Dake Bible Discussion BoardQuestions about the Holy Spirit

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Re: Questions about the Holy Spirit

Post by titus213 »

Can you explain that answer? Remember the question is asked in reference to Eph 5:18 which is instructions to a Christian.

Right. Got that.

This command, “be filled with the Spirit” comes to us from the Koine Greek verb (PLEROO). This verb isn’t a suggestion but a command in the “imperative mood”; not doing so would instantly produce a sin.

OK

It’s in the “present tense”, which connotes a continuous action or keep on doing this; i.e. being filled with the Spirit and it literally means to fill up a deficiency. Pleroo, or being filled is in the “passive voice”, thus the believer receives the action of the verb of being filled. The word with as in, with the Spirit, it's actually the Greek word EN and means by the Spirit.

Yup.

The word (EN) is a preposition in the “dative case” which signifies advantage or in other words, it’s to the believers advantage to be filled with the Spirit continuously.

That isn't what the dative case "signifies" in this case, but there's nothing wrong in saying it's to the believer's advantage to be filled continuously. This is the much more common dative of means, aka the instrumental dative.

So the question as asked is how does a Christian go about this.

Well, I have said twice now that the answer to the question is found in John 7 where Jesus talks about the ministry of the Spirit to those who are thirsty. One has a recognition of need and desire (thirst), comes to Jesus as the one who has the water that will quench that thirst, and drinks in faith.

The most common answer is to read the Bible but we all know there are many people that read the Bible constantly that aren't fully filled with the spirit. They have the spirit indwelling within them from salvation but haven't fully yielded their will to that spirit.

That's true.

Please don't confuse this with the process of Sanctification.

I don't.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

fatherfisher wrote:Can you explain that answer? Remember the question is asked in reference to Eph 5:18 which is instructions to a Christian.

Right. Got that.

This command, “be filled with the Spirit” comes to us from the Koine Greek verb (PLEROO). This verb isn’t a suggestion but a command in the “imperative mood”; not doing so would instantly produce a sin.

OK

It’s in the “present tense”, which connotes a continuous action or keep on doing this; i.e. being filled with the Spirit and it literally means to fill up a deficiency. Pleroo, or being filled is in the “passive voice”, thus the believer receives the action of the verb of being filled. The word with as in, with the Spirit, it's actually the Greek word EN and means by the Spirit.

Yup.

The word (EN) is a preposition in the “dative case” which signifies advantage or in other words, it’s to the believers advantage to be filled with the Spirit continuously.

That isn't what the dative case "signifies" in this case, but there's nothing wrong in saying it's to the believer's advantage to be filled continuously. This is the much more common dative of means, aka the instrumental dative.

So the question as asked is how does a Christian go about this.

Well, I have said twice now that the answer to the question is found in John 7 where Jesus talks about the ministry of the Spirit to those who are thirsty. One has a recognition of need and desire (thirst), comes to Jesus as the one who has the water that will quench that thirst, and drinks in faith.

The most common answer is to read the Bible but we all know there are many people that read the Bible constantly that aren't fully filled with the spirit. They have the spirit indwelling within them from salvation but haven't fully yielded their will to that spirit.

That's true.

Please don't confuse this with the process of Sanctification.

I don't.
OK!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

1. DO YOU GOOD PASTORS BELIEVE A PERSON CAN BE FILLED =FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHOUT=WITHOUT HAVING THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM AND SPEAKING IN OTHER TONGUES??

2.DO YOU BELIEVE THAT A PERSON IS IN OBEDIENCE ACTS 5:32 WHO REFUSES TO BE BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY GHOST AND SPEAK IN OTHER TONGUES???

3.DO YOU THINK THAT BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS WILL GO IN THE RAPTURE WHO DO NOT HAVE THE PENTECOSTAL BAPTISM???

THANK YOU.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

branham1965 wrote:1. DO YOU GOOD PASTORS BELIEVE A PERSON CAN BE FILLED =FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHOUT=WITHOUT HAVING THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM AND SPEAKING IN OTHER TONGUES??

2.DO YOU BELIEVE THAT A PERSON IS IN OBEDIENCE ACTS 5:32 WHO REFUSES TO BE BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY GHOST AND SPEAK IN OTHER TONGUES???

3.DO YOU THINK THAT BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS WILL GO IN THE RAPTURE WHO DO NOT HAVE THE PENTECOSTAL BAPTISM???

THANK YOU.
Hi Billy,

Great questions on this topic. Let me respond.
branham1965 wrote:1. DO YOU GOOD PASTORS BELIEVE A PERSON CAN BE FILLED =FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHOUT=WITHOUT HAVING THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM AND SPEAKING IN OTHER TONGUES??
No.
branham1965 wrote:2.DO YOU BELIEVE THAT A PERSON IS IN OBEDIENCE ACTS 5:32 WHO REFUSES TO BE BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY GHOST AND SPEAK IN OTHER TONGUES???
No.
branham1965 wrote:3.DO YOU THINK THAT BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS WILL GO IN THE RAPTURE WHO DO NOT HAVE THE PENTECOSTAL BAPTISM???
Yes.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

THANK YOU.
Billy
Here is my take. I believe some will disagree but as you know that doesn't bother me a lot.

First I think at salavation you recieve the Holy Spirit as scripture clearly states. Since the Holy Spirit is a person not some energy force you have all of HIm or nothing. Trying to say you only get so much is like saying when someone comes to my house that only half of them are here. That's nonsense.

If you are saved you have all of the Holy Spirit dwelling in you and you will be raptured when saved people are raptured.

As to refusing to speak in tongues.
I don't think anyone should refuse anything of God. If they do refuse something of God I would suspect their salavation as they seem to foster rebellion in their heart.

I believe a person when saved gets all of the Holy Spirit as I explained above. Then there is a process that takes place in their lives, some people call it sanctification and others call it something different but I view it as a learning process where we learn to yield our will to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

This is very difficult process but one that must occur if we want to be fully lead of the Holy Spirit. Once we reach a point of full yieldedness the Holy Spirit is able to fully use us even to the point of speaking through us. Some for various reasons resist this and it never happens to them but I don't believe that effects their salvation it just makes them less useable.

It is taught when you reach this point that Holy Spirit has full control of your will, you will speak in tongues. While that is exactly what happened in the Book of Acts no where in scripture is it listed a requirement.

I'm less interested in whether a person is speaking in tongues and more in whether they are serving God with all their heart, mind and spirit. Remember the Holy Spirit if given us to lead us, teach us, comfort us and to make us witnesses to Jesus Christ. I see not mention in scripture that the Holy Spirit is sent to thrill or amaze us or to prove our spirituality.

Some allow emotion to bring forth a tongue and I have real sympathy for those people since they were seeking either a sign, a manifestation or the approval of man instead of seeking what they should have been seeking, more of God.

So in answer to question 1 you can be save and not speak in tongues
To question 2 I don't think any in obedience refuses anything God has for them.
To question 3 You do not have to speak in tongues to be included with the rest of Christianity.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:

THANK YOU.
Billy
Here is my take. I believe some will disagree but as you know that doesn't bother me a lot.

First I think at salavation you recieve the Holy Spirit as scripture clearly states. Since the Holy Spirit is a person not some energy force you have all of HIm or nothing. Trying to say you only get so much is like saying when someone comes to my house that only half of them are here. That's nonsense.

If you are saved you have all of the Holy Spirit dwelling in you and you will be raptured when saved people are raptured.

I don't think anyone should refuse anything of God. If they do refuse something of God I would suspect their salavation as they seem to foster rebellion in their heart.

I believe a person when saved gets all of the Holy Spirit as I explained above. Then there is a process that takes place in their lives, some people call it sanctification and others call it something different but I view it as a learning process where we learn to yield our will to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

This is very difficult process but one that must occur if we want to be fully lead of the Holy Spirit. Once we reach a point of full yieldedness the Holy Spirit is able to fully use us even to the point of speaking through us. Some for various reasons resist this and it never happens to them but I don't believe that effects their salvation it just makes them less useable.

It is taught when you reach this point that Holy Spirit has full control of your will, you will speak in tongues. While that is exactly what happened in the Book of Acts no where in scripture is it listed a requirement.

I'm less interested in whether a person is speaking in tongues and more in whether they are serving God with all their heart, mind and spirit. Remember the Holy Spirit if given us to lead us, teach us, comfort us and to make us witnesses to Jesus Christ. I see not mention in scripture that the Holy Spirit is sent to thrill or amaze us or to prove our spirituality.

Some allow emotion to bring forth a tongue and I have real sympathy for those people since they were seeking either a sign, a manifestation or the approval of man instead of seeking what they should have been seeking, more of God.

To question 3 You do not have to speak in tongues to be included with the rest of Christianity.

Hi ed,

If you look at your answers they are not what Billy asked on 2 of his questions.

So in answer to question 1 you can be save and not speak in tongues (The question was not about salvation)
To question 3 You do not have to speak in tongues to be included with the rest of Christianity. (The question did not deal with Christianity but the Rapture)

Are we getting old or what??? (smile)

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

JAMEY
Leviticus

Post by JAMEY »

Justaned asked: "Thanks for you answers but I don't think you address how to be filled with the Holy Spirit only that we should and what happens when we do."

Jesus said: Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Luke 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luke 11:11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if [he ask] a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

Luke 11:12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

Thank you Pastor Bible for that kindness.Thanks.
bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:

THANK YOU.
Billy

Hi ed,

If you look at your answers they are not what Billy asked on 2 of his questions.

So in answer to question 1 you can be save and not speak in tongues (The question was not about salvation)
To question 3 You do not have to speak in tongues to be included with the rest of Christianity. (The question did not deal with Christianity but the Rapture)

Are we getting old or what??? (smile)

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

JAMEY wrote:Justaned asked: "Thanks for you answers but I don't think you address how to be filled with the Holy Spirit only that we should and what happens when we do."

Jesus said: Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

Luke 11:10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Luke 11:11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if [he ask] a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?

Luke 11:12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall [your] heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Jamey

Thank you for a thoughtful answer!

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

MAY I PLEASE ASK THIS AS WELL??? :agrue:

IS THE initial evidence of the BIBLE Holy Ghost Baptism = speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit of God gives the utterance????????????? ACTS 2:4.

1.yes it is !!!!

2.no it is not!!!!!

3.who cares what you think billy.buzz off loser!!!!