Dake Bible Discussion Boardis it a sin to be CREMATED???

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

is it a sin to be CREMATED???

Post by branham1965 »

is it a sin to be cremated???

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: is it a sin to be CREMATED???

Post by Justaned »

Only if you do it yourself by smoking in bed :mrgreen:

Seriously decomposition is the process of oxidation. The body when it dies begins to decompose or oxidize. Fire is accelerated oxidation so cremation is the simply an accelerated process of decomposition. End result is dust or ashes.

In Old Testament times burning of the body and desecrating the ashes was a way to show contempt to an individual but a modern cremation does not entail such desecration of the body.

Many cite the pagans as using cremation but what makes pagan cremation a pagan experience is the people that are doing it.

I have every intention of being cremated when I die. I detest funerals, viewings, formality of the event and all that goes with funerals.

My wish is that upon death I my body is taken immediately and cremated without a viewing. I want people to remember me alive not dead lying in a box.

At a later date I would like a memorial service where people can reflect on how our lives were intertwined and be comforted knowing we will be together again very shortly.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

branham1965 wrote:is it a sin to be cremated???
G-Day Billy.
I dont know if its sin to be cremated. All I can say is there are 36 Scriptures in the Bible to do with burying the dead or their dead, and they all say "Bury." not cremate! My wife and I intend to be buried as Jesus was, not cremated. My mother and father were cremated as was their request.

For example,

"Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury." (John 19:40).

"Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:60).

God had Moses buried.

"So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And He buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day." (Deut. 34:5-6).

The devil tried to prevent Moses being buried, he wanted his body so people could worship it, idol like, as people in some churches worship the dead these days. We recently had the withered and decomposed arm and hand of the catholics hero, St, Fransis Zavier paraded about Aus. People flocked every place it was displayed, kissing the flaming glass box it was in, praying, blessing themselves, crying, asking it for forgiveness, it made me shudder even thinking about this rubbish.

"Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee." (Jude 1:9).

I know of people who cremate their loved ones and take their ashes home in a jar and put them on a shelf, some even pray to the jar believing they are being heard by the dead loved one. Thats why God wants people buried. Not many would have a coffin on their mantle piece. :mrgreen: The people who cremated my parents asked me if I wanted to take home their ashes. I declined and told them to bury their ashes which they did. I believe God wants us to be buried or there would not be much said regarding burial in the Bible. 36 Scriptures mentioning the word bury, not cremate. That is enough for me mate.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

macca
After the Holy Ghost Has Come Upon You, Ye Shall Be My Witnesses

Post by macca »

I could not care less what happened to my body after i go to be with Jesus, they could mince me up for 4 and twenty pies for all i care..

burn baby burn :onfire:

macca +grill

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

:angel: :angel:
Justaned wrote:Only if you do it yourself by smoking in bed :mrgreen:

Seriously decomposition is the process of oxidation. The body when it dies begins to decompose or oxidize. Fire is accelerated oxidation so cremation is the simply an accelerated process of decomposition. End result is dust or ashes.

In Old Testament times burning of the body and desecrating the ashes was a way to show contempt to an individual but a modern cremation does not entail such desecration of the body.

Many cite the pagans as using cremation but what makes pagan cremation a pagan experience is the people that are doing it.

I have every intention of being cremated when I die. I detest funerals, viewings, formality of the event and all that goes with funerals.

My wish is that upon death I my body is taken immediately and cremated without a viewing. I want people to remember me alive not dead lying in a box.

At a later date I would like a memorial service where people can reflect on how our lives were intertwined and be comforted knowing we will be together again very shortly.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

thank you very much for sharing that with me mate.36 Bible cases.

Ironman wrote:
branham1965 wrote:is it a sin to be cremated???
G-Day Billy.
I dont know if its sin to be cremated. All I can say is there are 36 Scriptures in the Bible to do with burying the dead or their dead, and they all say "Bury." not cremate! My wife and I intend to be buried as Jesus was, not cremated. My mother and father were cremated as was their request.

For example,

"Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury." (John 19:40).

"Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:60).

God had Moses buried.

"So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. And He buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Bethpeor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day." (Deut. 34:5-6).

The devil tried to prevent Moses being buried, he wanted his body so people could worship it, idol like, as people in some churches worship the dead these days. We recently had the withered and decomposed arm and hand of the catholics hero, St, Fransis Zavier paraded about Aus. People flocked every place it was displayed, kissing the flaming glass box it was in, praying, blessing themselves, crying, asking it for forgiveness, it made me shudder even thinking about this rubbish.

"Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee." (Jude 1:9).

I know of people who cremate their loved ones and take their ashes home in a jar and put them on a shelf, some even pray to the jar believing they are being heard by the dead loved one. Thats why God wants people buried. Not many would have a coffin on their mantle piece. :mrgreen: The people who cremated my parents asked me if I wanted to take home their ashes. I declined and told them to bury their ashes which they did. I believe God wants us to be buried or there would not be much said regarding burial in the Bible. 36 Scriptures mentioning the word bury, not cremate. That is enough for me mate.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

YOU are a hard core man big macca. :angel: :angel: :angel: :shock: :scrambleup: :scrambleup: :mrgreen:
i know you mean that too.:scatter:
funerals here by burial are expensive.in the old west or our early days here they would throw you in a "wooden coat" a nice pine box and put you in the ground and that was it.or if you was too poor throw you in with some cloth on you.worms got to eat too they'd say.
Then someone got smart. :| they took that simple process and somehow they cost a small fortune now.
my old boss said they could take him and throw him in the big molten steel urns at Republic Steel.
i have two bulldogs that were cremated at moms house.my Ziggy and my good boy Monty.im sure Kimbo will be also.
macca wrote:I could not care less what happened to my body after i go to be with Jesus, they could mince me up for 4 and twenty pies for all i care..

burn baby burn :onfire:

macca +grill

scottae316
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by scottae316 »

No

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

"dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return" (Genesis 3.19)

I don't think it matters whether the process happens in several minutes or several years.
Few people are buried as Jesus was (He was not put in the ground), so don't follow His example anyway.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

One of the first and best-known mention of a ‘cremation’ (burnt offering) is in the book of Genesis, where Abraham is asked by God to sacrifice his son Isaac on top of a funeral pyre (Genesis 22:1-18).

An angel stepped in and told Abraham at the last minute to stop - God had seen Abraham’s heart and that he was willing to do anything for Him, believing that Isaac (the son of the promise) could come back to life. This proposed cremation is followed by reports of others throughout the Old Testament.

The Israelites as part of their worship to God had to perform sacrificial burnt offerings of sheep, oxen, birds etc. The animals were killed first, a ritual in its self and then they were burnt according to various rules and regulations (Exodus 20:24, Leviticus chapter 1, Numbers 7:15-87 and Numbers 8:12).

Interesting Burials which were mentioned In The Bible
1. Sarah was buried in a cave. Genesis 23:19.
2. Abraham was buried in a cave. Genesis 25:9.
3. Deborah, Rebekah’s nurse was buried under a terebinth tree. Genesis 35:8.
4. Jacob, Joseph’s father (later known as Israel) was embalmed and then placed in a coffin as was the Egyptian custom. Genesis 50:2-3.
5. The bones of Joseph were taken from Egypt during the Israelites exodus and buried in a field in the Promised Land. Joshua 24:32.
6. Eleazar the son of Aaron was buried in a hill. Joshua 24:33.
7. Gideon was buried in the tomb of his father. Judges 8:32.
8. The prophet Samuel was buried at his home in Ramah. 1 Samuel 25:1.
9. King Saul’s body and that of his sons were recovered from the enemy, and then semi-cremated to remove the flesh, but the bones were buried under a tamarisk tree. 1 Samuel 31:12-13.
10. Asahel a foot soldier was chasing Abner, when he turned round and killed him. Asahel was then buried in his father’s tomb. 2 Samuel 2:22-23, 32.
11. Abner, chief of staff, was laid in a coffin, and a funeral procession was held in honour of David’s former enemy (who had been unjustly killed). 2 Samuel 3:31-36.
12. Absalom the ‘enemy rebel’ son of King David, was killed by his chief commander, and was cast into a pit in the woods - which was then overlaid with a pile of stones. 2 Samuel 18:17.
13. King Manasseh was buried in his own garden. 2 Kings 21:18.
14. King Asa was buried in his own tomb and was laid in a bed which was filled with spices and various ingredients prepared in a mixture of ointments. 2 Chronicles 16:14. Then they made a great burning for him (burning of the spices. 2 Chronicles 21:19b).
15. The sons and daughter of Judah died gruesome deaths. They were not buried, but lay on the ground as refuse, and to be eaten by the birds of the air and by beasts of the field Jeremiah 16:4.
16. After a large battle in Israel (by attacking Gog) the bones will be collected and buried in a mass grave in the valley of Hammon Gog. Ezekiel 39:11-15.
17. Jesus was wrapped in strips of linen with spices as was the custom of the Jews and was then laid in a borrowed tomb. John 19:40-41. Praise God that death could not hold Jesus, “He is not here for He is risen!” Matthew 28:6.

Generally speaking the word ‘burnt’ and ‘people’ combined are often used in a negative connotation - often used as a form of punishment to kill or defile, (whether the person was dead or alive). An example of this is seen when the godly King Josiah defiled the altars of Baal and burned the bones of the priests - upon their own altars, so as to desecrate them (2 Chronicles 34:1-5).

Molech was a god (which we know as a demonic being - as all false gods are) who the Canaanites sacrificed their living children too, ‘passing them through the fire,' (Leviticus 18:21 and Jeremiah 32:35). This was expressly forbidden by God.

After King Saul and his sons had been killed, their bodies were rescued from enemy territory. Their bodies were cremated to remove the flesh etc and then the bones were buried, (1 Samuel 31:12-13).

Judah’s daughter-in-law Tamar was accused of playing the harlot, so Judah wanted her to be burned – but caught in his own hypocrisy, it turned out that he was the culprit! (Genesis 38:24-26). Orthodox Judaism forbids the practice of cremation. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 speaks of the resurrection of those who died in Christ, who will come back with Jesus and the rapture of those believers who are still alive. Our bodies are going to be resurrected bodies, 1 Corinthians 15:51-58 and will be different from our earthly bodies. When Jesus was resurrected, He was not at first recognised on the road to Emmaus, Luke 24:13-37 and Mary at the tomb speaking to the ‘gardener’ did not recognise Him John 20:14-17. In Mark 12:25-27 Jesus speaks about the resurrection, and says that people will be ‘like’ angels.

It would appear that it is not important how your body is disposed of - as you will get a new resurrected one anyway. What about the faithful martyrs who had been thrown to the lions and other wild beasts or burnt at the stake? If cremation is wrong then what do you suppose will happen on the day of resurrection to all the missionaries who had been eaten by cannibals? As the by-product of both these processes, their bodies will be eventually turned to dust, just the same as a decomposing body. God is the God of the impossible; but what is really important is whether you die right with God or not. Is Jesus Christ the Lord of your life?

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?