Dake Bible Discussion BoardBaptizing Homosexuals

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
pastor stroup
Joshua

Baptizing Homosexuals

Post by pastor stroup »

Hello Dake Bible Board Members,

I have a question for you all and would appreciate your input and wisdom.

Today my wife and I were asked if we would baptize a lesbian couple. They really liked us when they met us in public and it really spoke to them about how caring we were. The woman asked today if we would object to baptizing her. We are the Pastors of our church so that's why she asked us. I understand what scripture says about this preference but always want to seek counsel outside of my own thoughts. Thanks for your help with this matter.

In Jesus,

Pastor David Stroup
http://www.verticalchurchok.com
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Baptizing Homosexuals

Post by Justaned »

pastor stroup wrote:Hello Dake Bible Board Members,

Today my wife and I were asked if we would baptize a lesbian couple. They really liked us when they met us in public and it really spoke to them about how caring we were. The woman asked today if we would object to baptizing her. We are the Pastors of our church so that's why she asked us. I understand what scripture says about this preference but always want to seek counsel outside of my own thoughts. Thanks for your help with this matter.
Wow

I believe baptism is a unique privilege of the born again believer and was commanded by the teaching of Jesus and His disciples. That being the case I think the next question is can a couple living in rebellion to God's commands be considered christian. Jesus said if you love me obey my commands. So I think the answer is while they can express a love for Christ they have not made Him Lord in their lives thus they can't be truly saved and should not be baptized as though they were.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

pastor stroup wrote:Hello Dake Bible Board Members,

NO, Baptism is for Christians only.
Matthew 3:6 (AMP) And they were baptized in the Jordan by him, confessing their sins.
7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming for baptism, he said to them, You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee and escape from the wrath and indignation [of God against disobedience] that is coming?
8 Bring forth fruit that is consistent with repentance [let your lives prove your change of heart];
A practicing homosexual has NOT confessed their sins.
A practicing homosexual is NOT attempting to escape the wrath of God!
A practicing homosexual has NOT fruit that is consistent with repentance!
A practicing homosexual has NOT proved that their heart has been chanced.

So there is no way that a homosexual can be baptized in water UNTIL the repent and forsake their sin. This would apply to all those who are committing any of the sins that the Bible condemns in the life of mankind.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note
Watchman2013
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by Watchman2013 »

Concur with Justaned and Bibleman.

If you baptize this "couple" you are, yourself, in rebellion to, and with, God...

Frankly, I'm amazed this question took any thought at all....

Maranatha

Watchman2013

"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

Pastor, I commend you for your desire to reach out to homosexuals in love. Obviously if they like you then they don't see you as condemning.

However, Paul told us that we must speak the TRUTH in love. My love for my children is what kept me warning them about the dangers of sin and why we all as parents discipline our children when they disobey. Every loving parent explains to their children the need for discipline and why they do it because they love them and why they are to be denied certain privileges when they are not obedient. We set boundaries in our homes and out of love.

What I am saying is that in love for this "couple" they must be made aware of the danger they pose to themselves - both temporal and eternal - by continuing in such a lifestyle. Denying them baptism is part of that sound warning because Jesus cannot be identified with a continuing sinful practice. Of course this should be done with love, remembering that we were all once sinners who needed repentance. Jesus' words to the woman caught in adultery was not, "Go back to the man you were committing adultery with" but "sin no more". THough He did not condemn her, He did warn her not to do it again.

Watchman2013

Post by Watchman2013 »

Beautifully put, Victoryword. Thank-you for your "better way" of putting the truth...

Maranatha

Watchman2013

"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
scottae316

Post by scottae316 »

As all have said, the answer is no. If you decide not to Baptism them, explain the reasons why. Explain that your belief is that their lifestyle is a sin, just like an adulterer, thief, liar, or any other sinner. You would not Baptize an unrepentant adulterer, thief, liar or and unrepentant sinner. Tell them you love them and want to keep the relationship, but you cannot Baptize them.

pastor stroup
Joshua

Post by pastor stroup »

I appreciate everyone's input and like I stated, I understand what scripture says concerning this subject and I think it is totally acceptable to ask any question in here because "frankly" that is what this site is for. I wasn't questioning the Word, just asking a question. You have all been very helpful. Sometimes it is good to think beyond your own thoughts and to have the help of other believers in knowing what to say or how to respond. I appreciate everyone's replies and I am grateful for this site.

In Jesus,

Pastor David Stroup
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

thats really something.they saw the Lord in you and your wife.and yet it poses a crisis of conscience etc.

there are plenty of liberal Episcopal and others who will baptize them.the Metropolitan Community Church is a gay church.the would.

i guess the refusal would be the ...akward hard part.

pastor stroup
Joshua

Post by pastor stroup »

Just to make it clear as if I haven't, I didn't say I was going to baptize her I was just asking for others thoughts because sometimes others can give you wisdom in how to answer and respond. There are so many legal ramifications coming into play now when a minister won't marry Homosexual couples so maybe I should have made it clearer that I was seeking how to handle it not looking for approval of it. Some people on here can be very arrogant in their replies. When you pastor, you deal with all kinds of people in all kinds of situations. I appreciate those who really read what I'm saying and not just assume that I'm ignorant or asking for approval of the topic. That was never my intention or goal. Like I first said, I know what the scripture says concerning that lifestyle.

In Jesus,

Pastor David Stroup