Dake Bible Discussion BoardWHY SATAN ROAMS THE EARTH SEEING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: WHY SATAN ROAMS THE EARTH SEEING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR

Post by Justaned »

1 Timothy 2:14 (NKJV)
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

1 Timothy 2:14 (NKJV)
14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

James 1:14-15 (NKJV)
14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

Temptation is solicitation to sin; the solicitation to sin always comes from Satan and his henchmen. The verses in James are explaining the mechanism involved: the process is internal, Satan making use of our desires as the instruments through which he entices us to commit sin. These verses are not trying to say that temptations come only from our own flesh; they are letting us know the process by which we yield to temptation. We can never play the blame game and say “the Devil MADE me do it”.

The true origin of all temptation is Satan, as Jesus taught in the model prayer: “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one”, and as James reminds his readers later in 4.1-7: “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you”. He is the ultimate mastermind behind all temptation. He truly is THE Tempter (Matt 4.3; 1 Thess 3.5).

So of course Adam was tempted. As part of God’s “good” creation, with a nature that had no evil tendencies, the solicitation to sin could only come from outside himself, and Eve did not possess such power. As IronMan pointed out, the Genesis account tells us he was “with Eve” during the temptation. That implies not only being physically present with her, but “with her” in yielding to the temptation of Satan and being more than ready to revolt against God.

1 Timothy 2:14 does not say otherwise; it points out that while Eve was “deceived”, Adam was not; deception is the issue, not temptation. Paul is suggesting that women are more vulnerable to deception than men (a view also widely taught by the rabbinic Judaism in which Paul was raised). He apparently needed to do this because of the circumstances Timothy found in his congregation: women there seem to have been prominent in giving heed to fables and getting caught up in disputes, turning aside to idle talk and desiring to be teachers of that which they didn’t really understand (1 Tim 1.3-7); some had already turned aside to follow Satan (1 Tim 5.15) and were “gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able t come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Tim 3.6-7).

cpbeller
Wield the Sword of the Spirit, Which is the Word of God

Post by cpbeller »

perhaps Ed is trying to say that only the decieved can be tempted? If that is the truth, then how was Jesus tempted? Was He deceived?

DISCLAIMER: Whatever I say or do not say may or may not apply to you based on whether you are or are not a Christian. And whether you are or are not a Christian may or may not be based off of whatever denomination you may or may not be a part of.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

fatherfisher wrote:Temptation is solicitation to sin; the solicitation to sin always comes from Satan and his henchmen. The verses in James are explaining the mechanism involved: the process is internal, Satan making use of our desires as the instruments through which he entices us to commit sin. These verses are not trying to say that temptations come only from our own flesh; they are letting us know the process by which we yield to temptation. We can never play the blame game and say “the Devil MADE me do it”.

The true origin of all temptation is Satan, as Jesus taught in the model prayer: “Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one”, and as James reminds his readers later in 4.1-7: “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you”. He is the ultimate mastermind behind all temptation. He truly is THE Tempter (Matt 4.3; 1 Thess 3.5).

So of course Adam was tempted. As part of God’s “good” creation, with a nature that had no evil tendencies, the solicitation to sin could only come from outside himself, and Eve did not possess such power. As IronMan pointed out, the Genesis account tells us he was “with Eve” during the temptation. That implies not only being physically present with her, but “with her” in yielding to the temptation of Satan and being more than ready to revolt against God.

1 Timothy 2:14 does not say otherwise; it points out that while Eve was “deceived”, Adam was not; deception is the issue, not temptation. Paul is suggesting that women are more vulnerable to deception than men (a view also widely taught by the rabbinic Judaism in which Paul was raised). He apparently needed to do this because of the circumstances Timothy found in his congregation: women there seem to have been prominent in giving heed to fables and getting caught up in disputes, turning aside to idle talk and desiring to be teachers of that which they didn’t really understand (1 Tim 1.3-7); some had already turned aside to follow Satan (1 Tim 5.15) and were “gullible women loaded down with sins, led away by various lusts, always learning and never able t come to the knowledge of the truth" (2 Tim 3.6-7).
fatherfisher
If what you are saying is right how often are we tempted? How often is that temptation from Satan?

Now think about it Satan is not omnipresent nor is his henchmen as you call them. So if we are going to be tempted by Satan, he Satan or one of his demons must be present. There are 6 billion + people on this earth today, so how often is Satan going to tempt us in the realization of how much sin and temption we are exposed to each and every hour.

I never denied Satan, nor did I deny the Satan tempts people. What I'm saying is most sin and temptation comes from within and is Lust of the eye. Lust of the flesh and Pride of life. We try to blame Satan because we are weak but don't want to admit it, Pride of life. Plus it makes our theology so nice and clean, every thing we view as good must come from God and everything we view as bad must come from Satan.

Not always so! I have experienced many things that when they occurred I viewed them as bad, real bad. However now that I have walked through them I see how they were used to teach me lessons I would have never learned any other way. In fact at this point in my life and looking back at all that has transpired in my life I have to say that truly God did make all things work to my good because I loved God and was called to His purpose.

Perhaps that is why so many resist accepting Romans 8:28 on face value, while they may think they love God how many are called to His purpose?

Ray

Post by Ray »

fatherfisher wrote:What I have believed that a period of time from the CROSS until now, that Rev 20 calls a thousand years that satan was to be bound (stopped, halted, hindered) of deceiving the nations (the Gentiles)

However, Rev. 20.1-3 does not state that Satan is merely stopped or hindered; he is not only made powerless (the picture given by the chain binding Satan), he is also removed from the scene of action (cast into the bottomless pit, shut up, and sealed in). No matter how figurative one may want to make the language in these 3 verses, they still signify the removal of Satan himself from the sphere of his previous operation as well as his inability to continue his work.

It is obvious that from the cross until now, Satan has not been removed, no matter how much some may think he has been hindered from deceiving the nations.
Brother Fisher,

Tell me how do you interpret verse 29 below in context with the preceeding verses ?

Matthew 12:
22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Post by victoryword »

Ray wrote:
fatherfisher wrote:What I have believed that a period of time from the CROSS until now, that Rev 20 calls a thousand years that satan was to be bound (stopped, halted, hindered) of deceiving the nations (the Gentiles)

However, Rev. 20.1-3 does not state that Satan is merely stopped or hindered; he is not only made powerless (the picture given by the chain binding Satan), he is also removed from the scene of action (cast into the bottomless pit, shut up, and sealed in). No matter how figurative one may want to make the language in these 3 verses, they still signify the removal of Satan himself from the sphere of his previous operation as well as his inability to continue his work.

It is obvious that from the cross until now, Satan has not been removed, no matter how much some may think he has been hindered from deceiving the nations.
Brother Fisher,

Tell me how do you interpret verse 29 below in context with the preceeding verses ?

Matthew 12:
22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
Not answering for Double-F, but I personally understand the passages as teaching that through the redemptive work of Christ, Satan would be bound in the same sense that he is destroyed (Heb. 2:14; 1 John 3:8). "Destroyed" does not mean that Satan has been obliterated out of existence and "bound" does not mean that he is inactive. It simply means that Satan has been made ineffective against the believer and on the basis of authority in Christ Jesus we are able to confront and overcome his works.

Ray

Post by Ray »

victoryword wrote:
Ray wrote:

Brother Fisher,

Matthew 12:

Not answering for Double-F, but I personally understand the passages as teaching that through the redemptive work of Christ, Satan would be bound in the same sense that he is destroyed (Heb. 2:14; 1 John 3:8). "Destroyed" does not mean that Satan has been obliterated out of existence and "bound" does not mean that he is inactive. It simply means that Satan has been made ineffective against the believer and on the basis of authority in Christ Jesus we are able to confront and overcome his works.
Victory Word,
I totally agree with your interpretation of this passage.
the word "bind" in Matt 12:29 is the same word as "bound" in Rev 20:2 in the greek "deo" both words having the same meaning.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

If what you are saying is right how often are we tempted? How often is that temptation from Satan?]

If it is solicitation to evil (as opposed to temptation to take another piece of pie for dessert) Satan is always behind it.

Now think about it Satan is not omnipresent nor is his henchmen as you call them. So if we are going to be tempted by Satan, he Satan or one of his demons must be present. There are 6 billion + people on this earth today, so how often is Satan going to tempt us in the realization of how much sin and temption we are exposed to each and every hour.

The world is his playground. I don't know how many demons there are, but he has an entire world-system in place. John tells us that the whole world lies under the sway of the Wicked One (1 Jn 5.19). In fact, a study of how John uses the term "the world" in his letters may be worthwhile to you. He is the "prince of the power of the air"; Paul says we need the whole armor of God precisely because we are up against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places". Sounds to me as though Satan has more than enough resources to tempt anyone at any time.

I never denied Satan, nor did I deny the Satan tempts people.

No, but you discounted his role, suggesting that maybe he has been already bound and that if he is behind such heinous evil as the murder of children in Connecticut, then the murderer cannot be held responsible.

What I'm saying is most sin and temptation comes from within and is Lust of the eye. Lust of the flesh and Pride of life.

But look at the context of that verse in 1 John 2. John writes in the context of Satan's work and those who have overcome him. The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, the pride of life -- these are exactly how Eve fell but she was tempted to do so by Satan. Genesis 3:6 "So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate." John says these are part of "the world" which is under Satan's grip. So he is still the one behind them. Satan, remember, is "the god of this age" (2 Cor 4.4).

My point being that we don't choose between whether Satan is tempting us or our sinful human desires for evil are kicking in . . . it is both/and. No one is in neutral territory - they are either in kingdom of God serving Jesus or the kingdom of darkness serving the Prince of darkness. They are under the one Master or the other.

We try to blame Satan because we are weak but don't want to admit it, Pride of life. Plus it makes our theology so nice and clean, every thing we view as good must come from God and everything we view as bad must come from Satan.

I have already written that we can't blame Satan (which is the point made in the James passage you used). But James is the one who tells us if it's good it's from God, and the presumption would be that if it's bad it's not. Even if you want to limit "bad" to bad habits in us, where do they originate? As I said earlier, Satan is the ultimate Tempter, the one behind all solicitation to evil in whatever form it comes.

Not always so! I have experienced many things that when they occurred I viewed them as bad, real bad. However now that I have walked through them I see how they were used to teach me lessons I would have never learned any other way. In fact at this point in my life and looking back at all that has transpired in my life I have to say that truly God did make all things work to my good because I loved God and was called to His purpose.

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Of course (as I have said previously) God can and does permit evil to come into our lives and then overrules it for His own purposes and to our good. But the evil itself does not originate with God, not ever. I agree with James: "Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

fatherfisher wrote:If what you are saying is right how often are we tempted? How often is that temptation from Satan?]

If it is solicitation to evil (as opposed to temptation to take another piece of pie for dessert) Satan is always behind it.

The world is his playground. I don't know how many demons there are, but he has an entire world-system in place. John tells us that the whole world lies under the sway of the Wicked One (1 Jn 5.19). In fact, a study of how John uses the term "the world" in his letters may be worthwhile to you. He is the "prince of the power of the air"; Paul says we need the whole armor of God precisely because we are up against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places". Sounds to me as though Satan has more than enough resources to tempt anyone at any time.

I never denied Satan, nor did I deny the Satan tempts people.

No, but you discounted his role, suggesting that maybe he has been already bound and that if he is behind such heinous evil as the murder of children in Connecticut, then the murderer cannot be held responsible.

What I'm saying is most sin and temptation comes from within and is Lust of the eye. Lust of the flesh and Pride of life.

But look at the context of that verse in 1 John 2. John writes in the context of Satan's work and those who have overcome him. The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, the pride of life -- these are exactly how Eve fell but she was tempted to do so by Satan. Genesis 3:6 "So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree desirable to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate." John says these are part of "the world" which is under Satan's grip. So he is still the one behind them. Satan, remember, is "the god of this age" (2 Cor 4.4).

My point being that we don't choose between whether Satan is tempting us or our sinful human desires for evil are kicking in . . . it is both/and. No one is in neutral territory - they are either in kingdom of God serving Jesus or the kingdom of darkness serving the Prince of darkness. They are under the one Master or the other.

We try to blame Satan because we are weak but don't want to admit it, Pride of life. Plus it makes our theology so nice and clean, every thing we view as good must come from God and everything we view as bad must come from Satan.

I have already written that we can't blame Satan (which is the point made in the James passage you used). But James is the one who tells us if it's good it's from God, and the presumption would be that if it's bad it's not. Even if it you want to limit "bad" to bad habits in us, where do they originate? As I said earlier, Satan is the ultimate Tempter, the one behind all solicitation to evil in whatever form it comes.

This is like comparing apples and oranges. Of course (as I have said previously) God can and does permit evil to come into our lives and then overrules it for His own purposes and to our good. But the evil itself does not originate with God, not ever. I agree with James: "Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning."

Fatherfisher
While we may say things differently I believe we are in fair agreement with where sin comes from, where it originated and how it comes into our lives.
I would disagree with how often Satan himself is directly involved in our temptation as I believe Satan occupies himself more with people whose behaviour and choices effect larger groups of people than you or I.

But I think we both agree we can't plead the devil made me do it as a our defense for us sinning. We sin and the cause for that sin falls squarely on our shoulders and not on society, we were decieved, we're sick or the devil.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

In the context of Matthew 12, the main point Jesus makes is that by overcoming the power of Satan in casting out demons, it’s proof that the kingdom of God has come upon them. His ministry cannot be attributed to Satan, since if it were he would be fighting against himself. What Jesus is doing when He casts out demons is plundering Satan’s possessions, proving He is stronger than Satan. The analogy is that Jesus is the plunderer, who has entered Satan's house and begun to wreak havoc . . . something He couldn't do unless He first bound the strong man.

But although Christ’s ministry inaugurated the kingdom and provided a sort of preview of coming attractions, the kingdom still awaits its consummation at His return. And that is what John writes about in The Revelation. It seems plain to me that the binding of Satan and his removal to the bottomless pit in Revelation 20 is later than his being thrown down to earth in Revelation 12. Throughout the Book of Revelation until chapter 20, John views Satan as very much unbound and raging, very much an adversary like “a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour”.