Dake Bible Discussion BoardHEBREWS 10:26-27

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Rocky

Re: HEBREWS 10:26-27

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote: word backslider is not in scripture that is a term made up by preachers.
Jeremiah 14:7 - O LORD, though our iniquities testify against us, do thou [it] for thy name's sake: for our backslidings are many; we have sinned against thee.

Jeremiah 3:12 - Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; [and] I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I [am] merciful, saith the LORD, [and] I will not keep [anger] for ever.

Jeremiah 8:5 - Why [then] is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.

Jeremiah 3:22 - Return, ye backsliding children, [and] I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou [art] the LORD our God.

Proverbs 14:14 - The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man [shall be satisfied] from himself.

Hosea 11:7 - And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt [him].

Jeremiah 2:19 - Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that [it is] an evil [thing] and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear [is] not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.

Jeremiah 3:14 - Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Hosea 14:4 - I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

Jeremiah 3:8 - And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Jeremiah 3:11 - And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.

Hosea 4:16 - For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place.

There are countless others but it would make this thread really long.. Backsliding according to any LexiConc means :turning away, turning back, apostasy, backsliding

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote: word backslider is not in scripture that is a term made up by preachers.
Jeremiah 14:7 - O LORD, though our iniquities testify against us, do thou [it] for thy name's sake: for our backslidings are many; we have sinned against thee.

Jeremiah 3:12 - Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; [and] I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I [am] merciful, saith the LORD, [and] I will not keep [anger] for ever.

Jeremiah 8:5 - Why [then] is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return.

Jeremiah 3:22 - Return, ye backsliding children, [and] I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou [art] the LORD our God.

Proverbs 14:14 - The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man [shall be satisfied] from himself.

Hosea 11:7 - And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt [him].

Jeremiah 2:19 - Thine own wickedness shall correct thee, and thy backslidings shall reprove thee: know therefore and see that [it is] an evil [thing] and bitter, that thou hast forsaken the LORD thy God, and that my fear [is] not in thee, saith the Lord GOD of hosts.

Jeremiah 3:14 - Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Hosea 14:4 - I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.

Jeremiah 3:8 - And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

Jeremiah 3:11 - And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah.

Hosea 4:16 - For Israel slideth back as a backsliding heifer: now the LORD will feed them as a lamb in a large place.

There are countless others but it would make this thread really long.. Backsliding according to any LexiConc means :turning away, turning back, apostasy, backsliding

You are exactly right I misspoke. It is used 17 times in 17 verse in the NKJV. What I meant to say was it is not used in the New Testament. Since Jesus the term was never used again in scripture.

I'm glad you brought up the Lexicon definition which says it means apostasy I think that is what everyone says these verses are addressing apostasy. So it means far more than simply committing a sin of omission it means to enter into apostasy.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

You are exactly right I misspoke. It is used 17 times in 17 verse in the NKJV. What I meant to say was it is not used in the New Testament. Since Jesus the term was never used again in scripture.

I'm glad you brought up the Lexicon definition which says it means apostasy I think that is what everyone says these verses are addressing apostasy. So it means far more than simply committing a sin of omission it means to enter into apostasy.

I could agree to that. But I do think we have a different views on what backsliding is. I believe that backsliding and total apostasy are to different things but both are lost. One can be restored but the other may not be able to. I do agree with Dakes note on this more than your take on it though. And yes, it is in the old testament but it is also addressed in the new as well. I knew you were going to say that when I posted it +wink

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

I could agree to that. But I do think we have a different views on what backsliding is. I believe that backsliding and total apostasy are to different things but both are lost. One can be restored but the other may not be able to. I do agree with Dakes note on this more than your take on it though. And yes, it is in the old testament but it is also addressed in the new as well. I knew you were going to say that when I posted it +wink
Where is it addressed in the New Testament. Becareful it must say you sinned and lost your salvation without going into apostasy. As that is definition of backsliding as used by preachers that love to use the term.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Where is it addressed in the New Testament. Becareful it must say you sinned and lost your salvation without going into apostasy. As that is definition of backsliding as used by preachers that love to use the term.
Well I do believe the prodigal son shows, this and a lot of the scriptures. But I know you don't believe that. Now I do agree with you that Salvation is not lost one minute and retained again in another minute. Before I quote a bunch of scriptures let me explain. I Do believe if a Christian goes into a perpetual sin that is backsliding, I know plenty of Christian that did this, And yes I know you will say they were not saved in the first place, but I am saying they were saved and believed in a biblical sense and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and was Baptized and lived a Christian life for years, went back in to sinful a lifestyle and repented and came back. As Dake believes, I believe that is backsliding. Then there is apostasy a reprobate who maybe can't come back. But I could be wrong, I don't know it all. But I believe what my church teaches concerning this, and I respect the authority of the church and what I have been taught, I know, how unprotestant of me to submit to authority right lol, But I do know there is such a thing as a Christian going back into sin and then coming back, I have seen it.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

Well I do believe the prodigal son shows, this and a lot of the scriptures. But I know you don't believe that. Now I do agree with you that Salvation is not lost one minute and retained again in another minute. Before I quote a bunch of scriptures let me explain. I Do believe if a Christian goes into a perpetual sin that is backsliding, I know plenty of Christian that did this, And yes I know you will say they were not saved in the first place, but I am saying they were saved and believed in a biblical sense and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and was Baptized and lived a Christian life for years, went back in to sinful a lifestyle and repented and came back. As Dake believes, I believe that is backsliding. Then there is apostasy a reprobate who maybe can't come back. But I could be wrong, I don't know it all. But I believe what my church teaches concerning this, and I respect the authority of the church and what I have been taught, I know, how unprotestant of me to submit to authority right lol, But I do know there is such a thing as a Christian going back into sin and then coming back, I have seen it.
rocky
You are putting experience ahead of scripture. First you have no way of knowing if someone is saved. Second you don't know what these people felt in their heart before, during and after the sin. And you don't know if these people are saved now. You can say you believe but that is far different than knowing.

There was a time when I said the sinners prayer and meant it and I thought I was saved. I then walked away from God and religion but there were things I would not do. For instance I would not use the Lord's name in vain. Some people would say that is a small thing but It was something I would not do. I then got saved. I now know I was not saved before, I believed in God in Jesus in fact I would have gone to the stake I believe rather than to deny Christ.
But
I never made Jesus my Lord. I still controlled my life. I now know I was never saved. Thought 99.9 percent of the preachers in this land would say I was. I wasn't. My belief in Christ was head knowledge it was never in my heart.

Scripture says if a saved person willfully sins they enter into apostasy from which there is no return. I believe that. Therefore I believe a saved person would never willfully put themselves in that position.

So to me your experience contradicts scripture and I will reject it and hold to scripture.

The prodigal son to me is not talking of a Christian that walks away but rather as us children of sin that have walked away from their father and then returned to God. The story is to show God does not favor us less than those that never left to sow wild oats, that God loves all His children the same.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:
Justaned wrote:
Rocky wrote:

rocky
You are putting experience ahead of scripture. First you have no way of knowing if someone is saved. Second you don't know what these people felt in their heart before, during and after the sin. And you don't know if these people are saved now. You can say you believe but that is far different than knowing.

There was a time when I said the sinners prayer and meant it and I thought I was saved. I then walked away from God and religion but there were things I would not do. For instance I would not use the Lord's name in vain. Some people would say that is a small thing but It was something I would not do. I then got saved. I now know I was not saved before, I believed in God in Jesus in fact I would have gone to the stake I believe rather than to deny Christ.
But
I never made Jesus my Lord. I still controlled my life. I now know I was never saved. Thought 99.9 percent of the preachers in this land would say I was. I wasn't. My belief in Christ was head knowledge it was never in my heart.

Scripture says if a saved person willfully sins they enter into apostasy from which there is no return. I believe that. Therefore I believe a saved person would never willfully put themselves in that position.

So to me your experience contradicts scripture and I will reject it and hold to scripture.

The prodigal son to me is not talking of a Christian that walks away but rather as us children of sin that have walked away from their father and then returned to God. The story is to show God does not favor us less than those that never left to sow wild oats, that God loves all His children the same.
Yeah I understand your take on this, I just disagree. A lot of Baptist believe as you do as well, I disagree with them also. And I don't believe those experiences contradict scripture. Only if it is interpreted the way you interpret it. Which personally, as you know I believe is wrong. And all sin is willfully done, all sin may not be premeditated, but a man is drawn away by his own lust and entice. I would say your view of backsliding is definitely a minority one and unorthodox, . I only really see it in the Baptist denomination. Even John said if we confess our sins he will cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Remember this is written to believers. So this is hinted that a Christian can lose favor and grace and go into unrighteousness and then can be cleansed of the unrighteousness then in turn contradict you interpretation of the scripture you used for this thread. Also you view on the prodigal son is very unorthodox as well, just sayin.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

This post has been beaten to death for YEARS.

THE AMOUNT OF LIGHT ONE HAS FROM THE WORD OF GOD WILL CAUSE MORE STRIPES OR LESS STRIPES TO BE GIVEN A PERSON.SO SAID JESUS HIMSELF.

the Corinthian fornicator.the person repented and was RESTORED.

those spoken of in Galatians 6:1 were restored.

the Risen Glorified King Our Lord Jesus Christ says in the letter to Thyatira REV 2:20-23.

"BUT I HAVE THIS AGAINST YOU,THAT YOU TOLERATE THE WOMAN JEZEBEL ,WHO CALLS HERSELF A PROPHETESS,AND SHE TEACHES AND LEADS MY BOND SERVANTS ASTRAY,SO THAT THEY COMMIT ACTS OF IMMORALITY AND EAT THINGS SACRIFICED TO IDOLS.
" AND I GAVE HER TIME TO REPENT .....BUT SHE DID NOT REPENT.... OF HER IMMORALITY.BEHOLD I WILL CAST HER ON A BED OF SICKNESS AND THOSE WHO COMMIT ADULTERY WITH HER INTO GREAT TRIBULATION,UNLESS THEY REPENT OF THEIR DEEDS.AND I WILL K-I-L-L HER CHILDREN WITH PESTILENCES AND ALL THE CHURCHES WILL KNOW THAT I AM HE THAT WHO SEARCHES THE MINDS AND HEARTS ;AND I WILL GIVE TO EACH ONE OF YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR DEEDS."

Watchman2013
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by Watchman2013 »

The Word of God is just, as is The Father God. He holds us responsible for what we know of Him, and His Word. The more we are cognizant of His Word, the more responsible we are to obey and follow it. The Precious Holy Spirit illuminates our way, and makes our paths straight. Without knowledge and experience of God's Word, we tend to err, and perhaps, fall into ditches. We, as Christians, must be diligent, to learn the ways of God, lest we fall into error. That's why, when we sin, the Holy Spirit convicts us. We confess that sin, repent, and ask God's forgiveness. As we grow in The Lord, and His Word, we sin less, and become more Holy, as He is Holy. Would that we could spring-up from the waters of Baptism, perfect, Holy, and never to sin again... If you have, more power to you. In all honesty, I've never seen the like, but with God, all things are possible...

Think deeply, and ask The Spirit of the Living God, if this is not true. People make errors in judgement, because they are still human, and because their minds and flesh still have to conform to the Word and Spirit of God. Faith is a muscle, and must be used to grow in strength. Likewise, a Christian grows in grace- God's Grace, by seeking to be like Him, trying to please Him. Does this mean that if a Christian makes an error, he's damned forever, to the Lake of Fire? NO! Life, especially as a Christian, is a learning process, that continues until one stands in God's Throne Room, in His Presence...

You do err in so swiftly condemning others, and yet you also err in the understanding of the Spirit of God, and The Word of God... As The Lord remonstrated those that washed the outside of the pot, but not its insides, so do you err in judging others. Judging is God's purview- not Man's. God knows the heart of every Man. Neither you, nor I, are privy to such knowledge. I praise God, that He decides who He will reward or punish, for I know that I am not fit to do so. I am a sinner, saved by God's Grace. It is by His Grace, that I live, move, and have my being... What good I do, is to His Glory, Honor, and Credit. The souls I won to Him, are His increase- and have no bearing upon how He sees me, for every day is new, and it is what I do now that concerns Him.

Be not deceived. God is not mocked, and He is a jealous God. Do not attempt to do what is His domain, His authority, His sovereign right... The things of God, are His... Look back at what Reverend Dake says God cannot do- and be aware of just how much that God can, and will, do in His own interests... We have no idea what He can, or will do, that is not against what He established... He IS God, and He is righteous, Holy, and Pure... Don't ever limit Him, for that is a human trait, and God is NOT a Man, that He should lie...

I thank God, that He IS God, and upon His mighty shoulders, the future of the universe rests in His authority... Whatever He deems right and proper, whatever He wants done, that's what I want too- whatever it is...
I'm more than content to let Him decide who will enter His gates with thanksgiving and praise... He is, after all, Our Creator...

Maranatha

Watchman2013

"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.