Dake Bible Discussion BoardJohn 14:12...What was the "works" of Jesus?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

John 14:12...What was the "works" of Jesus?

Post by cpbeller »

I have seen on these boards several times it being said that in John 14:12, Jesus is NOT referring to miracles, signs and wonders, but rather his work to bring a proper relationship back between God and Man. I can agree with that, only so far, though. The works, I believe (and I agree with Dake here), that Jesus is referring to IS signs, wonders and miracles. But, Jesus did not just go around tossing power to and fro. Everything that He did, was to bring man back into right relationship with God. Now, having said that...the "works" He is talking about is miracles. I have seen on these boards (and not just these boards, but across Christianity in general) an excuse for a lack of miracles, or to downplay miracles, by saying Jesus was not speaking about those miracles that he did.

Here is the passage, and then Dake's notes on that passage.

John 14:12

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Here is Dake's notes on this passage, especially for the word "works".

(note q in John 14:12)

Dake wrote: Gr. ergon, works, deeds, acts. Translated work and works 152 times and deeds 22 times. It is clear that He refers to miracles, healings, signs, wonders, and mighty acts of power (Mt. 11:20-23; 13:54-58; 14:2; Jn. 5:20, 36; 9:3; 10:25, 32; 14:10-12). His works consisted of healing all manner of sickness and disease, casting out devils, raising the dead, cleansing lepers, and doing in-numerable acts of deliverance from all the works of Satan (Mt. 4:23-24; 9:35; Acts 10:38). He controlled the elements, multiplied food, walked on water, restored a severed ear, turned water into wine, accomplishing anything He undertook to do in the material and spiritual realms.

Now, I want to comment on something. In the previous verses, Jesus is telling the disciples to believe on Him. That the Father is in Him, and He is in the Father. Philip had just asked for Jesus to show them the Father. Jesus answered Philip (verses 9-14):

"Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."

I want to say, here, that Jesus is talking about things that they have seen. They had not seen his work of redemption (that work that brought right relationship between God and Man) yet, because Jesus had not yet gone to the cross, died and risen from the dead in power. All that they had seen so far was His miracles. Jesus told them to believe that Jesus was in the Father, and that the Father was in Jesus...or at least believe for the very works' sake. What works? It was works that they had seen, not works that they had not yet seen.

Peter speaks about those works again in Acts 10 (Acts 10:38 to be exact is what I am referring to here): "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."

Peter says here that God anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit and with power, and that Jesus went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil, for God was with Him. Him healing all that were oppressed of the devil is referring to the miracles that Jesus performed.

How can ppl claim that signs, wonders and miracles are "bad"? Now, I know...I am going to be told that this is not what is being said. Signs, wonders and miracles are all great. Followed up later with, "but we should not be doing them, because they are bad".

Jesus even said that signs and wonders will follow those that believe, and in His Name, those that believe will cast out demons, heal the sick and raise the dead. They shall speak with new tongues, they shall take up serpents, and if they drink any deadly thing, they shall not be hurt.

We, as Christians, should live a supernatural life. A life where signs, wonders, miracles, and the workings of the Power of God follows us. We, as Christians, have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us, and we, having the Holy Spirit dwelling within us, wherever we walk is holy ground. We are the temple of the Holy Spirit, He is in there. Like Kenneth Copeland said, "I am wall to wall Holy Ghost!" He is in there. So why are we told that we should eschew signs, wonders and miracles? I mean, anytime the topic is brought up, we are told that those things are bad, not to look at them. Funny, because Jesus said to believe for the works' sake. Jesus said that they will follow those that believe. And Jesus Himself went about doing them. The works that Jesus did ultimately led to salvation for man, and restoring that right relationship between God and Man...but the works that He is referring to in John 14 is talking directly about the miracles, the deeds, the acts, that Jesus had done. Those miracles, deeds and acts that the disciples had seen first-hand.

So, no...I do not ascribe to this belief that miracles is to be shunned that seems to have crept into the Church. That the power of God is somehow dormant when it comes to miracles. Everywhere we step, miracles should be happening. Kenneth Copeland said once, that we are so focused on being the one touching the garment when we need to be the one wearing the garment. And we should be. We are the anointed ones, we have the Holy Spirit in us. Paul said that the same power that raised Jesus from the dead is dwelling on the inside of us. We have that resurrection power. But where is it? I will tell you where it is at. It is locked away somewhere deep down inside of us, because we have listened to "preachers" and "teachers" and "men of God" who will tell us that the world does not need miracles...that the world does not need signs...that the world does not need wonders. I think it is time we push these so-called teachers, preachers, and men out of the way, reach up to Jesus, and accept what He said about it.

A little long, yes...I am sorry about that. But this has been weighing on my heart and mind for some time now...and a post from another thread brought it to the forefront to me. I believe God wants to do mighty things in the world. Not IN the Church, THROUGH the Church. Isn't it time we let Him use us to do His works? Afterall, He said that we would, and we would do greater works than He did...

EDITED for spelling and some clarification

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Re: John 14:12...What was the "works" of Jesus?

Post by macca »

That is sooo good :angel: :angel:

Preach it brother, thats what we need to hear. :multi: :?: +jump2

macca

Watchman2013
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by Watchman2013 »

Great post, cpbeller!

I'm also minded of Our Lord and Savior mentioning the works that we should do, as He, Himself, did:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal" (Mt. 25:31-46).
110 Future Prophetic Wonders.

I see this as His telling us to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, take care of the stranger, clothe the naked, care for the sick, and to visit those in captivity. These, at the very least, show our need, our obligation as Christians, to help those in need- as if doing it for, by, and to, The Lord. As He did for us, we must do for others, as unto Him...

It is by The Power of Jesus' Name, that we should, must do, what He did, in His earthly ministry. Only by The Power of Jesus' Name, AND in His Love, are things such as signs, wonders, and miracles the results of any ministry, however great or small... God, being sovereign, does as He Will, but always in concert with His Word, and His Nature, as He cannot go against either...

We are to continue His Ministry here, until He Returns for us...

Again, cpbeller, great post!

Maranatha

Watchman2013

"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.

Watchman2013
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by Watchman2013 »

It occurred to me that Our Lord and Savior gave us another teaching that, I at least, overlooked, as regards His Works, and how we are to be...

Let me explain... We seem to be inordinately focused upon who, or what church, sponsors a ministry. What that man or woman or ministry does, if they are not "ours," seems to be a bone of contention to some... Too, method of delivery, or "purity" of message, vis-a-vis one's own doctrines, seems to negate the efforts of God's Work... In studying how The Power of Jesus' Name applies, as well as God being no respecter of persons, this is what The Holy Spirit of God blessed me with:

Mark 9:38-40 (AMP)
38 John said to Him, Teacher, we saw a man who does not follow along with us driving out demons in Your name, and we forbade him to do it, because he is not one of our band [of Your disciples].
39 But Jesus said, Do not restrain or hinder or forbid him; for no one who does a mighty work in My name will soon afterward be able to speak evil of Me.
40 For he who is not against us is for us.

Notes For Verse 38
a [Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us] The answer of Mk. 9:37 convicted John, for he remembered what He had done to another believer who did not belong to his group. See notes on Mt. 10:40.

Notes For Verse 39
a [Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me] A lesson for divided Christendom today and a lesson Moses had already learned (Num. 11:26-29). True Christians will love every person of another church and will appreciate him and his work just as much as if he belonged to their church (Php. 2:1-3; Rom. 12:10). No man doing miracles in Jesus' name will speak lightly of Christ and no man for Christianity is against it, and on this basis men can detect true Christian workers. In general, anyone or any doctrine that denies a personal God and the Holy Spirit as a person, or who denies the incarnation of God in human flesh, the literal virgin birth of Jesus, His sinless life, His divine mission among men, His claims and doctrines, His miraculous powers, His physical death, burial, and bodily resurrection to the right hand of the Father as the head of the Church, is certainly not of God, but of Satan. The marks of false teachers are numerous in Scripture, so that no mistake need be made in detecting them (Mt. 7:15-20; 23:1-33; Acts 8:9; 13:8; Rom. 1:18-32; 16:17; 1Cor. 1:18-31; 6:9-11; 2Cor. 11:13-15; Gal. 5:19-21; Col. 2:8,18; Php. 3:17-19; 1Tim. 4:1-8; 2Tim. 3:1-13; 4:3-4; 2Pet. 2; 3Jn. 1:9-10; Jude 1:4-19; Rev. 2:14,20).
Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.
- - - - - - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - --

Luke 9:49-50 (AMP)
49 John said, Master, we saw a man driving out demons in Your name and we commanded him to stop it, for he does not follow along with us.
50 But Jesus told him, Do not forbid [such people]; for whoever is not against you is for you.

Notes For Verse 49
a [Master] Greek: epistates (GSN-<G1988>), note, Lk. 9:38.

b [we forbad him, because he followeth not with us] This is one of the greatest sins in the modern church.

Notes For Verse 50
a [Forbid him not; for he that is not against us is for us] Jesus forbids hindering any good work of any man regardless of whether or not he belongs to a recognized group of diciples.
Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.
- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - -- - - - ---

At the risk of being flamed, I've never thought God really cared about denominations, or the doctrines of Man... That being said, with what Our Lord and Savior taught above, AND Reverend Dake's magnificent exposition thereof, I believe it behooves us to follow in Jesus' footsteps... When somebody is doing God's Works, we should stand back, help if we can, and not jiggle their elbow, for it is God's Work, not ours...

In the military, we had a bad philosophy, borne out of ignorance, arrogance, and hubris- you can also find it in business of all kinds- and that was, "it wasn't thought of, or made, here." Such thinking gets one into potentially fatal circumstances, especially if equipment/gear could have been acquired, but was not "Made in America," or was that of another service or nation...

We are, as regards The Things of God, limited by our limitations, our perceptions, our experience, our knowledge. God doesn't have those problems. You could say that He sees clearly- all the time... If we are wise, we should always allow The Holy Spirit to lead us. That being said, if God be for us, who can be against us?

Let's try and keep our eyes upon God, rather than upon Man... Likewise, The Word of God, always, over anything else...

It's the right thing to do...

Maranatha

Watchman2013

"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

If works are signs and miracles I assume we all consider healing as probably the mightiest.

Is that not so?

Okay now let us consider this verse of scripture.

Mark 6:4-5 (NKJV)
4 But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house."
5 Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them.

If I read this scripture correctly it says Jesus was unable to do any mighty work BUT is also clearly mentions Jesus did lay hands on people and healed them.

Doesn’t this suggest the work being spoken of is something other than Miracles of healing? Come on be reasonable of course it does!

What did Jesus say his work was? Does not the John 6 and John 14 passage clearly define the work of Jesus Christ? What did Jesus say was the proof of his work? John 4:48 (NKJV)
48 Then Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe."

Read the book of John he clearly defines Works and Signs and never does he speak of one with the others name.

But Jesus also admonished them to be careful saying
Matthew 24:24 (NKJV)
24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Okay now let us say I have this all wrong. I’m not saying that but let us just say I do.

Let us play a little game.

It is an easy game not hard at all.

When I mention healing who do you think of?

Wigglesworth, Lake, Branham, Hagin, Copeland, Aimee McPherson, Kuhlman

Any others?

I’m sure each of you have a favorite whose name comes to mind the instant someone mentions HEALING!

See that is the problem Scripture tells us very clearly God will not share his glory with anyone. The fact that the person’s name came to mine with this question should tell each one of you that there is something wrong.

Let me try this.

If God heals a man that healing is still temporal. The man will eventually die.
Now if God saves a man that healing is eternal. The man will spend eternity saved.
Which is the mighty work? The temporal healing or the eternal salvation.

Does God still heal? Absolutely everyday! Ask almost any missionary.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

FINE POST CHRIS. :smilecolros:

Brother Branham had the Angel of the LORD with him in his meetings.he would wait for Him to come.And then the Power fell.miracles of Bible proportions took place.im quite aware of Mr.Koch and his ilk.
some then and now called it the devil.or familiar evil spirits.but they were are in danger of eternal sin cf Mark 3:29; cf Matthew 12:32.

HOW ODD THAT GORDON LINDSAY KNEW HE WAS REAL.REAL ENOUGH TO CONTEND WITH HIM WHEN HE GOT OFF CENTER!!!! OTHER SUPPORTERS INCLUDED F.F. BOSWORTH,DAD HAGIN, DEMOS SHAKARIAN,A.A .ALLEN,T.L. AND DAISY OSBORN :| AND ORAL ROBERTS TO NAME A FEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he said that greater works meant more.more works.that no one could do greater works the the Lord Jesus Christ.

im just telling the board what he said.he always gave others more credit than he.he truly revered Oral Roberts and the other voice of healing ministers.HE LOVED THEM SOMUCH...tears....IVE HEARD HIM SAY IT ON CD.
my late precious friend Reverend E.G.Bevins RIP said to me there was nothing like a Brother Branham meeting.he had worked for some of the others.but when he came in and heard Only Believe and him step up to the platform he never felt or saw the likes of it ever.id trust him with my life when he was here.he said the Spirit of God was so heavy there......the POWER OF GOD would sweep through the audience..... miracles took place all over.he would callpeople out tell them their names adresses personal things they would weep wail ...he had the Spirit without measure.i believe.
he begged the people to pray for him.it was as though he knew it was too much for him... :arrow: :arrow:

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Justaned wrote:If works are signs and miracles I assume we all consider healing as probably the mightiest.

Is that not so?

4 But Jesus said to them, "A prophet is not without honor except in his own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house."
5 Now He could do no mighty work there, except that He laid His hands on a few sick people and healed them.

If I read this scripture correctly it says Jesus was unable to do any mighty work BUT is also clearly mentions Jesus did lay hands on people and healed them.

Doesn’t this suggest the work being spoken of is something other than Miracles of healing? Come on be reasonable of course it does!

What did Jesus say his work was? Does not the John 6 and John 14 passage clearly define the work of Jesus Christ? What did Jesus say was the proof of his work? John 4:48 (NKJV)
48 Then Jesus said to him, "Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe."

Read the book of John he clearly defines Works and Signs and never does he speak of one with the others name.

24 For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

Okay now let us say I have this all wrong. I’m not saying that but let us just say I do.

Wigglesworth, Lake, Branham, Hagin, Copeland, Aimee McPherson, Kuhlman ?

Any others?

I’m sure each of you have a favorite whose name comes to mind the instant someone mentions HEALING!

See that is the problem Scripture tells us very clearly God will not share his glory with anyone. The fact that the person’s name came to mind with this question should tell each one of you that there is something wrong.

Let me try this.

Now if God saves a man that healing is eternal. The man will spend eternity saved.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

IVE BEEN A THINKING :-) IF YOU FOLKS FIND ANYONE ANYWHERE THAT DID GREATER WORKS THAN JESUS CHRIST POST IT HERE.

I AINT BUYING IT.

cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

Post by cpbeller »

Ed: "Let us play a little game. It is an easy game not hard at all. When I mention healing who do you think of?"

Honestly? I thought of Jesus...until you told me who I should be thinking about.

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!READ THE BOOK OF ACTS !!!!!
READ CHURCH HISTORY.HONORING THE SERVANT OF THE LORD IS PROPER AND MANDATORY IN BOTH TESTAMENTS.BADMOUTHING THEM BRINGS THE CURSE.
KING SAUL WAS THE LORDS ANOINTED.KING DAVID KILLED BUZZARDS FOR NOT HONORING SAUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE 2 KINGS 1 THEY RENT THEIR CLOTHES AND FASTED FOR ...SAUL AND JONATHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOD TOO KILLS PEOPLE FOR THE SAME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY THINK THEY ARE FINE AND THEY ARE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I HEARD REVEREND ANGLEY SAY THIS.IT SCARED THE WHOLE CHURCH HALF TO DEATH.ONE MORE DROP OF MERCY GOD SAID ONE MORE.THEN ITS CUT OFF TIME.
HOW HORRIFYING!!!!!
I FEAR THIS MORE THAN DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BEING DECEIVED AND BEING CUT OFF BY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOW COULD YOU BE SO DUPED. YOU FELL LIKE A WE TEARED NOVICE FOR THAT IDIOTIC HANNAHOAX, MACBLUNDER, PIED PIPER ETC. RUBBISH.THEY NEVER SAW A MIRACLE IN THEIR LIVES .IF THEY DID THEY SAY IT WAS OF THE DEVIL.IT STINKS.

Justaned wrote:If works are signs and miracles I assume we all consider healing as probably the mightiest.

Is that not so?

Wigglesworth, Lake, Branham, Hagin, Copeland, Aimee McPherson, Kuhlman

Any others?

See that is the problem Scripture tells us very clearly God will not share his glory with anyone. The fact that the person’s name came to mine with this question should tell each one of you that there is something wrong.

Let me try this.