI ed,

No - it has nothing to do with it.

There is no word - l o v e in that sentence.

Anyone can plainly see that!

You are doing what is called "reading into the text what you want to be there."

This is one of the reasons you have such a problem with Biblical understanding.

God bless
Leon Bible

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote: HI ed,

No - it has nothing to do with it.

There is no word - l o v e in that sentence.

Anyone can plainly see that!

You are doing what is called "reading into the text what you want to be there."

This is one of the reasons you have such a problem with Biblical understanding.
Perhaps you are right but I don't think so because I can plainly see the L-O-V-E in that verse. Perhaps you need to ask Jesus to adjust your sight. In fact having dealt with you I would ask Jesus of a complete adjustment to your body, heart and spirit asking Him to pay particular attention to attitude adjustments. :mrgreen: